Eagle Court of Honor Dilemna

Something that is missing from the discussion is the scout's desires. I had many scouts, who given the choice, would just soon skip it. The scout who had the COH at his house was absolutley adamante that he didn't want a big deal in front of the troop. The presentation at the house was a compromise for his parents. I do like the Aircraft Carrier idea. I wonder if we have one in Oklahoma. Barry

Something that is missing from the discussion is the scout's desires. I had many scouts, who given the choice, would just soon skip it. The scout who had the COH at his house was absolutley adamante that he didn't want a big deal in front of the troop. The presentation at the house was a compromise for his parents. I do like the Aircraft Carrier idea. I wonder if we have one in Oklahoma. Barry
Hmmm, You are correct, but then I had assumed that the boy, himself, would be letting everyone know what HE wanted. My mistake.

If a boy doesn't want an ECOH, so be it. It's his day, let him define what he wants.

If it was me, I would want my buddies gathered on a small plot of land along the whitewater river I have canoed/kayaked for the past 20 years. I'd even go the extra mile and have hobo lunches instead of cold sandwiches and string cheese. :)

I guess the only disappointment would be we couldn't get the aircraft carrier down such a small river. :(

Stosh

Congrats to you both. Like the man said, it is up to you and your family to decide how and what your ceremony consists of. Proud mom and dad might want to write to the Governors Mansion and White House and County Councilman's office and ask for their "Eagle Congrats" letters. Look real sharp , framed on the wall or at the ceremony.

Ceremony: Many moon ago, mine was a simple CoH (three Eagles at same time) with the Troop and families in attendance. Finger food after in the church social hall.

Scoutson had to be convinced that the family deserved and HE deserved some recognition. Special Troop CoH, many past Scout folks that had known him came. Family friend catered a BBQ for all afterward, we had BBQ frozen for months afterward (Scoutson's work lunches that summer!)..

Do some google time, find Eagle Charges and scripts. Ask folks from your past (teachers, uncles, aunts, friends ) to attend and maybe embarrass you with remembrances. It will all be worth it, trust me. Make it as fancy or simple but elegant as you wish.

The most memorable one I ever attended was for two brothers. They had a camp out in the back woods on their grandparents farm. Troop had camped there before, and there were lots of good memories there. Folks had to hike in with chairs and tables and such about 500 yards, set up, the nascent Eagles did the cooking, burgers and hot dogs and salads and such. After the official stuff, the candles were put out, the campfire burned late into the night and morning. Many memories were remembered and remade.

Good luck to you and your buds. Oh, and do what you can to help your Troop rebuild. Show the kids in the neighborhood the fun and challenge of Scouting.

I think ceehnis understands it's his choice. He was asking for ideas in post #4.
We could offer up a ton of idea from nothing to aircraft carriers and it isn't going to be of much value to someone who doesn't know what he wants in the first place.

It's kinda reflective of the energy put into WoodBadge ceremonies. Some had elaborate ceremonies in a ton of different locations under differing circumstances. I got mine in the mail and that was just fine for me. :)

It might be a good time for a SMC where the SM who knows the boy can maybe help him sort out what works for him.

Stosh

jblake47, it's called brain-storming, and it's very effective at getting the ideas flowing. Maybe he doesn't know exactly what he wants, but by asking us to throw out ideas, it gets his own thoughts going.
Congrats to you both. Like the man said, it is up to you and your family to decide how and what your ceremony consists of. Proud mom and dad might want to write to the Governors Mansion and White House and County Councilman's office and ask for their "Eagle Congrats" letters. Look real sharp , framed on the wall or at the ceremony.

Ceremony: Many moon ago, mine was a simple CoH (three Eagles at same time) with the Troop and families in attendance. Finger food after in the church social hall.

Scoutson had to be convinced that the family deserved and HE deserved some recognition. Special Troop CoH, many past Scout folks that had known him came. Family friend catered a BBQ for all afterward, we had BBQ frozen for months afterward (Scoutson's work lunches that summer!)..

Do some google time, find Eagle Charges and scripts. Ask folks from your past (teachers, uncles, aunts, friends ) to attend and maybe embarrass you with remembrances. It will all be worth it, trust me. Make it as fancy or simple but elegant as you wish.

The most memorable one I ever attended was for two brothers. They had a camp out in the back woods on their grandparents farm. Troop had camped there before, and there were lots of good memories there. Folks had to hike in with chairs and tables and such about 500 yards, set up, the nascent Eagles did the cooking, burgers and hot dogs and salads and such. After the official stuff, the candles were put out, the campfire burned late into the night and morning. Many memories were remembered and remade.

Good luck to you and your buds. Oh, and do what you can to help your Troop rebuild. Show the kids in the neighborhood the fun and challenge of Scouting.

Posted in wrong thread...oops

We have scouts that play musical instruments (usually guitars and keyboards) play what they suggest (obviously within reason - Green Day Songs are a big one), Pictures of our favorite activities (these scouts love to see themselves on the screen), homemade movies, and whatever else they want.

We have some with scout cooked food, and some with mom cooked food.

Generally the scouts have MBs, other advancements, and any other special recognition in these ECOHs.

It is their activity but we do have the basic Eagle scout parts.

We try to make it a celebration of their accomplishment, more than just a ceremony. We still hold to the reverence of the honor, but try balance it with what the scouts enjoy.

It seems to work for us

Hi,

I'm new to the site so bear with me.

Recently, another scout and I from our very small troop earned the rank of Eagle. While both of us were waiting for our troop committee to plan the ceremony, we were told by our Assistant Scoutmaster that the other scout and I had to plan our own Court of Honor.

Has anybody ever heard of this happening before? What do you suggest he and I do?

Thanks much

It's pretty much the standard. You have the privilege of planning your own ECOH. Run with it and enjoy. Google Eagle Court of Honor, and you will get many choices. Anyway, this should be an easy thing to do--you planned an Eagle project, and did a lot of similar things in Communication Merit badge. Have fun.

No two Eagle ceremonies are ever, or should be, the same. You're only limited by your imagination--have fun with it!
Are they Venture Scouts? Family members? Is it happening on Assateague Island? Just so they are properly uniformed (there are BSA swim suits...) and appropriately clothed for the occasion.....
Do you have any suggestions of what to do? We might have a total of 4 scouts there, including the other eagle and I.
At your ECOH, feel free to invite whoever you want. Invite teachers and MBCs and neighbors and family friends and relatives. Treat it as you would a Confirmation (for Catholics and other Christians who do confirmations), or a high school graduation. This is a big deal.