Milk and Cookies at Den/pack meetings?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hummmm when I was a Scouter...We had Refreshments...I was a cub scouter in the early 70's we had refreshments...When I was a boy scouter in the Late 70's early 80's we had refreshments..When I was a Den Leader 2011-2012 I provided Refreshments for My Den..Dens would rotate Refreshments at Pack Meetings. We also decorated Cup cakes..Had picnics at Park.

But Hey it is your Pack yall run it your way.

We had them when I was a cub in the 50s.
Only if they meet right after school do I know of any youth group that routinely offers up some kind of organized snack. Snack takes up time, creates trash, leaves crumbs, etc. No. Just no.
When I was a den leader, snacks were part of a group award system. Everyone got snacks at the end of the meeting IF their behavior was good enough that all three of the behavior candles were not blown out. That first candle going out caused some pause but the second one was serious business and only a couple of times did we take out the third...showing them that there ARE consequences, especially after more than one chance to get it right.

Almost never at pack meetings. Once in awhile as a treat at a den meeting. My guys are at the Webelo level and sometimes if I need some quieter time with them sitting and talking I'll bring a snack. So at the end of the meeting, grab a drink and a snack and we'll sit and eat and play a game of some sort that practices reciting scout law, oath, motto, etc..They seem to be able to concentrate more while sitting and eating.

Almost never at pack meetings. Once in awhile as a treat at a den meeting. My guys are at the Webelo level and sometimes if I need some quieter time with them sitting and talking I'll bring a snack. So at the end of the meeting, grab a drink and a snack and we'll sit and eat and play a game of some sort that practices reciting scout law, oath, motto, etc..They seem to be able to concentrate more while sitting and eating.
Teaching them to talk with their mouths full of food ?
If you want to end snacks...

Give each of them a can of monster and a snickers bar just before the meeting is over.

I think that will end the snack demands from the parents.

That would work. I was angling at the other extreme. Make it all health crunchy vegetables with a cool glass of water. Rightly or wrongly, the scouts would most likely lose interest in snack time.