The thread about Eagle prompted me to look at the requirements for Eagle Scout and was surprised. I had long been told that an Eagle project could not benefit Scouting. However, the requirment says "should not." So it seems that this is not a hard and fast rule.

Gerneally, in our area, "should not" has long been taken to mean "shall not". The general belief is that there are more than ample opportunities for challenging projects outside that venue in the wide but local world. That being said, we've never really been presented with a project proposal in our council that proposes to do work on council property, or for the benefit of the council. I'm guessing, but I imagine that most involved would simply say "no" to such a proposal. We'll apparently have to rethink that stance.

Like saltheart, my experience in watching the boys going for Eagle in my son's troop is that this "should not" is taken to mean "shall not" or "must not." (I would say "may not," but some of us seem to have a problem with that phrase. Maybe smoke gets in their eyes?)

Maybe there is more about this in that workbook they give the Life Scouts to begin working on Eagle. I have never had occasion to read one. For those of you who have, is there something more definitive about whether the project "may" benefit Scouting? I realize that if the answer is yes, that raises an issue of potential conflict with the actual requirements. Or, it may mean that "should not" is really supposed to mean "must not," but whoever wrote the requirement was trying to be diplomatic.

In the book "Scouts Honor" the author wrote about a boy's Eagle project which was researching the history of his troop. One could argue that the project did not benefit the troop. I like the idea of a research project and not "build something" like 90% of all other Eagle projects. Comments?

Man i don't remember what it says in the eagle project book but as far as my troop goes nobody does there project to benifit scouting or the CO. (we have an american legion as our sponser) If i ever get a hold of another one i'll be sure too look it up.

I kept my head down when this initially came up, but I'll fess up now.

Many years ago, my DE knew I was looking for a meaningful Eagle project and asked me if I would be willing to start a new troop in a part of town that didn't have one. I naively agreed. Wow what a lot of work! I wont go into the details, but even today I dont know how I managed to do it. One of my best memories of the day my Eagle was presented was a 2-troop formation with all the guys and adults there to celebrate with me.

One could say that this benefited Scouting, but in my mind the whole purpose of the project was to benefit a bunch of guys in a community that didnt have the opportunities offered by Scouting.

Im not sure I would wish a project this extensive on any Scout, but can envision some situations where a case could be made to support a project wherein an Eagle candidate from a strong, mature troop leads a team of experienced Scouts in providing training and mentorship to a fledgling troop. Would be easiest to justify if this brought Scouting into a community that didnt already have other troops. Just a thought.

-mike

I remember my Eagle project, I washed and waxed the home room floor in the Seminary I was attending. Got down on my knees and rubbed off all the heel marks.

As has been noted here many times, the Boy Scout Program does change requirements on occasion. What served as an Eagle project in the past may not qualify today.

The following is taken from the Boy Scout Website:

http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?c=xds&terms=eagle&x=27&y=4

The second paragraph entitled "The Requirement"

in part says

"...While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to your religious institution, school, or your community. (The project should benefit an organization other than the BSA.)..."

Now, there is that tricky word "should", but hold on,

In the fourth paragraph, entitled "Limitations" it says. "...Work involving council property or other BSA activity is not permitted...."

So, I guess the summary is, an Eagle project might benefit the BSA (because the line says should), but the work cannot involve council property or any other BSA activity. Not sure how you could benefit the BSA without working on Council property or other BSA activity.

"Work involving council property or other BSA activity is not permitted...."

What the heck does that mean? I must be missing something.

Logic tells me that if working on a BSA activity is not permitted and Eagle projects by definition are a BSA activity, and that the completion of an Eagle project is a requirement for the Eagle rank that obtaining the Eagle rank is impossible.

Hey, Acco, I know what you mean, Say, if you think about it, if the BSA, doesnt want to benefit from an Eagle Project, why should another organization allow an Eagle project to benefit them ?

Help, Mr Wizard !!!

::Drizzle Drassle Drussel Drone, Time for this one to come home::

Mr. Wizard is here . . . or at least as it's possible to come.

building a bridge across a creek at the council camp is not an Eagle project. Doing so does nothing to benefit scouting in the community, but only to benefit the scouting community.

I would argue that the requirement allows an Eagle Scout to start a Boy Scout Troop as a service project to the community. It does not operate on council property and the community is benefitted by having another community organization using the scouting program to benefit it's youth.

However, although I'm a bit of a Scouting buff (full-time for 15 years) I am not an advancement chairman for the unit, district, or the council. The call belongs to those who must sign off on the application.

DS

This requirement seems to have been different at some other point in time. At a former summer camp, (now just a run down little council camp) there is a trail that was created as an Eagle project. The dedication plaque list the date. I think it was early 1970s.

Most of the Eagle projects our scouts have performed recently benefit the Town. The Town was recently awarded a former Coast Guard property and the scouts have:

Built a picnic area, a walking trail, repaired and upgraded a canoe launch area. Our current Eagle candidate is building and placing doggie clean up bag holders along the town beaches.

There is a significant bias towards building or constructing something in our area. At one point I was told, I don't know if it was true, one scout was told his project had to be built out of wood or it didn't count. That is no longer true, but the bias towards a structure or physical thing remains.

My project was to clean up a vacant lot in our town in NJ. I'm sure it could not be done today. We removed tires, refridgerators, construction debris etc. The construction debris probably contained lead paint and asbestos. It's a wonder we're still alive. Others in my troop did project that benefitted the Church we were Chartered by.

The bridge example caught my attention. Another volunteer project in town (not an Eagle Project) was to build a bridge across a creek(15 feet across) to connect a hiking trail on town conservation land. The bridge was built, however it was not handicap accessible. A law suit was filed and now the bridge is blocked/fenced off so no one can use it. Go figure.

SA