The NY Time reports ... "56 percent of Americans say they prefer that Congress uphold what has become known as Obamacare and make it work as well as possible. Just 38 percent of the public wants Congress to stop the law by cutting off funding."

So about 50% more support Obamacare than are against it.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because of the congressional charter...scouters get the day off...

You know as Germany is paying for the entire European Union I was half expecting a statement today that Germany would also pay for the US ... ^o^

If all non-essential personal are furloughed, what are the congressmen still doing in the capital?   It is not an issue of Dems and Reps, it's a issue of people and government. Government (both pa

Hope things work out for you Papadaddy.. You hear things that make you hope a quick settlement is close at hand, then you hear stuff that say no one is ready to give in.. Either republicans have to give it up with nothing.. Or the Democrats need to throw them a small bone so they can save face.

The most promise I saw was this one video that was with two Republicans ready to refund government and back down.. So, they are not the ones in the lead.. But they were asked if they would deal on the funding of the Government AND not pulling this again on the Deficit if the Democrats offered them a trade in the Medical Device tax (from what I read there is already some agreement on that change).. Those two wanted a way out.. They were just looking for some bone thrown so they could save face (or perhaps it was more that the more radical elements of their party could save face.) and get out of the whole mess..

Again, don't know if it would not out the 30-40 house reps & Ted Cruise that are the only ones calling the shots.. And it meant the Dems had to take pity and throw the bone.. Dems I know wouldn't do it just for a 6 week fund the government.. But they might if they could also disarm the threat of Reps trying to take the Deficit fight as a new hostage.. That might be large enough to let them deal something..

But who knows.. It sounded like a great idea, but none of the people talking was a lead person who could start the wheel rolling.

All I can say is really, really stupid.. Never should of happened, and I hope for you and lots of others in your position, this is short lived.

Moose -- I have no idea what you're trying to say. If one member of the Bull Moose party is elected to Congress it is his/her obligation to vigorously represent the voters elected him or her. The argument that those oppose to the ACA should just "get over it" is specious.

The shut down isn't costing the government $300M a day, the story was (if you can believe it) it is costing the economy $300M a day. That's the equivalent of the change in the truck arm rest compared to a $16T economy. Heck, it's small change compared to the $10 BILLION we senp a day or the $2.5 billion we borrow daily. One would hope furloughing 800,000 "non-essential" employees would save a dollar or two. Funny, in my industry we have another word for non-essential employees -- UNEMPLOYED.

The NY Time reports ... "56 percent of Americans say they prefer that Congress uphold what has become known as Obamacare and make it work as well as possible. Just 38 percent of the public wants Congress to stop the law by cutting off funding."

A poll on if you approve a Government shutdown in order to stop the Affordable Care Act.. 72% Disapprove, 22% Approve.

So Republican stating they are doing what the American people want, and they are listening to the people.. Only in their political bubble of Rush Limbaugh..

Sorry Pappadaddy.. Sounds like it will be a long fight.. Republicans have to get that other 8% of undecided to disapprove of them. Tank a few more mid-year Governor elections, make sure the Senate gets a stronger Democratic majority, and that only the 40 to 80 house members who are in these gerrymander deep red districts are reelected in the mid-year thereby giving the Democrats 355 - 395 seats (give or take, there may be some independents..).. Securing total defeat in the 2014 elections may take them another week or two..

Moose, I think it is going to take a bit more than this to move those districts. There are many more than 80 that are deep red now. However if they default on the debt and plunge the world economy into depression, I think their problems will be much larger than reelection.

If it comes to that point I honestly believe our experiment in democracy will have failed.

Let 56% have Obamacare, and leave the other 38% alone to do what they want. It's supposed to be a free country. Oh, yeah, the government isn't supposed to compete with private industry. Oh, that's what the Constitution says, and that's no longer relevant in today's political arena.

We had one civil war to break the bondage of the plantation owners, another to break the bondage of big business, so why not yet another to break the bondage of the government? Oh, we did that back in 1776. Those that don't learn from history are destined to relive it.

Stosh

Silly Stosh. Uncle Sam only has your best interests at heart. As soon as they've crushed the private insurance business there won't be any competition from the Government.

After years of claiming they want the Government to operate more like a private corporation the Republicans have finally succeeded. During hard times they have shut-down; Employees were laid off. And thanks to the provision that everyone else will have to work without pay government employees who still have jobs now qualify for welfare because their households now live in poverty despite the fact that they are working; just like their counterparts employed at Wal~Mart. Congratulations! I can't imagine many states will be happy about picking up the tab and having to provide the same benefits to government employees that they have been forced to provide to other low-income households that are employed by major corporations. If Major corporations actually paid taxes, the government might have the money to keep their doors open, but why expect a corporation to contribute to society? And now that the Republicans have gotten their wish of government acting like a corporation there is no reason for the government to act responsibly and contribute to society either. ​http://www.ctj.org/corporatetaxdodgers/CorporateTaxDodgersReport.pdf

The insurance company take over doesn't bother me as much as the healthcare industry that bothers me the most. They have their hands in my birth issues, my retirement, my medicare, and now they decide on whether or not I live or die. Heck, they give me cell phones, a "paycheck" and even sell me cars. Why would anyone not want to come to America, everything's free.

