It would have taken longer to break all the links or make all the reservations services "unavailable" for all the things you can get a permit for online-- than it took to just take the site offline and plug in a redirect to the dept of the interior.
Blue Ridge Parkway is closed, too. It's a ROAD folks, a road. I suppose Americans are to stupid to drive through the mountains without federal assistance.

However I did see a uniformed US Forest Service employee blowing leaves off the parking lot at the ranger station today. An essential service, no doubt. They must have discovered a cell of Al Qaeda squirrels.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bet if we offered to sell all the mineral rights for the National Parks the shutdown would be over in about 90 seconds.

Thankfully the 150th anniversary Gettysburg encampment was last weekend! What a fantastic job by the New Birth of Freedom Council. There were 3500 scouts camped within the battlefield, everything went off without a hitch. Maybe they could give some pointers to the federal government.

Heard one of my state's Representatives on the radio this morning saying that he often goes to the Jefferson Memorial at night to do his reading. He says they have 3 staff people at most on site. They had 7 guards turning people away. Figure that one out. It's Obama's punitive political theatre. It's like a little kid with a scratch flailing on the floor and wailing that his arm is cut off.
The barricades around the WWII memorial are now chained and locked, so they can't be pushed aside by veterans in wheelchairs. The cemetery at Normandy, France has also been barricaded...that land was deeded to the US by France after the war. I've never seen such childishness and mean-spirited behavior.
Heard one of my state's Representatives on the radio this morning saying that he often goes to the Jefferson Memorial at night to do his reading. He says they have 3 staff people at most on site. They had 7 guards turning people away. Figure that one out. It's Obama's punitive political theatre. It's like a little kid with a scratch flailing on the floor and wailing that his arm is cut off.
You must never have witnessed a Teabagger Rally.
Ahem, Teabagger is a derogatory term. I think the proper label is Tea Party member. Of course if one is into it, one could always use the term Jackasses for one of the parties as well. If one did, they would probably get a visit rather quickly. Ever notice how one side ignores the tauntings, but the other always seems to fly off the handle :)
KDD. Tea Party rallies were never violent or hateful. The one time that a black congressman alleged that he was spit on by Tea Party members was blown out the water by the absence of proof from any of the 20 recordings of the walk and NO witnesses.

I participated in a Tea Party rally in Atlanta, and nowhere else have I seen nicer more patriotic people (of many colors) so genuinely concerned about the future of our country.

Your 'Teabagger' slur is ill-informed and reflects poorly on your Scout Spirit; and eliminates you as a credible participant in serious discussion.

To other forum members: I apologize for bringing political comment to the 'Program' forum. My sense of decorum was overcome by my outrage at ignorance.

We do the grand canyon veteran's day weekend in November. Hopefully it's figured out by then!!
Realize that part of what the care and keeping of the grand canyon is safety of visitors, with tens of thousands of people visiting every day, without access to bathrooms, without trash pick up, etc that could get very ugly health hazard fast. In addition to the risk for the stupid idiots who decide hiking the canyon without any water is a good idea because it's cool up at the top--even though it's probably 100 at the bottom. Civil disobedience to enter the canyon by those who would CARE for the environment, sure, you'll take out everything you take in and leave no trace; but as we know, most people are not like that, are they?
It would have taken longer to break all the links or make all the reservations services "unavailable" for all the things you can get a permit for online-- than it took to just take the site offline and plug in a redirect to the dept of the interior.
Twocub, that was most likely a contractor. If so, the amount of the contract has already been incumbered and they will continue to empty trash cans and remove leaves until the contract is out.
Jblake: The news letter for the DNC is call "Kicking A$$." One of the major differences between the two parties is a sense of humor.