Hello,

I am new Scouting and have volunteered to be a Tiger Cub Den Leader. I would like to get some help with a den flag. How many have a den flag at the meetings? Did you buy the one from the BSA or make you own? Pictures please!

I like jpstodwftexas's idea for a den flag, it looks really nice and hopefully the boys really appreciate the work that went into it. I, on the other hand, offer up the suggestion, that you sew a sleeve on one end of a white pillowcase so it fits on a rod, hand out permanent marking pens of various colors and let the boys have at it. Might be a good idea for a meeting program for the evening. Like jpsodwftesas says, there aren't any rules. Might want to take the boys out on a hike in the woods to find the flag pole amongst the dead trees in the area. :)

Stosh

Also, if you're on a suitable go-see-it, you might want your boys to look for symbols/landmarks in your community. Then decide which ones they want to incorporate on their flag. Finally, four words for you: Printable iron-on transfer paper.

The Idea was to add the appropriate Rank Patch as they aged..add the Wolf, Bear and Webelos. We have a cedar staff for it to Hhang on. I designed it so that there are loops to either hang horizontal or verticle. I made Ribbons to add from the staff for each event they attended, such as Veterans Day Parade, Christmas Parade, Pinewood Derby. etc...

Thanks all for the suggestions! I am thinking about making a den flag that is not just Tiger specific, but one that goes with the boys as they advance through the years. I like the symbol/landmark idea from something in our community. Anyone have any more pics they'd like to share?

The Idea was to add the appropriate Rank Patch as they aged..add the Wolf, Bear and Webelos. We have a cedar staff for it to Hhang on. I designed it so that there are loops to either hang horizontal or verticle. I made Ribbons to add from the staff for each event they attended, such as Veterans Day Parade, Christmas Parade, Pinewood Derby. etc...
Please tell me more about the cedar staff and ribbons!

Cedar Staff is made from a Salt Cedar..I found a nice branch about 7 ft long, stripped it down and Sanded it. Added a few Feathers and wrapped some parachute colored cord around it at the Top.

The Ribbons are Embroidered with Christmas Parade 2011, Veteran's Parade 2011. That way we commemorated each event we participated in.

One comment about iron-on transfers: I've never seen them hold up long term. My suggestion was just for a tiger flag (for that den that year). If your boys keep their den # as they move up, make that a central part of your flag.

We are starting Den flags in our Pack. My mom has Tigers and she has sewed down the Tiger Rank patch on the flag. Next year, the flag will go to Wolves and a Wolf rank patch will be added until they have all the rank patches

When we Carried it..It Hung Freely from The Staff.

When we needed to Mark our Campsite or an Particular area we hung it From the Top loops so It is Displayed Horizontal.

Originally I was Gonna add Gromments in the Corners To easily Display it

That is what we were going to do before the PACK has issues and a lot of Members transferred to a New Pack. We were going to add the Rank Patches all the way through and add arrow Light. In the Pack Dens stayed together and Flag retired when Boys crossed over and then Displayed on Scout Hut Walls.

The Boys gave me the Flag when I resigned from Pack. Of My Original 5 only 2 Stayed with Pack 2 Transferred 1 Quit.

• Downvote 1