What's your favorite piece of gear you have in your kit?

From a lady backpacker in this order...hair elastics (can be used for more than ponytails), Pack of unscented baby wipes, Leatherman micro, dental floss, Starbucks via packs, micro fleece stuff sack (stuff with tomorrow's clothes and makes a pillow), ziplock bags

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two-ply TP

My CPAP. Second is earplugs because the SM doesn't have a CPAP.

Hmmm. Should have said my Hennessy Hammock. Everytime I take it down in under 3 minutes with no drying needed I remember why I love it.

From a lady backpacker in this order...hair elastics (can be used for more than ponytails), Pack of unscented baby wipes, Leatherman micro, dental floss, Starbucks via packs, micro fleece stuff sack (stuff with tomorrow's clothes and makes a pillow), ziplock bags
I ditched my small almost worthless camp pillow for a pillow case with clothes...

I have to Say CPAP, Followed By Power Converter

How do you power yours ? Raccoons on a treadmill ? :)

My new CPAP is 24V. I need to get 12 to 24 converter. Right now I use a marine battery, converter to AC then the power supply converts to 24V DC. stupid but it's what I have. Gets me two nights on one charge.

I have to Say CPAP, Followed By Power Converter

I use a goodknight G420.....I can get a week at summer camp on a 12 volt 20 amphour battery......

Bought it just for camping. AC inverters are super ineffiecent

Check this company out.....Dont know of anyone who has one yet....But when mine quits this is what it is getting replaced with.

http://www.mytranscend.com/

Basementdweller sounds like a Good system..I like their Battery options.... However I am leery of Product which they won't tell you the Price
Looks like they don't sell direct...go to the Buy Trascend link and then the dealer links are on the right side

Before I rework my system with a new machine or converter/inverter and a smaller battery I want to give these things a try. My current machine is really light but the 24V thing is a problem. http://www.proventtherapy.com/about-provent.php They are FDA approved and a nytimes piece said they are effective in about 70% of patients. Not covered by most insurance apparently, but might be worth a few bucks a night simply for the space/weight factor. I have thought about the laser surgery, but my ENT said it is a nasty 2 week recovery and again only effective in about 70% of cases. Jp, your truck battery is not really designed for this application. You will shorten its life by draining it like that. Having a deep cycle battery on hand is great for when the home power goes out. It doesn't happen often, but it sure is nice to be able to sleep when you have no power. As it appears I am not the only one with a CPAP, we need a CPAP thread to discuss ideas, solutions and failures.

I was looking at Making my own Custom Camp Trailer with a Solar system on it to run CPAP and a Nice comfy bed to sleep in due to bad back. My Council will not allow Trailers or RVs at Camp..their excuse someone may illegally dump waste. I just want a portable easy system nothing Fancy. I was Told that If You use a CPAP even a Battery operated one your not allowed in Backcountry at any BSA High Adventure any more. Does anyone Know if this is true?

I was looking at Making my own Custom Camp Trailer with a Solar system on it to run CPAP and a Nice comfy bed to sleep in due to bad back. My Council will not allow Trailers or RVs at Camp..their excuse someone may illegally dump waste. I just want a portable easy system nothing Fancy. I was Told that If You use a CPAP even a Battery operated one your not allowed in Backcountry at any BSA High Adventure any more. Does anyone Know if this is true?
I started a CPAP thread. I can't answer the backcountry question. I can say we had an older relatively inactive scout attend an event last year and his mom let him set up his tent in the back of a pickup. It was at a state park and the ranger made him take it down off the truck. The ranger said the rule was to keep vagrants from camping out in their cars.
Was it a Truck Tent? I have looked into an Actual tent that is designed to bet put up in a Truck Bed. Did yall try and Explain why? Was there Electricity available at Sites. When Possible I would Pay the extra Cost myself for electricity just for CPAP.
The scout just set up a regular tent in the bed of a truck. I have no idea why, I guess he is anti social, spoiled, or just couldn't be bothered with hanging around the other kids. No there was no electricity at the sites but I have my big marine battery so I was fine.
I don't know....when we backpack, I just go with out for the couple of days.....Take a couple tylenol PM out like a light.