Camping / Sleeping Arrangements / Safe Scouting

Hueymungus is wrong on that, perhaps it's a policy of his pack/troop..

#8 ,, Male and female leaders must have separate sleeping facilities. Married couples may share the same quarters if appropriate facilities are available.

Thems the rules...

I said this: "Besides, females sleep elsewhere in seperate campsites/areas"

Um....what is the difference? It's seperate. A campsite can be on the other site of a trail or 15 feet away. And that's how you split hairs....

I think it was 300 ft, or something like that.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ya know folks.......While it is a rule........We have to admit it is a pretty stupid one at this point...... While I don't condone live in arrangements.......   Lets look at this differently.  

#8 ,, Male and female leaders must have separate sleeping facilities. Married couples may share the same quarters if appropriate facilities are available.

Thems the rules...

Um....what is the difference? It's seperate. A campsite can be on the other site of a trail or 15 feet away. And that's how you split hairs....

I used 15 ft because Hueymungus did.. But perhaps 300ft may be safer.. After all our cooties are known to jump quite a distance.
Wow.. Lot's of advice on "Why I would break the rules.." All sound and reasonable, and if your group is basically all liberal thinking just fine and dandy.. I understand also where you are coming from with the changing times, and you not wanting to seem like some old fuddy-duddy..

But the OP stated that people in his group have come to him with concerns.. It's fine to ask you CO their preference, but basically your CO can add more rules to the BSA rules, but can't decide to not follow BSA rules.. So, this is like the homosexual your group makes a scout leader.. It is fine, until someone who is not OK with the situation turns you with a complaint about it to council.. Before you do it, you should be sure everyone in the group is in agreement, and there is no one "voicing concerns"..

Also could become an unwanted slippery slope when you say fine to this unmarried couple for the reason that they kind of seem married by all living together anyway.. Then a year later have a father who is going through a mid-life crisis and changing sex-partners on a weekly basis wanting to bring their girlfriend of the week along with him..

Do what you want, follow the rules, don't follow the rules.. But, make sure you think things through when you decide not to follow the rules.

I'm not being condescending. I'm simply pointing it that it is an impossible rule to follow with any sort of consistency as it is written and as you and other posters have indicated it should be followed.
Wow.. Lot's of advice on "Why I would break the rules.." All sound and reasonable, and if your group is basically all liberal thinking just fine and dandy.. I understand also where you are coming from with the changing times, and you not wanting to seem like some old fuddy-duddy..

But the OP stated that people in his group have come to him with concerns.. It's fine to ask you CO their preference, but basically your CO can add more rules to the BSA rules, but can't decide to not follow BSA rules.. So, this is like the homosexual your group makes a scout leader.. It is fine, until someone who is not OK with the situation turns you with a complaint about it to council.. Before you do it, you should be sure everyone in the group is in agreement, and there is no one "voicing concerns"..

Also could become an unwanted slippery slope when you say fine to this unmarried couple for the reason that they kind of seem married by all living together anyway.. Then a year later have a father who is going through a mid-life crisis and changing sex-partners on a weekly basis wanting to bring their girlfriend of the week along with him..

Do what you want, follow the rules, don't follow the rules.. But, make sure you think things through when you decide not to follow the rules.

Sorry that you have a troop or pack who have members that never communicate with each other, so you don't know who is married, who is dating, who is engaged to be married, who is getting a divorce.. If the scout someone brings every week is their son, or is an uncle that is very into scouting while the child's parents are not or whatever.. Usually those type of things I find out usually with the very first discussion, or as I see them week to week, and their life changes..

I can see one quiet family group keeping to themselves and be surprised in finding that what you assumed over the past year they were enrolled wasn't quite correct.. But, I would see that as an oddity and not the norm..

Thems the rules...

I'm thinking a sleeping bag might be defined as a sleeping facility.

Thems the rules...

Joe Bob: Sure, if you're sleeping under the stars.

By the way, I am noticing that after dropping this question on us, comchair seems to be letting us just chat among ourselves. Please come back!

Yes, it does get complicated these days. Youth may not share a tent with adults unless those adults are

Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings

Male and female leaders must have separate sleeping facilities. Married couples may share the same quarters if appropriate facilities are available.

Now, when we went camping, we would separate the tents of female leaders (usually few in numbers) and also face their tent is a different direction. It was more of a privacy issue than a safety issue. We'd also separate as best we could, the adults and youth.

Adults of different genders are not allowed to share a tent unless married to each other. For example, two married couples could not share a four man tent.

Yes, it does get complicated these days. Youth may not share a tent with adults unless those adults are

Male and female leaders must have separate sleeping facilities. Married couples may share the same quarters if appropriate facilities are available.

