Wow Way To Go!!

Great Job so far.

The big thing to remember is that even us old folks are pulling for you.

We are your friends.

I have sat on a good many Eagle Boards Of Review.

Some of the "Stuff" That seems to come up.

Know the Scout Oath and Law.

Know it off by heart.

Someone may ask which Scout Law is the most important to you?

Be Honest.

A lot of times people ask what your future plans in Scouting will be?

Though not on any BOR that I have ever sat on I have heard of a guy who asks if the Scout has a clean hankerchief? Not so sure about that one - The Asker was a lot older then me.

Some people spend a lot of time asking about Merit Badges. - Make sure you know which ones you have earned.

Some people dwell on what you are doing for the younger Scouts in your troop.

As a rule in our District the Advancement Chair has a copy of the project and all the paper work and we have gone over it before the Scout comes into the room.

My pet question is

What is the most important thing that you have learned as a Scout?

Good Luck

Eamonn

Relax and Breath. Breathing is very important.

I have sat on many Eagle Boards of Reviews. Here are some areas that have caught my attention:

Talk to the members and relax. Don't get to relaxed.

Know your project and any set backs that may have occured.

Speak up so that all members can hear your reply. Don't mumble.

Have all your resources on hand. Normally all paperwork is looked at by the members prior to you meeting with them.

Please be early to your Eagle Board. If your Running Late, Call.

Make sure your uniform is squared away.

Matua

Having been through my onw board within recent history, and having been on two boards since, I guess I could provide a couple of semi-useful pieces of information.

1. Make certain all the paperwork is squared away. Have simple, yet thorough documentation of the project, your planning of it, and all other papers that you are asked for. Providing an extra copy isn't a bad idea. Don't just do the bare minimal of what is required in the life to Eagle packet. You can pass the board with the minimal, but it doesn't make a stellar first impression.

2. Have complete and correct uniform. It is not a good thing to have the first thing someone notices about you be that you are wearing both your OA and merit badge sash. (that was the first thing I noticed about one of the individuals I helped review)

3. When asked a question that you are uncertain take time to think it over, but don't just sit there in silence for an hour. Most of the questions you will be asked have no right answer. Just come up with an answer that makes sense to you. Be ready to explain answers you give.

4. Be honest when answering questions. If someone asks you about your worst Scouting experience don't tell them there was no such thing. The board will be able to tell when you aren't being open with them about something.

5. Know your own Scouting history. Know when and where you went to summer camp. Know what badges you earned and approximately when. (You don't need to memorize dates, but you should know if you earned it in your first year, or this year.) Think about your favorite and least favorite experiences in Scouting.

6. Oath and Law. Know them and be able to explain them. If asked the perenial board of review question about how you live them in your daily life, have a very solid answer.

Here are some questions I recall being asked that you might want to think about: (though you many never be asked any of them)

What was your personal Kobayashi Maru? (When, as a leader, did you encounter a no win scenario, and how did you deal with it?)

What would you add to the Scout Law if you had to add a 13th point?

Favorite merit badge. why?

Least favorite merit badge. why?

What is the most used thing you have learned in Scouting?

You will probably get some questions not directly related to Scouting. You may be asked about other activities you do.

Basically, the board is trying to do several things:

make you think about your Scouting experience

find out who you are

find out what you have gained from Scouting

find out if you did what was required

find out if you have the characteristics to be an Ealge

(those first three are probably going to be the central focus)

The Eagle Board of Review is just like a board for any other rank in some ways. You will be asked many of the same questions. However, the reviewers are some of the most capable and experienced at doing reviews of anyone in your district or council. The Eagle Board will also serve as a review of your entire Scouting experience, in some ways. Expect tough questions. Remember, those on your Board are Scouters. They will not try to tear you apart. They are there as much to help you as anything else. Though they will give you enough rope to hang yourself with, in a figurative sort of way.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Oh, you asked about things to bring. Bring anything you think may help you. Bring your handbook, something to write with, and something to write on. Chances are you will never use a single reference or aid. There won't be many questions whose answers can be found in the handbook, but having your handbook is a sign of being prepared. The board may even ask you to leave whatever you bring outside the room, but it can't hurt to have something that you could need.

FloridaScout

Congratulations. I've only sat in on one Eagle BOR but I do have these suggestions. Be confident but not arrogant. Speak up and directly to the Board. Show that you are the kind of Scout that will be a good representative of the Eagle rank. One of the questions in the BOR I sat in on was, " Why do you believe you deserve to be an Eagle?".

Best of luck.

SA

I agree with Scoutingagain. Be confident in the way you sit, speak, and present yourself, BUT - be humble. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but it's not. Don't brag. Don't act as if you're already have it in hand or that they owe it to you. Be very respectful and polite. However, when giving your answers, sit up straight, speak up, don't slur your words, and present the information as you know it to be. That brings me to this tip - Start thinking about all the different things that they might ask you and the answers that you might give. The answers should reflect what you feel to be true, not what you think they want to hear. You might want to talk to some Eagles in your troop to get idea of what they might ask you.

Proud eagle hit everything just about. I went through this end of september so inkow how you feel. One question that i do remember that you should think about is this:

What kind of responsibilty will you have now as an eagle scout to your troop, community and etc?

This can be a short or it can be a long answer. All up to you but in my mind i thought it was to be a Role Model. Might be the same for you might not be. Be prepared and Do your best!

FloridaScout -- I don't know if my words will make this important Board of Review easier or harder. However, whether or not they make it easier (I hope so) or harder (I hope not) does not change my advice.

You will walk in the door to the board of review already and Eagle Scout or already not an Eagle Scout.

Let me explain that -- either you have learned the Scouting values or you have not. I can tell from your posts that you indeed have, and if I were a voting member of the Board of Review, you would receive my vote.

Go into the room as an Eagle Scout -- not overly confident, but not in fear. Face and answer the questions squarely and as honestly as you can. Don't be cocky, don't be fearful, just be an Eagle Scout.

At the end, they may ask if you have any questions for them or any comment. At that point, make your case for their approval -- something along the lines of, this is what I've learned on the path to Eagle Scout, this is what I value, and this is why I feel I've earned the rank of Eagle.

Leave politely when they ask you to, so they can discuss how impressed they are by you and your behavior.

Congratulations. You've already earned the award and are only waiting for the first of the next three approvals -- the Board of Review, where you are present, the Scout Executive's signature (where you'r not present, but the records will be in order, and the National Court of Honor, where the data will also be checked. Don't let this multi-tiered approval freak you out. Once you're approved by the board of review, the rest is smooth sailing.

DS