What's your favorite piece of gear you have in your kit?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two-ply TP

My CPAP. Second is earplugs because the SM doesn't have a CPAP.

Hmmm. Should have said my Hennessy Hammock. Everytime I take it down in under 3 minutes with no drying needed I remember why I love it.

Yucca pack, goes on most every trip.

Stosh

I have three of them, even the one I had as a scout in the 1960's. :) I even used it as a book bag throughout college.

Why? It holds very comfortably everything one would need for a weekend outing. With plastic bag packed items, it is virtually indestructible. The last time I used it was on my vacation last month. It holds 9 days of change of clothes easily. The outer loops allow for a blanket bedroll as well. If the unpadded straps and lack of waist belt bothers you, a tump line thru the flap makes it an easy carry because it does to get overloaded on occasion. And as far as durability goes? the canvas wears like iron. I don't know how many times I have worn out nylon packs over the years, but they come and go, but the Yuccas are still there on the shelf, kinda like an old friend you can count on.

On an extensive trek, I take two and like duffles wear one on my back and another on the front to distribute weight. Neither are as large as duffles, combined probably carry as much as one duffle, but the weight is distributed front and back. No frame makes it easy to simply drop in the bottom of the canoe, run a rope through the straps and off you go. If you don't have a piece of rope, just unclip the strap, wrap a thwart and reclip. Couldn't be easier.

Stosh

My Buck 110 folder. It was a 16th birthday present and I have used it ever since. Sure, there are more lightweight knives, but my Buck seems to find it's way onto my belt every time I head to the woods.

I have only used it once, but a close second would be my hammock.

• 1 month later...

Clear Nalgene with a solar light for a lid; the Nalgene light charges during the days activities. Now my water bottle is my flashlight, and I can hang it on the loop inside my tent, making it a lantern. When you can get one piece of gear to replace three (well two, I'd never pack a lantern) it's a very good day.

Less is more is my camping motto, and I try not to carry anything that can't be used for multiple purposes.

The Estwing one piece hatchet my dad gave me. Still use it, use it in IOLS Woods tool training.

Scoutson just gave me a NEW Estwing hatchet for Christmas! Boy, the comparison... a half inch shorter blade from all those years of sharpening...