Alleged Utah Scout Leaders Topple Goblin Valley Rock Formations

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made the national news too.       So I wonder if making the national news destroying a state treasure while video taping your self whooping and carrying on is enough to get you kicked out???  

Gawd I hope this news report is wrong about these turnips being in Scouting.   "A group of Boy Scout leaders is potentially facing felony charges for destroying a rock formation millions of years o

I saw it on national news last night and I was stunned, speechless. I can hardly comprehend the arrogance and stupidity of this and I feel angry and ashamed and I don't know how to 'make this right'.

It is hard to comprehend that someone would think that what they were doing was the "greater good". Living in the south, the woods are full of "good-timers" that leave a trail of trash and damage. The pristine beaches are full of trash washed up on shore that are the results of storm run-off, "good-timers" littering, and careless individuals. I traveled to Escalante National Monument to spend a week there for a Master Educator Course with NOLS for Leave No Trace. It was worth my precious vacation time, air fare, and course fees. LNT is becoming more important each day as our nation's treasures dwindle to mismanagement.

I led a LNT Trainer class last month, and as we hiked in to our site, the sky was so beautiful (rare due to the humidity), that the boys chose not to build a fire. I was impressed as they all slept under the stars and talked to late into the night. Our LNT Trainer classes are very popular with the boys because the concentrate more on the world around them instead of being entertained.

I do sometimes feel that the problem with LNT principles in scouting is the scout leaders, not the scouts. I have found the scouts to be receptive and eager to learn and apply.

Hammocks are another "cool" thing with the LNT scouts. Check out the comments at http://lnt.org/blog/hammock-camping.

Get the Bulldozers Out and Level Everything Down to Flat..The Outdoors is UNsafe..

If It was that Dangerous they should not have filmed and Laughed about it..

No One would have Known, boulders laying everywhere.

LNT problem, everyone interprets it differently..I was Told I could Not Hammock Camp by one leader.

From Chicago Tribune http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-utah-rock-20131018,0,6795012.story

A Boy Scouts of America spokesman said the organization was also reviewing the matter and would take appropriate action.

"We are shocked and disappointed by this reprehensible behavior. For more than a century, the Boy Scouts of America has been a leader in conservation - from stewardship to sustainability," Boy Scouts spokesman Deron Smith said.

"The isolated actions of these individuals are absolutely counter to our beliefs and what we teach," he said.

Yeah right, that's the talk. National should have removed them from the BSA in time for the evening news last night.

My $0.02,

I saw it on national news last night and I was stunned, speechless. I can hardly comprehend the arrogance and stupidity of this and I feel angry and ashamed and I don't know how to 'make this right'. The national news showed the video complete with loud, gleeful laughter as these morons successfully vandalized the formation. But I can tell you that in the last 12 hours, I've had more calls from scouts and scouters about this one event than ALL of the gay membership issue. I would not characterize the whole state of Utah on the basis of the thoughtless actions of a few scouter/vandals, but it is clear that a lot of people will use this to characterize scouting. I am completely disgusted.

• Downvote 1
According to the LA Times story, the three "Scout" leaders were out there with eight Boy Scouts, who had spent the afternoon playing hot lava on the goblins.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-utah-boy-scout-leader-toppling-rock-safety-concerns-20131018,0,334713.story

I had to look up what the game was. From the sounds of it, if the boys are trying to travel without walking on the ground (ie. staying on the paths).. Then one can imagine them climbing all over these formations in an incorrect manner.. Because of this the Scout leaders could see the rock formations as dangerous, but only because they were already violating LNT rules and I would assume the rules of the park..

But that is a bunch of assumtions.. It would be interesting to see if some who were in this State park on this crowded day will speak up about the scouts being in violation of Park rules and LNT while playing this game, and who know doing what else.. They sound more and more like a group of baffoons that had used the name of Scouting to form a fun group that had no interest in doing the Scouting program.

There's no doubt these guys are idiots and they are lying through their teeth to rationalize what they did. At the same time the death threats and the media attention is solely because they are associated with the Boy Scouts. I've been to this park and it's just a giant play ground. The kids absolutely love playing there and it shows. There are paths worn everywhere. People carve their names into the sandstone. There is not much of nature left to enjoy. The idea that these yokels destroyed some pristine natural area is a farce.

There's no doubt these guys are idiots and they are lying through their teeth to rationalize what they did. At the same time the death threats and the media attention is solely because they are associated with the Boy Scouts. I've been to this park and it's just a giant play ground. The kids absolutely love playing there and it shows. There are paths worn everywhere. People carve their names into the sandstone. There is not much of nature left to enjoy. The idea that these yokels destroyed some pristine natural area is a farce.
It's still minus one goblin due to idiotic behaviour.
I saw it on national news last night and I was stunned, speechless. I can hardly comprehend the arrogance and stupidity of this and I feel angry and ashamed and I don't know how to 'make this right'. The national news showed the video complete with loud, gleeful laughter as these morons successfully vandalized the formation. But I can tell you that in the last 12 hours, I've had more calls from scouts and scouters about this one event than ALL of the gay membership issue. I would not characterize the whole state of Utah on the basis of the thoughtless actions of a few scouter/vandals, but it is clear that a lot of people will use this to characterize scouting. I am completely disgusted.
Yep. Bad news travels fast. It's probably one of the top 2 or 3 stories showing up on my Facebook feed over the last 24 hours.
So you don't define a rock formation that has been there for 170 million years nature? I don't recall reading "everybody's doing it, so we can too" in the Scout handbook.