Cub Scout Promise and Law going away

I'm concerned in general with the direction of changes. It looks like a move away from uniforms. I see my Webelos are starting to look for excuses to wear Activity Shirts instead of Uniforms, I have no doubt that at the Scout level, the uniforms are a problem. However, with the Cubs, they are generally stoked to wear their uniforms, its part of the excitement of scouting, the uniforms, patches, badges, belt loops, pins, etc.

I think that national is ignoring what makes Cub Scouting work. The problems are in the Webelos Program. The boys are disappearing in the Webelos and first year Scout years. That isn't a reflection of problems in the Cub Scout program, it's problems in Webelos which is way too much book work for the age.

The Tiger year is a total blast. Wolf has a lot of book work and a lot of fun work... it could use more fun... but a lot of the "book work" people groan about are integrate to the Scouting program. I don't care that the schools do a nutritional component, I like that we reinforce that eating healthy is part of being a scout. Given the love of kids for all manners of junk, being able to do a craft project on healthy eating and reinforce it with the Scouts, and the same thing with chores, etc., is part of reinforcing that part of being a good scout is being a good part of the family.

It seems that after YEARS in the Troop program, the leadership totally ignores what makes 6-9 year old boys tick. Since BSA's entire recruiting premise is on Cub Scout programs, they would do well to stop sacrificing the Pack for the troop.

Honestly, our program is too outdoorsy if we do the various Camporees, etc., it terrified suburbanites, and at this age, the families need to go. We need to focus on the crafts/values with the Cub Programs, focus on independent advancement with Webelos, and revisiting the lower Scout ranks so we stop losing the boys in 5-7th grade.

The problem isn't the 2nd/3rd grade levels, it's the 4th-7th grade levels with the drop off, focus there.

I don't... The Tiger->Wolf->Bear transitions are fine. Apparently between Bear->Webelos->Webelos 2->Scout there is a TON of drop off.

But I have lots of Cub families that simply will not camp. The families do not want to. The boys might try it in Den camping down the road. But pushing the program to be more outdoors in the cub level is a recipe for dropping out.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dedkad ... We've tried the Lion Kindergarten program. Run away from it. Too young. To squirrelly. Lowers the maturity of the pack. As far as I'm concerned, start the program in 2nd grade again.

I'm a little behind in my reading, so not sure which issue of Scouting magazine I was reading, but I just read that in 2015 the Cub Scout Promise and Law are going away and will be replaced with the S

The Idea behind one Scout Oath and LAW... All Scouting Units are Boy Scouts of America. Why spend Years Learning an Oath and then Having to learn a New one when you Transition..

even Venture is Going to Boy scout Oath and Law.

The Majority of Scouter and Former Scouters can Recite the Boy scout Oath and Boy Scout Law but Very Few can still recite the Cub Scout or Venture Crew Oath?

Quit trying to make Cub Scouts and Venture Crews a separate Organization. They are Not Step Children.

A Leader will adapt the Program to the Boys and still stay within the BSA Rules and Regs.

Sure 7 year Olds may have difficulty saying the Oath and Law Perfect every time. But I suspect by the Time the say it several years they will Know It and Remember it.

One of the biggest Problem in Cub Scouting is changing Leadership every time you turn around. Yes I did it also..I transitioned with Boys in my Tiger Den to Wolf..Leaving No Tiger Cub Den Leaders.

Next Problem is not allowing the Boys to Participate in Activities they want...Boys quit because scouting is not fun for them anymore. Telling a Boy, who may be part of a Climbing Club already,

they can't climb more than 6 feet off the ground will cause them to drop out.

Or the Boy Who Plays Local Pee Wee Football already they can't receive a Football Badge because they are not playing "Flag Football" instead causes problems.

BSA is "Regulating" itself into trouble

The vast majority of Scouts (and Scouters) cannot recite the Boy Scout Oath/Law, because they never learned either. The majority of the people in BSA are Cub Scouts and Cub Scouters. Given the turn over rate in Cubs, I'd say that the VAST majority of Scouters are Cub Scouters...

The problem is NOt the Cub Problem. The problem is the Webelos->Scout Transition.

Thanks for the Link qwazse [TABLE=width: 353]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 250] Tiger Cub Scouts

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 212,677

[/TD]

[TD=width: 80, align: right] -4.63%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Cub Scouts

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 726,775

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] -2.76%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Webelos Scouts

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 589,221

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] -3.84%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Total Cub Scout-Age

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 1,528,673

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] -3.44%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Boy Scouts

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 848,236

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] -0.01%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Varsity Scouts

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 62,432

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 1.87%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Total Boy Scout-Age

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 910,668

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 0.12%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Total Venturers

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 219,453

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] -5.05%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Total Explorers

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 116,589

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 3.28%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Total Youth

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 2,775,383

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So while It seems Cub Scouts make up the Largest Membership they suffered drops in Membership, Boy Scouts the Least and The Only Group to Increase is Varsity and Explorer?

Never made sense to me to have different versions; it was like having kids recite a different Pledge of Allegiance from the adults.

I'm old but have had recent stints as a Cub Leader and all I can remember of the Promise is "to be square", but I think that was dropped over 40 years ago. :)

I wonder what are the number of registered Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venture Scouts?
Sea scouts are part of the venturing program.

Also, this stat doesn't count for multiple registrations. For example, half my crew and I are primarily registered through our troop.

Thanks for the Link qwazse [TABLE=width: 353]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 250] Tiger Cub Scouts

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 212,677

[/TD]

[TD=width: 80, align: right] -4.63%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Cub Scouts

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 726,775

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] -2.76%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Webelos Scouts

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 589,221

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] -3.84%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Total Cub Scout-Age

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 1,528,673

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] -3.44%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Boy Scouts

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 848,236

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] -0.01%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Varsity Scouts

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 62,432

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 1.87%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Total Boy Scout-Age

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 910,668

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 0.12%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Total Venturers

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 219,453

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] -5.05%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Total Explorers

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 116,589

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 3.28%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Total Youth

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] 2,775,383

[/TD]

[TD=align: right] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So while It seems Cub Scouts make up the Largest Membership they suffered drops in Membership, Boy Scouts the Least and The Only Group to Increase is Varsity and Explorer?

Can't speak about Varsity (never met a team).

Explorers had been undersold for years. More than half became venturers. (When son #1Was a tiger, it was explained to me that venturing was the new Explorers. Nothing disavowed me of that notion until someone from the Explorers division made a presentation at roundtable.) They are making a comeback.

Interesting... was a Cub scout and A Cub Scout Leader...I can not recite the Cub Scout oath and Law from Memory...However even after being away from Scouting Since 1986 I can still recite the Boy Scout Oath and Law from Heart.

When I was a Cub Scout leader, I often lapsed into the Boy Scout oath when doing the Cub Scout oath. Was not a good thing for the boys.