After 60+ years, it is now evident that conceal carry is the only freedom that they haven't taken totally away. Need to check it out quick before they do.

I wonder with all these statistics floating around, how many of the colonists were pro-King George and now many were pro-revolution? (Like it made any real difference) :)

Stosh

The insurance company take over doesn't bother me as much as the healthcare industry that bothers me the most. They have their hands in my birth issues, my retirement, my medicare, and now they decide on whether or not I live or die. Heck, they give me cell phones, a "paycheck" and even sell me cars. Why would anyone not want to come to America, everything's free.

After 60+ years, it is now evident that conceal carry is the only freedom that they haven't taken totally away. Need to check it out quick before they do.

I wonder with all these statistics floating around, how many of the colonists were pro-King George and now many were pro-revolution? (Like it made any real difference) :)

Stosh

Yes, it really is ironic that the same political ideology that claims to want politicians out of bedrooms, doctors offices, and women's ....., and will defend tooth and nail the "right to choose," were so willing to jump on board to a program whose creators have admitted is merely a stepping stone to nationalizing health care in this country via single payer.
After years of claiming they want the Government to operate more like a private corporation the Republicans have finally succeeded. During hard times they have shut-down; Employees were laid off. And thanks to the provision that everyone else will have to work without pay government employees who still have jobs now qualify for welfare because their households now live in poverty despite the fact that they are working; just like their counterparts employed at Wal~Mart. Congratulations! I can't imagine many states will be happy about picking up the tab and having to provide the same benefits to government employees that they have been forced to provide to other low-income households that are employed by major corporations. If Major corporations actually paid taxes, the government might have the money to keep their doors open, but why expect a corporation to contribute to society? And now that the Republicans have gotten their wish of government acting like a corporation there is no reason for the government to act responsibly and contribute to society either. ​http://www.ctj.org/corporatetaxdodgers/CorporateTaxDodgersReport.pdf
I'm sure the States would welcome the feds getting out of their business. Anything not specifically mentioned in the Constitution is the responsibility of the States. Department of Education could disappear and it would be a good thing and save a ton of money. The IRS could disappear and it would be a good thing and save a ton of money. I could go on about a lot of other wasteful, duplicated federal agencies, but no one likes long posts.

Stosh

Maybe if the other side of the aisle (which I still register with) would have made a proposal to help cover the uninsured, and helped small businesses with huge costs, and noticed the people going bankrupt due to health care costs, and broken the AMA monopoly on new physician training centers, etc. we wouldn't have ended up here. Or, perhaps, they could have gone with the Heritage Foundation / American Enterprise proposal that Governor Mitt Romney established in Massachusetts. Ignoring the root problem is not helping things.

Maybe if the other side of the aisle (which I still register with) would have made a proposal to help cover the uninsured, and helped small businesses with huge costs, and noticed the people going bankrupt due to health care costs, and broken the AMA monopoly on new physician training centers, etc. we wouldn't have ended up here. Or, perhaps, they could have gone with the Heritage Foundation / American Enterprise proposal that Governor Mitt Romney established in Massachusetts. Ignoring the root problem is not helping things.
It was my understanding that 13% of the American population was without insurance for one reason or another. Solution? Force private insurance companies to accept pre-existing conditions and provide insurance assistance like they do with food. That way 87% of the people wouldn't even notice any changes, the 13% would get help and life would go on without any debates whatsoever. People would not now be unemployed and the price of healthcare would not have skyrocketed as it has.

I know it sounds simplistic, but this mess could have been totally avoided had not certain members of congress been dead bent on promoting some political agenda and signing a Bill that they hadn't even read, let alone understood. Welcome to the 29 hour work week and no insurance.

Stosh

Stosh

It is also ironic the politcal ideology who loves to get between a doctor and a patient relationship and mandate the doctor tell womens scientifically inacurate lies to scare the women, force unnecessary waiting periods, and force unnecessary procedures by writing laws about it seem to think it's awful for government to require you health care, THROUGH A NORMAL INSURANCE AGENCY..

Does your state force you to have car insurance? Does that mean the come between you and your insurance agency when you make a claim?

Stosh

I think it's important that everyone have insurance. Those that can't get it because of a pre-existing condition or finances should get help. I don't even have a problem with that. But that's a simple fix that ACA doesn't address. They are going for a huge piece of the pie and EVERYONE gets ripped and no one gets helped. That's the normal solution when the feds get their fingers in the pot.

Stosh

Stosh, now, you aren't really saying the ACA creates economic incentives for employers to cut people's work hours and to reduce hiring are you? Next thing you know you're going to tell me the $63/head soon to be $300+/head tax companies now have to pay on the number of individuals insured in their plans isn't really going to fund the program and will never go away. Or that businesses might just drop their plans all together! The President promised I'd keep my plan and my doctors.