Life requirement 6 as a Venturer

For a young man who is planning on continuing his Boy Scout rank advancement through Venturing, how do you think requirement 6 should be handled?

While a Star Scout, use the EDGE method to teach a younger Scout the skills from ONE of the following six choices, so that he is prepared to pass those requirements to his unit leader’s satisfaction.

a. Second Classâ€â€7a and 7c (first aid)

b. Second Classâ€â€1a (outdoor skills)

c. Second Classâ€â€3c, 3d, 3e, and 3f (cooking/camping)

d. First Classâ€â€8a, 8b, 8c, and 8d (first aid)

e. First Classâ€â€1, 7a, and 7b (outdoor skills)

f. First Classâ€â€4a, 4b, and 4d (cooking/camping)

g. Three requirements from one of the required Eagle merit badges, as approved by your unit leader.

My take was to simply teach one of these scout skills to a member of the crew, just wanted to see what other thought.

Questions:

What does the boy think?

Is there any scout younger than him in the crew for him to teach?

Do the members of the crew already know those skills? (if so, its not really teaching is it?)

Is it unreasonable for him to teach a couple of new crossovers from his old troop?

Firstly, I'll sign it most strongly if he doesn't use EDGE, but let me get off of my high horse ;) ...

If you camp a lot with another troop, he might want to touch base with that SM/SPL to see if there is anything specific that one of his boys might need help with.

Otherwise, I would ask him to pick a skill that another member of the crew seems to be weak on, but it would really help your program if everyone had it down. (If your crew, for example, is really into climbing/rapelling, it might be handy if everyone was solid with figure eight knots on a bight.) Because venturers come with very diverse skills, I wouldn't worry if the person was a younger or older person. I've had 20-year-olds sign on who never camped a day in their life. (And obviously, by the way I worded it, I don't think "Scout" need be limited to boy or girl.)

If you have a scout who is a natural teacher (likely if the scout took a while to get to Star), and have seen him do this thing in one context or another, rather than asking him to repeat for the sake of signature, I would suggest you take the time to sit and ask what he's taught recently to whom, and how it worked (or didn't). Ask him if anything in the description of EDGE was omitted from what he did, and if adding it would have helped. Conversely was there something in what he did that didn't fit the EDGE rubic, and did it distract from his student's learning the skill, or did it add to it? Then ... after this discussion ... you and he can come to an agreement as to if and how he should practice the requirement again.

In other words, adapt the requirement to the maturity of the scout and the needs of his peers.

geezzzz guys.....Have him teach a younger crew member one of the skills. end of the story

What if there ain't a crew member needing to learn anything....Are there Many Venture Crew Members joining from outside of Scouting?

Round here, most definitely. From the council/area meetings I've attended, 'bout half of the Venturers had never been in BSA, and half of those have never been in another scouting-type organization (like GSUSA, Campfire, or Indian guides) during their junior high years. About 1/8 of my crew have never slept under a tent before joining, almost 3/4 have never slept under the stars or even seen anyone else do it.

It's a constant challenge getting everyone up to speed. But if the youth are committed to each other, they will do it. So, this requirement is pretty much the mode of operation in a typical crew.

We spend a lot of time in these forums talking about doing the requirements as written and how all these "high speed, low drag" approaches are killing the sanctity of advancement.

So then, the requirement says: teach a younger Scout the skills from ONE of the following six choices, so that he is prepared to pass those requirements to his unit leader’s satisfaction.

​Since a Venturing scout cannot pass second or first class requirements, clearly this requirement involves working with a Boy Scout. So, go out and find a troop and offer to teach those requirements.

We spend a lot of time in these forums talking about doing the requirements as written and how all these "high speed, low drag" approaches are killing the sanctity of advancement.

So then, the requirement says: teach a younger Scout the skills from ONE of the following six choices, so that he is prepared to pass those requirements to his unit leader’s satisfaction.

​Since a Venturing scout cannot pass second or first class requirements, clearly this requirement involves working with a Boy Scout. So, go out and find a troop and offer to teach those requirements.

I am good with him teaching one of the skills to a fellow crew member....I am sure their is something in the list that a member needs.

You confuse High Speed, Participation = completion, Low Drag, One and Done merit badge classes during meetings, with the intent of the Achievement

I define age in terms of camping nights, not years since birth.

I take "he" to be generic. Not limited to teaching boys. Just like when I see scouts and venturers together, I say "Hi Scouts." period.

The ability to be a first class scout and the right to have a patch on a pocket are two different things. So if, for example, a girl knows a first class skill she is prepared to meet the requirement -- even if she doesn't qualify for the patch.

Bottom line: a life scout is one who shows scout spirit by conferring skills on those who have yet to obtain them. If he's doing that, he gets the sign-off.

High speed - low drag would be a venturer finding a tenderfoot, walking the poor kid through that hideous acronym, dragging him in front of the SM with some "there I fixed it" attitude, and requesting a note to take back to me ... all while we have three crew members who have never donned a backpack in their life and are intimidated about the next 2 day hike! Guess what letter is going into the fire as soon as that supposed star scout teaches those three to light it with flint and steel?

I suppose there's a reason why scouts haven't ditched the troop to earn their upper ranks with my crew.

Oh, and for the love of all that is right and holy, please nobody call National about this! >:

Sounds an awful lot like you guys are "lawyering the requirements" to me... If you want to do something different, goodie for you but you haven't met the requirement as written.

Lawyering.......Taking a term like night camping or under the Auspices of scouting and defining it to the single letter. I am not lawyering.

KDD Lawyers. The night in a cave sleeping on bunks with toilets and prepared meals is camping. Or two boys out riding their bikes is under the Auspices because they are both boy scouts.

We can do this all day Brew.....I am here for the boys and my boys will meet the requirement as written and a venture crew member teaching another venture crew member a skill meets those requirements. That is the bottom line for me.

Very selective of you...but whatever helps you sleep at night.

hmmm, there are three of us interested enough to respond and all three think it is ok for him to teach a crew member the skill.

Ok, so you've convinced yourself that the requirement has nothing to do with helping a Boy Scout advance despite what it says (because again, Venturing scouts can't earn 2nd or 1st class), and that "he" is just "generic" (because after all, girls can neither advance nor earn merit badges), why stop there? Maybe there is a Girl Scout somewhere who doesn't know her knots. Or it would really just be easier to do this requirement with mom and dad.

This is really funny stuff coming from someone who likes to criticize everything that anyone else does that doesn't follow the book. But whatever, you're the unit leader. Sign off on whatever makes you happy happy happy.