Scouting for Food - When?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• Once, when every other group is collecting food, just before Thanksgiving.
    • Once, but another time of the year, when food pantries are in need.
    • We collect more than once a year.
    • We do not participate in Scouting for Food.

Our CO operates the community food pantry, pack and troop do their drives on different months. The boys have a hand in stocking and keeping things tidy. When times are tough, they will have an additional drive.

When I was ASM our boys didnt do "scouting for food" in the sense of collecting; the community service was done at a church packing and handing out food parcels (Church does this every week so some boys raked up a good amount of community service hours).

Introduced SfF to my Scoutgroup in NZ - and to my biggest surprise my smallest cub, a wee lil tiny 6 year old, was the smartest and collected from his neighbours AND his school and brought in more food than the entire venture crew ^o^

When I was ASM our boys didnt do "scouting for food" in the sense of collecting; the community service was done at a church packing and handing out food parcels (Church does this every week so some boys raked up a good amount of community service hours).

Introduced SfF to my Scoutgroup in NZ - and to my biggest surprise my smallest cub, a wee lil tiny 6 year old, was the smartest and collected from his neighbours AND his school and brought in more food than the entire venture crew ^o^

No surprise there. Venturer's are best used for logistics and muscle. Nothing like the "cute factor" of a cub to actually draw the donations. "Please, sir may I have some more?"

Our older boys have figured this out, and at our grocery store location, they train the first-years to make the "first contact." Especially to the ladies. ;) The big guys make a better impression on the collection side, when a mom-of-preschoolers might need help getting her shopping to the car!

It was more than the cute factor: he asked more people by asking all of his classmates. I say smart kid.

V-C at the time was 5 boys and 1 girl, but they only asked their neighbours.

But I agree with you otherwise. You seem to have smart older boys 8-)