Can a SM ban OA elections?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only a matter of time before BSA removes the term "master" due to the historically injurious connotations.   

Lol, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Not only that, the adults aren't supposed to be the leaders in a properly run troop.

What bsa policy allows an SM to ban elections totally. I'd like to see that in writing.

Whether it says so in any official print doesn't alter the reality of any SM's actions in the field.

At the end of the day the Unit leader must sign off on those put up for election to the OA. So if the Unit leader refuses to sign off he can effectively ban the election.

However, I do not believe that doing so follows the ScoutnOath and Law. By refusing to sign off the Unit leader is in effect saying that none of his scouts meet the requirements. Since the only subjective requirements are if the Scout in question meets the the Scout spirit and adherence to Oath and Law requirements, he is in effect saying that he scouts do not (assuming they meet rank and camping requirements).

If he truly believes that to be the case I would question his effectiveness as a Unit leader. If none of his scouts adhere to the Oath and Law and do not show Scout spirit, he isn't doing a very good job as a Unit leader.

Hopefully leaving Helpful Tracks

Whether it says so in any official print doesn't alter the reality of any SM's actions in the field.

Quite true. We ran in to a troop doing ATVs this past weekend. What folks do and what they're allowed to do are two different animals. I was also curious to see if there was some hidden, hard to find BSA rule that said SMs could not allow OA elections. I agree that saying the Scouts may not qualify by not having exhibited the Oath or Law gives the SM that option, but you'd have to have a pretty significant failure of leadership (by the SM) to get to that point. 

What bsa policy allows an SM to ban elections totally. I'd like to see that in writing.

The Scoutmaster or Varsity Scout Coach holds the responsibility of certifying a Scout’s eligibility before placement on an Order of the Arrow election ballot. The unit leader’s certification is as of the date of the election, and any Scout who meets the camping and other requirements as of that date should be listed on the election ballot. This approval is not one of preferential treatment or specific selection for membership rooted in the unit leader’s own vision, but one of qualifying a candidate for eligibility. By including a Scout’s name on the list of those whose names should appear on an election ballot, the unit leader certifies that: 

• The Scout is a currently registered active member of the troop or team 
  • The Scout exhibits Scout spirit by living in accordance with the Scout Oath and Law 
  • The Scout fulfills all other Order of the Arrow membership requirements Clearly, the unit leader’s approval is earned through merit in Scouting. 

The unit leader has two roles with the OA: an administrative certification that the objective requirements are met and a more judgment-oriented one with the Scout spirit requirement that the Scout, in his or her opinion, has been a “good Scout†and lives up to the obligations taken in the Scout Oath and Scout Law. This requirement helps to uphold the high standard that OA membership warrants.

http://www.oa-bsa.org/uploads/publications/GuideToUnitElections2015.pdf

Edited by krikkitbot