OK, this isn't a scouting-related post but we all have sons & this forum is an excellent resource. So, here goes:

My son has 16,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Legos, or so it appears from a quick glance at his bedroom floor. I'm looking for some good organization & storage ideas. His collection is beyond the little Legos table you can buy at Toys R Us.

Help!

Clear plastic containers with lids that snap on tightly are good for this. I get them large enough to hold a lot of legos or knex or whatever building item they have, then since they can see through the container, they can identify what it is in without dumping out several. Check the dollar store if you have one near you, for often you can find containers like this. Good luck :)

This might be a great activity in a den or pack meeting--not sure if the troop would enjoy it so much. But we have so many, we could take buckets of them to a meeting, turn the families loose with them, and see what they could build as a team in a matter of minutes. I'm thinking of a gathering activity :)

So, if your son gets tired of his legos (at 10 & 11 mine aren't yet), they can still be used. Wallace, I like the under the bed storage; we've used the closet.

I got industrious a couple of years ago and built a lego table for my son. It is open underneath and has three of the deep three drawer plastic bins that normally have wheels on the bottom. I bult the top of the table with a lip all the way around it and a tray on the two long sides to hold legos you are working with. The table is tall enough to stand and do your work/play. The top has 8 base plates glued to it to build off of. I never got around to painting it though. Wouldn't you know though, all of the legos are on top of the table instead of in the drawers. Go figure! BTW, this table is too big to fit in a kid's bedroom and is in our bonus room upstairs where their is plenty of room. If we ever decide to move it, it will have to be torn apart as it is too big to fit thru the door.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I ended up at a craft store yesterday that had on sale a plastic 6-drawer rolling cart. My son and I sorted various colors into 5 of the drawers. For the 6th drawer, I bought a set of drawer dividers so he could stash away all the little Lego characters, wheels, windshields, steering wheels, etc.

We spent almost 3 hours sorting 1 big bin, 1 good size cardboard box, a shoebox & the stash underneath his chest of drawers. We still need to tackle the bottom of his toy box & what's been tossed in his desk.

Yep, I think 16,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 is a pretty good guesstimate.

• 1 year later...

LauraMO,

You have come to the right place! I am a MASSIVE LEGO collector. I constructed a city of Legos when I was a kid in my basement. An entire city, with roads my parents helped me paint etc... Massive buildings, the works! When I got older and it came time to take them down I just could not do it.

I have saved every buidling INTACT. My parents bought a bunch Jumbo-Bins. We filled them with that pop-corn packing material on the bottom of the bin. Then we placed each building in carefully, filling in pop-corn around each and every Lego item. It took a lot of bins to fit my enitre collection though. We recently moved, and it was a nice trip down memory lane looking through the clear bins. We also labeled each bin to whatever part of the city the buildings were from (Waterfront, Military, Police & Rescure etc..)

It took about 4 trips with 2 suv's to get all of the bins to the new house.

God help my future wife when I bring them home...:)

Anyway, feel free to Private Message me if you have any questions! I'd be glad to help!

YIS

Yall ever hear of the 'Lego Shuffle'?

That's when you are walking across the room in the morning with a cup of coffee in your hand, and you slide your feet across the floor to avoid stepping on a Lego and getting a REAL wake up call!

Yow!