Summer Camp - In Council or Out?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Living in Florida and camping every month year around, our troop found it was an adventure for the boys and an experience for adults to go someplace a little cooler. We normally went to NE Georgia or

I'm in the cubs now as a leader, so this is all just "entertainment" for me at this point.... If a troop camps often, I can't imagine them wanting to stay local for the big summer event. Especially

We're happy with our council camp but have looked into a second week at a camp out of council. I know some local troops that go out of council and I've never heard of them getting any grief. It seems

As Council VP for Program I promote our camp heavily. I always ask units to work the Council camp into their rotations. I don't demand that they attend. I sincerely hope that they are going where the boys and the PLC want to go and not letting the adults decide. I too have units that will not attend our camp due to something that happened 15 years ago. The sad part is the the NCAP program is designed to force Councils to justify their camps through an evaluation of program, facilities and finances.Having your own units support your camp helps tremendously when going through NCAPBe warned the National and Regional folks are looking at your local camp's results and can close your camp.

As Council VP for Program I promote our camp heavily. I always ask units to work the Council camp into their rotations. I don't demand that they attend. I sincerely hope that they are going where the boys and the PLC want to go and not letting the adults decide. I too have units that will not attend our camp due to something that happened 15 years ago. The sad part is the the NCAP program is designed to force Councils to justify their camps through an evaluation of program, facilities and finances.Having your own units support your camp helps tremendously when going through NCAPBe warned the National and Regional folks are looking at your local camp's results and can close your camp.

I am ok with that.

Camps are expensive and are excuses given for hidden bloated budgets. That 80k they need to upgrade the pool. another 1.2 million for a dining hall.

Scouting has become bloated. Everyone complains about the low quality of the merit badges at summer camps. Doing away with the poorest performing ones is a good thing.

So what do I need in a scout camp beyond a summer camp. A kybo is nice and that is it. how much to maintain a chuck of land with a few trails on it and a dozen campsites and kybos. don't even need running water.

Base,

With the new NCAP program, you need nice buildings, pools, running water, etc etc. I had to deal with that some this summer as our CSDC is run on a council camp. the 300+ page document is a major PITA that drove me to drink at time this past year. In fact the NCAP is such a PITA that one NCS staffer made the comment, after reading something I wrote, that alcohol should be a budgeted item for CSDC planning as everyone at NCS had issues with NCAP.

My understanding of NCAP, and someone with more expereince with it please correct me if I am wrong, is that it is based upon the most stringent local laws in regards to camps, tries to come up with a universal standard to meet these local laws, and unfortunatley is a means to see fi a camp is worth the effort to invest in to keep up to par, or to sell it.

That said, I bet there are a lot of camps out there that if the BSA tries to sell, the property will revert to the original owners.

Our troop used to camp local (1.5 miles from CO) every year. The year before my son crossed, they went to summer camp where one of the ASM went as a scout, and then back to base camp. After another year at the distant camp, the troop voted to try something else to create a three year cycle. next summer, we are back to the local camp. Interesting how all three camps get some votes from scouts as their favorite summer camp. We do like the rotation since the scouts have visited the local camp quite a few times in their Cub Scout and Boy Scout years. I was surprised to hear the Prof Scouter in charge of camping say that he recommends a rotation, as long as we include our Council camp. It actually helps to bring ideas back to our Council camp.

Our troop used to camp local (1.5 miles from CO) every year. The year before my son crossed, they went to summer camp where one of the ASM went as a scout, and then back to base camp. After another year at the distant camp, the troop voted to try something else to create a three year cycle. next summer, we are back to the local camp. Interesting how all three camps get some votes from scouts as their favorite summer camp. We do like the rotation since the scouts have visited the local camp quite a few times in their Cub Scout and Boy Scout years. I was surprised to hear the Prof Scouter in charge of camping say that he recommends a rotation, as long as we include our Council camp. It actually helps to bring ideas back to our Council camp.
How did woodland trails go last summer????? I tried to IM you but the system doesn't work.
How did woodland trails go last summer????? I tried to IM you but the system doesn't work.
Woodland Trails was GREAT! About half of the scouts thought it was their favorite camp (compared to Friedlander and Frontier), while others liked one of the others. Many of the younger scouts really didn't like the OLD KYBO setup. The staff was AWESOME, from CIT all the way up to the CSE, who we at camp a lot that week. Several of the scouts want to be on staff at WTSR next summer.

I helped with Swimming and Archery and was impressed with those areas.

I tried to IM you, as well, with the same results. Wondered how your visit at Friedlander went. We will be there July 13-19 next summer. There will be more OOC troops there that week

We go out. Anyone hassles you, just tell them your reasons. Up to the council to step up their game and make their camp something worth going to.

You keep going to Tesomas...that'll make room at your camp for our troop...I've heard good things about that one though

Once you attend Tesomas I think you will be hooked!

We rotate.

Lost Valley near Indio, CA is our Council Camp. Nice place.

Emerald Bay run by the LA Council is on Catalina Island. Awesome place for summer camp, and a great program for Venture (their Rugged program is great, and the best deal for getting a SCUBA license).

Camp Whitsett offers whitewater rafting, another out of Council location.

Camp Chawanakee is up in the Sierras, on a lake, offers sailing, canoeing, rowing and a mile swim all in a freezing cold lake in the mountains.

By rotating, our boys don't get bored from going to the same place every year (nor do our adults who burn a week of vacation to attend).

We started the rotation when our in-Council reservation was cancelled because our week was going to be LDS week, and we were no longer welcome. That was long ago, but the Council handled it very poorly at the time and it left a bad taste in the unit's mouth.

We use our scout reservation for many activities throughout the year, and even do some short term camping at that facility, but we usually send the 12-14 year olds there and then send the older boys to camps with more hight adventure activities.

I will complement the council because they have added ATV and Scuba to the program over the last few years.

This has been a hot topic for years within our Council. Anyone else??????? We have two camps within our council that are good camps but seem better suited to younger Scouts (IMO). For the last three years we have attended summer camp at Tesomas and have enjoyed it but our troop gets the stink eye from some of the council leaders for going out of council. I say it's up to the boys and the leaders where we go. Thoughts?????

It's up to the boys and leaders. Our local council camp is barely adequate. The boys don't like to go there.

We go out. Anyone hassles you, just tell them your reasons. Up to the council to step up their game and make their camp something worth going to.

You keep going to Tesomas...that'll make room at your camp for our troop...I've heard good things about that one though

I'm with you. If they want us to camp there, they need to step up their game. I'm a believer in the free market.
Like Kahuna we like to go to a cooler place up in the Mountains during the summer so we are out of council. Our in-council is like the flames of hell in June (but fine for winter camp). We usually go to Woodruff SR in Blairsville or Camp Daniel Boone in the Blue Ridge. I think we get higher attendance because of the topographic change. Now if we had summer camp by the beach we might stay...hmmmm.
How is Camp Daniel Boone? Our troop has decided to go there this summer (we already have reservations)