Should units share the wealth?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would definitely complain, but leave the proletariat chip at home. If your letter has the same tone that most of your posting has, it's just going to get tossed in the trash.

I read on bryan on scouting about units selling $35k in popcorn, several here have said $20k is easy. Really?   We had a cub leader who is a city council women in the burb a crossed the beltway

BD, we don't always agree but vent on brother. My situation isn't inner city but rural town. Getting access to the big stores in the surrounding communities has been tough. That said, we did get ac

May not be practical for your unit, but we sell Holiday wreaths and greens annually. Despite the fact that several other Troops and Packs sell in this area as well, we netted over $10,000 last year with 26 boys selling.
Our troop does that. Unfortunately $30-$40 for a wreath is to steep for the houses around me. One person bought a swag for $20.
May not be practical for your unit, but we sell Holiday wreaths and greens annually. Despite the fact that several other Troops and Packs sell in this area as well, we netted over $10,000 last year with 26 boys selling.
Yeah, you have to choose fundraising activities that make sense for your neighborhood, or be able to travel somewhere closeby where they will make sense. We've also done a pancake breakfast (only $5 a person) but we also had good connections to various folks and had most of the supplies donated.

On the issue of Sharing the Wealth...There will always be some Slackers who never sell that wants a Share of the Money.

If The Money goes into a General Pool where everyone draws off in Equal shares eventually the Fund Dries up. Why? Because there are those who don't sale and get a Share and those who do all the Work will eventually give up because they are Doing the Work.

Yes Fund Raising Especially Popcorn sales when it is Done By Everyone at the Same time is Complicated. There is always one Sweet Spot to sale. Around here That Spot is booked up Months in Advance by the same people. They Don't care because it is about their Sales not Yours. Around here Businesses have Started limiting the Number of tmes a Certain Uit can Book Spots to prevent Units from Hogging the Location.

in My Youth years we Had hamburger Suppers every 3 Month

I cant understand how people cant differentiate between being social and sharing and full blown communism. There is a lot in between too ...

Base even posted twice by now that its not about hand outs.

Thing that gets me smirking and thinking:

when US Tax $ where given to Banks there wasnt as much of an outcry; try to help the sick and the country stops. Literally. Superpowershutdown.

Bottom line I don't want a hand out. Simply access to folks outside my unit that have discretionary income.

You Do..

Trails End has a Place to set up Personal Sales online for Free which you can advertise the Link Year Around.

Your Unit Members can announce your sales our Personal Facebook accounts.

I Announced our Sales On Facebook on the Local TV Stations pages for Free.

I announced It On Area Radio Stations pages for Free...They even announced it for Free on Air all Day Long.

I announced it on the City's Facebook Page for Free.

I made a Flyer in JPG form and I Shared it on Facebook..And People Shared it on their pages..I shared it in Area Facebook Trading Posts...

We had No problem trying to Sale in a "Bad" location late in the Sales Period..One Unit Complained because they say People heard our free ads on Radio and bought from us and told them already bought besides

Sometimes you have to be your Own Promoter.

I cant understand how people cant differentiate between being social and sharing and full blown communism. There is a lot in between too ...

when US Tax $ where given to Banks there wasnt as much of an outcry; try to help the sick and the country stops. Literally. Superpowershutdown.

Yeah, the distinction's pretty simple - if I'm forced to "donate" money by government fiat, it's bad. If I choose to voluntarily donate my own money, it's good.

the forced donations to the goverment are not donations, thats called taxes ^o^

I can be social and share on my own thank you. And, there was quite an outcry about giving all that money to the banks and certain special corporations. No one listened, just like no one wanted to listen to the populace saying, "Yeah, let's take a step back for a minute and look at this," when it came to ACA. Parts of it are very popular. Parts are not.

Many, probably most, Americans don't want to see those with real medical need left out in the cold without care. However, without tort/legal reform, we aren't going to ever have any effect on the price of medical care.

Bottom line I don't want a hand out. Simply access to folks outside my unit that have discretionary income.

You Do..

Trails End has a Place to set up Personal Sales online for Free which you can advertise the Link Year Around.

I announced It On Area Radio Stations pages for Free...They even announced it for Free on Air all Day Long.

I made a Flyer in JPG form and I Shared it on Facebook..And People Shared it on their pages..I shared it in Area Facebook Trading Posts...

We had No problem trying to Sale in a "Bad" location late in the Sales Period..One Unit Complained because they say People heard our free ads on Radio and bought from us and told them already bought besides

Our council does not sell trails end.

The amount of money raised is directly proportional to the effort put into it. This is one of the basic tenets of business. Either I set up a trap or I go out and beat the bushes. Everyone needs to decide how they are going to go about that.

The second tenet to consider is: Know your market. If one lives in an affluent community, maybe high-end popcorn is the ticket. But in a different neighborhood, those dynamics just aren't going to work. Get out there and market the neighborhoods. Find out what they want and then get it to them. Elderly neighborhood? How's about some snow shoveling, leaf raking, lawn mowing. Older homes may need winter storms put on. Maybe someone needs their house winterized. A 2 day job for them could be done in a couple of hours with enough hands on deck. Shopping for the shut ins? Sure, why not.

Oh, but that takes time, effort, and a major commitment. Yes it does. But do you want the money or not? Maybe it's time to seek out something more than the low-hanging fruit.

People are willing to pay for things that are necessary for them. Get off the sofa and out of the parlor and find out what that is and get it for them. It's a fundraiser for you, but it's a service project for them.

Stosh

The amount of money raised is directly proportional to the effort put into it. This is one of the basic tenets of business. Either I set up a trap or I go out and beat the bushes. Everyone needs to decide how they are going to go about that.

The second tenet to consider is: Know your market. If one lives in an affluent community, maybe high-end popcorn is the ticket. But in a different neighborhood, those dynamics just aren't going to work. Get out there and market the neighborhoods. Find out what they want and then get it to them. Elderly neighborhood? How's about some snow shoveling, leaf raking, lawn mowing. Older homes may need winter storms put on. Maybe someone needs their house winterized. A 2 day job for them could be done in a couple of hours with enough hands on deck. Shopping for the shut ins? Sure, why not.

Oh, but that takes time, effort, and a major commitment. Yes it does. But do you want the money or not? Maybe it's time to seek out something more than the low-hanging fruit.

People are willing to pay for things that are necessary for them. Get off the sofa and out of the parlor and find out what that is and get it for them. It's a fundraiser for you, but it's a service project for them.

Stosh

This assumes there is spare money in the neighborhood to begin with. In an extremely strapped area, there may be a great need for all the things you suggest, but those who need these services may not be able to pay for them. They may give a token amount, but that doesn't solve the original issue of needing to raise a larger amount of money. Troops in depressed areas need to be able to go where the money is.

You can't rely on service projects to bring in operating funds.

Stosh

I never said one had to be restricted to just one area. But if there's a sales permit necessary in the neighborhood next door, either pay it or sell something that doesn't need a permit. I don't think any city requires kids to have a permit to mow someone else's lawn. :) I may be wrong though. Go a few extra blocks and start mowing lawns if that be what's necessary.

Also I can't afford to go to Europe for a vacation so I have to scale back my personal program to fit the money I do have or can get, or raise money for a longer period of time to be able to afford it. I have control over that.

Stosh

You Do..

You could sell Trails End a week or two before Council promotes "their" popcorn, and just send Council their "share"