Alleged Utah Scout Leaders Topple Goblin Valley Rock Formations

LNT ...bit of Irony...look to the Summitt...What kind of Trace did we Leave there..All those Natural BMX Bike Trails, The Natural Skateboard Parks..The Treehouse...The Zip Lines
Yes, the Summit is reclaimed strip mine land. I doubt if any tree there is more than 25 years old. Gullies are now "lakes", trails are sculpted, camp sites are leveled and sloped fpr drainage.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made the national news too.       So I wonder if making the national news destroying a state treasure while video taping your self whooping and carrying on is enough to get you kicked out???  

Gawd I hope this news report is wrong about these turnips being in Scouting.   "A group of Boy Scout leaders is potentially facing felony charges for destroying a rock formation millions of years o

I saw it on national news last night and I was stunned, speechless. I can hardly comprehend the arrogance and stupidity of this and I feel angry and ashamed and I don't know how to 'make this right'.

Dumbass Taylor, Jr. ought to be kicked out, too. If he advanced one more rank after cheering on his litigious fatso dad it would be over my dead body.
Ding Dong, I've met Larry the cable guy.... please don't insult HIS intellect by lumping him in with these idiots in need of a village.
LNT ...bit of Irony...look to the Summitt...What kind of Trace did we Leave there..All those Natural BMX Bike Trails, The Natural Skateboard Parks..The Treehouse...The Zip Lines
Well, like it or not, any time we use wilderness (or other land) we effect it. Sacrificial sites are necessary in order to adversely effect the least amount of land. it's just pragmatism, which is sometimes lame.
And one of the culprit's character is turning out to be even more deplorable. He's apparently strong enough to hike around and topple a large rock, but is still suing someone for his "disability" caused in an auto accident. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/10/man-who-toppled-ancient-rock-suing-for-disability/

This man needs to be kicked out of the BSA.

I'll be here all week! Try the veal!
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
At the risk of angering some here who may be LDS, it has been my personal observation that many of the stories we hear regarding deaths, injuries and just dumb antics come from LDS troops. Not all, but many. I'm not anti-LDS. I don't know what it is like in Utah where the vast majority of scouts are LDS, but where I'm from, the LDS troops participate in nothing......including training. Most LDS leaders don't register because they want to, but because they are directed to. They use the Boy Scout program, but they don't necessarily follow the Boy Scout program. I believe that if they would participate in the available training and network with units and leaders outside of LDS, they would be the better for it. Just my .02 cents. I apologize if that is offensive to anyone.
You brought out the issue that is clear to most non-LDS scouters. In my district, most of the LDS unit leaders don't know what a scouting unit is, they don't like to go to training, and are just waiting to get away from their calling. It's that secret we don't want to say out loud.

It's just something we don't want to say out loud. However, when when I first read the story I told people, "I bet that was a Mormon group...." And yep... Learned later I was right..

• 2 months later...
I think they got off easy.

Really? In the grand scheme of things, this seems proportionate and appropriate. What did you expect, prison time?

In addition to monetary damages, I would have them put it back, using the same equipment they used to take it down. 2 - 6 days in jail wouldn't be unreasonable.

Really? In the grand scheme of things, this seems proportionate and appropriate. What did you expect, prison time?

The amount they pay is tiny. I would force them to community service in the park service cleaning toilets.