How to scout a new troop ?

Both patrols are working the council halloween gig this weekend. They are in different camp sites quite by accident.... So 300 feet it is. I am going to try to bunk in one of the lodges.

I will add that I did lose a family when Dad didn't understand why I was not up front leading or teaching. SPL was struggling, I tried to explain boy lead and learning by teaching and my goal is for the boys to do 100% of the program.... the patrols broke up into the patrol meetings and then the game. He didn't say anything. Just never came back.

Most parents don't care about 300 feet and boy led or Patrol day hikes or campouts. Most want a very organized adult led meeting.

True, unless they are educated about boy led when they visit. To some degree, when prospective parents come to a troop meeting, the SM and ASMs have to sell them on the troop. They need to explain why boys are running the meeting, etc. They need to be taught the concept that Boy Scouts is preparing the boys to be independent, and part of that is the goal that the only roles for adults is to 1) drive the boys, 2) do things they can't (i.e. make reservations for campsites, etc.) and 3) to drive the boys to the hospital if needed.

I know as WDL, I tried to explain some of the above to my future crossovers. Lost a lot of boys due to that. however, the ones that stayed were pretty hardcore, and still are.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most parents don't care about 300 feet and boy led or Patrol day hikes or campouts. Most want a very organized adult led meeting.

Yuuuuuuup.

Exactly Stosh,

I think that's the main reason that crossover percentages are so low. I really think if we did Webelos III, we could probably enhance retention quite a bit. However, we would lose much more than the extra Scouts would be worth. While my oldest was doing his Eagle project, I marveled that we allowed a 15 yr old boy to lead 7 younger boys to dig and place posts in very visible locations around a church (part of outdoor stations of the Cross). I can't imagine any other place where a 15 yr old would be allowed that much responsibility in this day and time.

Both patrols are working the council halloween gig this weekend. They are in different camp sites quite by accident.... So 300 feet it is. I am going to try to bunk in one of the lodges.

I will add that I did lose a family when Dad didn't understand why I was not up front leading or teaching. SPL was struggling, I tried to explain boy lead and learning by teaching and my goal is for the boys to do 100% of the program.... the patrols broke up into the patrol meetings and then the game. He didn't say anything. Just never came back.

True, unless they are educated about boy led when they visit. To some degree, when prospective parents come to a troop meeting, the SM and ASMs have to sell them on the troop. They need to explain why boys are running the meeting, etc. They need to be taught the concept that Boy Scouts is preparing the boys to be independent, and part of that is the goal that the only roles for adults is to 1) drive the boys, 2) do things they can't (i.e. make reservations for campsites, etc.) and 3) to drive the boys to the hospital if needed.

I know as WDL, I tried to explain some of the above to my future crossovers. Lost a lot of boys due to that. however, the ones that stayed were pretty hardcore, and still are.

Boy-led isn't for everyone. Those that what program, go for adult-led, those that want the character development, independence, opportunities for their boys then check out boy-led. The activity is the destination, leadership development is the journey. Yes there are the boys who just want to show up and parents who support them. For them, they need to find an adult-led program, and then they can fight with the adults every time they suggest that little Johnny help out or even carry his fair share.

Stosh

Well KDD, we are both in the same boat; helping our sons decide on a troop. Mine crosses over in 2 months. Been to 2 meeting and 2 camp outs with 4 different units. All he knows is that 1 unit, the unit that I originally hoped he would join until leadership changes occurred and parents took over, creating a 'high speed, low drag" troop, is out of the question now. SHMBO told me I was to tell him in no uncertain terms that he is not to consider the troop. And I admit I did the 'yes dear,' and merrily went on my way to be subtle in discouraging him. I should not have worried since A) he wasn't impressed at all with the troop on the campout and B) when he was told who his PL would be when he crossed over, he said "NO!"

He hasn't made a decision yet, and I hope he goes camping with 1 of the troops visited, if not both, and visits a troop he camped with.

He's looking for 2 things:

A troop that camps every month.

A troop with folks his own age and/or friends joining the troop so that he will have friends in it.

Here are some things I look for, and told him to look for.

1) Who's in charge, youth or adults?

2) Who's doing the teaching, youth or adults?

2a) If an adult is teaching, why is he? (one troop meeting had an adult going over backpacking skills and the area they were going to with the older Scouts since he had extensive backpacking expereince and did that section of the AT already. I thought it was reasonable)

3) How often do they camp and/or hike?

4) How did he feel about the group,i.e. accepted, tolerated, had fun etc?

Some things I'm interested in are

5) How much does the program cost?

6) What fundraising opportunities do they have for the boys to earn their way?

7) Do they meet year round?

8) Do they go to summer camp?

8a) If they don't go why? (one troop every three years or so does a HA trip: Philmont, AT, etc, and won't go to summer camp as a troop, but will send Scouts as provisional who want to go.)

9) And a very important one for me smile.png, what do they think of new parents serving on the troop committee and will you let committee members go camping? wink.png

KDD,

Sorry for the delay in response very busy at work and in Scouting. In response to no summer camp when they do their HA trip, they do send kids to camp, but usually provisional or with another troop locally and a leader not going on the HA trip may attend. But not formally as a troop.

As for every 3 years, my understanding is 2 years to prep for it, i.e. get proper gear, do shakedowns, fundraising, etc, and one year to take a break.

Well oldest has pretty much made up his mind. I don't think he will get a chance to visit the troop I would like him to visit, and instead will be visiting the troop he said "NO!" to out of courtesy. He went camping with a second troop and had a great time. Oldest scout was 13, and the unit as a whole was rough around the edges. BUT the SM and ASM know their stuff, worked through the PL ( one patrol troop at the moment, soon to change though) and have their goal for Philmont in 2016!:D

LOTS of potential and reminds me a little of one troop I worked with.

Don't forget your second son. He almost certainly will follow his big brother.

I'm getting a little bit too much of 'what Dad wants in a troop' from your responses. It's hard not to impose your will on your son's selection, but you need to do everything you can to make it HIS choice.

I pushed like heck to get my son to visit other troops. Nope. He was going with his friends, period.

JB,

Not necessarily. two of my friends in the troop had younger brothers who joined another troop with their brothers. Also my troop lost it's COR/CC when his Cub Scout age son moved up to Boy Scouts and joined another troop. Like your son, in both cases, the Scouts went with his friends.

I read lots of things. As someone who went through a troop change with my son it is important that the scout likes the troop more than the adult liking (unless it's a safety issue)

After reading I would suggest when going with a troop on a campout to see how the troop functions that a camporee might not be the best view. Many camporees are way to organized by the hosting troop whether it's merit badges or competitions. Also depending on where it is being held and how the hosts set up where troops set up really affect how a troop operates. The camporees we've been to last while have been so over scheduled by the hosts that adults will do all the cooking so that the boys have some free time. Seriously the schedules barely give them a moment to just relax or get a game of football going with another troop. A regular troop campout you will better see how they operate in my opinion. But since your son's current troop isn't going it would still be good to go especially if he's not been to a camporee. I'm just saying this as a head's up when judging a troop