Summer Camp - In Council or Out?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Living in Florida and camping every month year around, our troop found it was an adventure for the boys and an experience for adults to go someplace a little cooler. We normally went to NE Georgia or

I'm in the cubs now as a leader, so this is all just "entertainment" for me at this point.... If a troop camps often, I can't imagine them wanting to stay local for the big summer event. Especially

We're happy with our council camp but have looked into a second week at a camp out of council. I know some local troops that go out of council and I've never heard of them getting any grief. It seems

We're happy with our council camp but have looked into a second week at a camp out of council. I know some local troops that go out of council and I've never heard of them getting any grief. It seems interesting that councils will give units a hard time for going out of council, but they will actively seek out troops from other councils to come to their camp. Camp, like troops, should put out a good program and people will come.

• Upvote 1
Here is the flipside question. How many Troops from outside your Council actually come to your camps? If you have more coming to your Council, that's a good thing. If not and the local Council Troops are not, that's a bad thing.
None....Basically we are Told we are a First Year Campers Camp...No One is gonna send First Year Campers to us, since we don't have facilities or Adventure Programs...We have Out of State Councils sending us Cds about their programs. we got a Discs from Middle Tennessee Council last year
Here is the flipside question. How many Troops from outside your Council actually come to your camps? If you have more coming to your Council, that's a good thing. If not and the local Council Troops are not, that's a bad thing.
And there is an example of Supply and Demand. It looks like you have neither. I hope your Council Exec Board figures this out and does something to resolve it quickly.
My council and/or OA requires in council every other year. (I know many have said they can't do that and I have not looked into it in depth yet.) It doesn't seem right to me, but we do have an excellent facility. The MB program is not as extensive as yours and seems weak on choices to me. I honestly would like to see scouts do 2 or 3 max and do them well and have some fun. 5 is to much. I would like to see a goal of traveling to a different region every other year.
Well, your OA lodge can't "require" you to do anything. This all has to be emanating from the SE. Your COR is an ex officio member of the District Committee and the only one in your unit who has a vote. Make sure they are attending and voicing their displeasure.
As Council VP for Program I promote our camp heavily. I always ask units to work the Council camp into their rotations. I don't demand that they attend. I sincerely hope that they are going where the boys and the PLC want to go and not letting the adults decide. I too have units that will not attend our camp due to something that happened 15 years ago. The sad part is the the NCAP program is designed to force Councils to justify their camps through an evaluation of program, facilities and finances.Having your own units support your camp helps tremendously when going through NCAPBe warned the National and Regional folks are looking at your local camp's results and can close your camp.

Just as in any other business, if the Camp wants to be successful and survive, they need to produce a product that is in demand. The weather cannot be controlled, and if that is the primary reason Scouts go elsewhere, then perhaps it needs to close. That would break my heart, though.
Like Kahuna we like to go to a cooler place up in the Mountains during the summer so we are out of council. Our in-council is like the flames of hell in June (but fine for winter camp). We usually go to Woodruff SR in Blairsville or Camp Daniel Boone in the Blue Ridge. I think we get higher attendance because of the topographic change. Now if we had summer camp by the beach we might stay...hmmmm.
I have not been. We did Woodruff 4 years in a row and I missed Boone. I heard the topography was better, water colder, food worse, and staff less engaged than Woodruff. But some of the older boys liked it. Could tell you by July ,14.
Living in Florida and camping every month year around, our troop found it was an adventure for the boys and an experience for adults to go someplace a little cooler. We normally went to NE Georgia or North Carolina, both of which have hills and white water rafting available. They also gave us a chance to interact with leaders and units from other places. We were fortunate to have a troop that was well off enough that money was not a big deal, so that really wasn't a consideration. One of our greatest experiences was a week of summer camp at Owasippe in Michigan. That was really a worthwhile trip. Total change of culture, not to mention weather.
Kahuna, our Troop typically goes in-council, too, but next year the Scouts voted on my suggestion that we attend Woodruff Scout Reservation in Blairsville, GA as a change of pace. We have nothing against Ed Bryant Scout Reservation. On the contrary! We love going to EBSR but I thought it would be a nice variation to see a different "culture", as you say. Woodruff offers the whitewater rafting and many other things that EBSR does not. (I have to admit that I'm interested in seeing Woodruff after 20 years! I went there as a Scout when in the Atlanta Area Council.)

Our troop is sending the 14+ boys to Seabase, and the SM anounced that because that, and the need for additional parents, the rest of the troop would be going to our local camp.

My son, who just crossed over this spring interrupted, and said "Wait, I thought we get to vote on that!"

He was immediately put in charge of researching camps, and presenting his recommendations to the PLC.

I was so proud, of both my son and the way the SM handled it. :)

Our troop is sending the 14+ boys to Seabase, and the SM anounced that because that, and the need for additional parents, the rest of the troop would be going to our local camp.

My son, who just crossed over this spring interrupted, and said "Wait, I thought we get to vote on that!"

He was immediately put in charge of researching camps, and presenting his recommendations to the PLC.

I was so proud, of both my son and the way the SM handled it. :)

My kudos to the SM, well done! Same kudos to your son who had the courage to speak up and set the record straight on boy-led!..Gee, wouldn't it be fantastic if all boys got this chance?

Stosh

Yep they asked us a couple of years ago at roundtable those in council were applauded and those who the rest were cat called or met with a hiss. When they do it this year I am going to stand up and object and say what does it matter as long as they are going.

go where you want.

We don't get free advancement because we go out of council to summer camp.....Let me see, We save $50 per boy and the program is better.

I've promised myself that the next time this happens, I'm just walking out. And I stay sitting when they call my unit.

I've seen that done too for friends of scouting or JTE or one of another things. I've hit JTE and FOS plenty of times. But the recognition is done more so that you don't want be one of the group still sitting.

• 1 month later...

It should be a decision made by the Patrol Leader's Council, with guidance (presenting the pros and cons) of the Scoutmaster. Would love to see your Council's response if someone stated "In our boy-led Troop the PLC made the decision to go to (the camp outside of Council) beause of xyz"...

• Upvote 1
This has been a hot topic for years within our Council. Anyone else??????? We have two camps within our council that are good camps but seem better suited to younger Scouts (IMO). For the last three years we have attended summer camp at Tesomas and have enjoyed it but our troop gets the stink eye from some of the council leaders for going out of council. I say it's up to the boys and the leaders where we go. Thoughts?????

Tesomas ROCKS. We've been there three times and plan on going back next summer as well. The boys all universally made the call to schedule our visit while we were at the camp the prior year. Now, having said that, we're investigating alternatives for 2015 as it would be kind of nice to try something new. We probably will go out of council as the council camps don't have dining halls. We could talk all day long about the patrol method and eating as a patrol, yet we factor in the time required for that. You can easily eat up (ha ha) 3 or more hours per days planning and cleaning up after meals.

Living in Florida, summer camp is just not practical down here. I mean it is flat brutal. We compromise. We head to GA/NC mountains in the summer and do the winter camp in council. BTW, you Yankees may want to look into these Fla winter camps. Nights in the low 40s, high 30s; days in the 60s and 70s. Good MB and adult training offerings. If you want, you can tie it into a side trip to Disney or Busch Gardens. Usually happens the week after Xmas or the 1st week of January.