Now, when we went camping, we would separate the tents of female leaders (usually few in numbers) and also face their tent is a different direction. It was more of a privacy issue than a safety issue. We'd also separate as best we could, the adults and youth.

Adults of different genders are not allowed to share a tent unless married to each other. For example, two married couples could not share a four man tent.

But what if you have a hotel tent with a zippered separate room and egress ? How is that different from a cabin with a sheet dividing the bunks ?

:)

Two couples can share a tent. It does not say A Married Couple or A Single Married Couple...Says couples, plural...Married couples may share the same quarters

pretty cut and dried

Hmmm, so BSA isn't concerned about swinging and orgies. :)

Swinging is okay at 300 ft...

A few things I don't understand;

A) Mom is on her 3rd marriage; has 2 kids from hubby #1, 1 kid from hubby #2, and is 8 months pregnant by Hubby #3 (They have been married a whopping 3 months.) The new Dad is on his second marriage; he also has 2 kids from wife #1, but has 1 kid from the mistress that resulted in the divorce from wife #1, and the current woman is expecting, per above. This couple gets to share a tent because BSA has decided that married=morally good???

B) Mom and Dad have been together for 20 years and have produced four beautiful offspring. They have never had any other relationships, affairs, etc. They have chosen not to get married and often joke that they have been living in sin so long that Satan has given them their own zip code. This couple can not share a tent because BSA has decided not married = not moral???

C) Jake and Dan are not married because it's not legal in their state, but they have been together for 15 years; 11 years ago the adopted their son Jimmy. This couple, while not married can share a tent because they are the same gender????

Females can sleep in the same area as males.. Hueymungus is wrong on that, perhaps it's a policy of his pack/troop.. If you had only a mother as a legal guardian she is fine sleeping with her child, IN THE SAME AREA as the rest of the Webelos..

But.. unmarried couples can not sleep in the same tent during any scouting event, period.. And - only legal guardians can sleep with a youth, period.. So you have two issues that would get you in trouble.. I know these are BSA rules, but I could not tell you were the rule is in writing. This is the closest I came.. http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/...GSS/gss01.aspx

go down to the section titled "Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings" look at # 8... Also look at # 11..

#11,,When staying in tents, no youth will stay in the tent of an adult other than his or her parent or guardian.

I have never heard the G2SS stating "parent or guardian MUST sleep in the tent with the scout.. just the one in #11.. So there is no problem with 2 or 3 scouts sleeping in one tent, but then unless they are all brothers, NO parents can sleep in the same tent, because although they are guardian to one of the boys, they are not guardian to all of the boys.. But even if the scout was in another tent with other scouts.. Still boyfriend/girlfriend could not tent together.. Yes it says leaders.. But even if neither are registered scouters, any adult on the campout is an adult leader.. This rule apply to anyone on the campout.. So father/son in one tent and girlfriend in a seprate tent.. Or scout in with other youth, but father/girlfriend still in individual tents themselves.. updated this, because I forgot to mention that if someone other then a parent/guardian comes on the trip to be a scouts adult representation.. That is fine, but they would not be able to sleep in the same tent.. So if an uncle came camping in place of the parents, he maybe is the temporary guardian for the weekend, but he is not legally the permanent guardian, so they tent separately.

But the women can be in the same campsite, seriously their cooties will wash off.

Thems the rules...

Our Council does not allow parents to share sleeping quarters with Scouts. I worked as camp Staff one year and was told that my boys couldn't share the cabin I was assigned, they had to set up a tent next to the cabin so I could keep an eye on them.

A) Mom is on her 3rd marriage; has 2 kids from hubby #1, 1 kid from hubby #2, and is 8 months pregnant by Hubby #3 (They have been married a whopping 3 months.) The new Dad is on his second marriage; he also has 2 kids from wife #1, but has 1 kid from the mistress that resulted in the divorce from wife #1, and the current woman is expecting, per above. This couple gets to share a tent because BSA has decided that married=morally good???

B) Mom and Dad have been together for 20 years and have produced four beautiful offspring. They have never had any other relationships, affairs, etc. They have chosen not to get married and often joke that they have been living in sin so long that Satan has given them their own zip code. This couple can not share a tent because BSA has decided not married = not moral???

C) Jake and Dan are not married because it's not legal in their state, but they have been together for 15 years; 11 years ago the adopted their son Jimmy. This couple, while not married can share a tent because they are the same gender????

And We see Why BSA is having Problems..NO Clearly defined anything..every One has their "point of View on Every issue facing Boy Scout today

A) Not because any given couple is "good", but because the institution is worth upholding.

B) there is (was) such a thing as common law. But if parents are making a mockery of marriage, why should they expect accommodation?

C) Jake and Dan can't be leaders.