UK Scouts new Promise (Oath) drops God ( relgious free alternative to be offered)

information here http://members.scouts.org.uk/fundamentals/?pageid=2944

Copy and paste form that page....... Alternative versions of the Scout Promise have been available for nearly 50 years and have been used by Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and those who live in the UK but are not UK citizens. This new additional alternative Promise will now add to the suite of alternative versions to ensure we are inclusive to adults who are humanist or have no affirmed faith who wish to volunteer for Scouting, and young people who are humanist or with no affirmed faith who wish to join Scouting.

The existing core Scout Promise remains in place and The Scout Association remains fully committed as a Movement that explores faith, beliefs and attitudes as a core element of its programme.

The existing Scout Promise

On my honour, I promise that I will do my best,

To do my duty to God and to the Queen,

To help other people

And to keep the Scout Law.

New alternative wording of the Promise

On my honour I promise that I will do my best

To uphold our Scout values, to do my duty to the Queen,

To help other people

And to keep the Scout Law.

For Cub Scout section:

I promise that I will do my best

To uphold our Scout values, to do my duty to the Queen

To help other people

And to keep the Cub Scout Law.

For Beaver Scout section

I promise to do my best

To be kind and helpful and to love our world.

I thought they did this already.

Kind of. There has never been a requirement for a youth member to have a religious belief, just make the Promise, all versions of which referred to a deity of some description.

The consultation on an alternative Promise then started 10 months ago. It was done with so much fanfare that to be honest the conclusion was never really in doubt.

I welcome it. (And I write that as a Christian) It means being fully inclusive and removes the last barrier to adult recruitment.