Cookware for Cub campouts/sleepovers

Well my Cast iron is Used all the Time..Never a chance to go Rancid
Same with me, but not all my cast iron gets used daily/weekly. A lot of it gets stored from one camping season to the next. That's way too long of a storage. Most oils go rancid within 6-9 months and if you've ever opened up a summer camp DO right out of the storage barn, you'll know immediately what I mean. :)

Stosh

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually for "cubs first night out" we tend to do foil wraps in the coals of the fire.

The kids get to cut up, clean all the veggies n stuff themselves, works good with hamburger or minced meat,

I and think that "I wrapped it myself" thingo is pretty cool for the small ones.

Another nice thing is "eggs in a bag"

just have a "buffet" with grated cheese, bacon, ham, mushrooms whatever and each kid gets a couple

of eggs, cracked into a ziplock bag raw and mixed with what they want,

then each scout writes their name on their bag and all the bags go in a big pot of boiling water and - voila - scrambled eggs and

you dont even need to do dishes (spoon right out of the bag like an MRE LOL)

Oh and I love Dutch Ovens. I need to get myself one. Mmmmh peach cobbler nom nom...

Nike - why do foil wraps then? I have had food burn in foil wraps. But we do it again every single year.

To be honest, I have NEVER EVER TO THIS DAY had a zip lock bag pop or leak.

And its not about boiling eggs in a bag - its about making scrambled eggs in a bag: omlette zip lock.

Part of the Cub programm is to do fun things that interest the small boys.

German scouts make "stick bread" - you know how often that drops into the fire?

I think every scout should be like MacGyver and able to improvise.

By the Way I season my Cast Iron with Lard...Better than Vegatable Oil..Never use a liguid oil to season with
If you just can't get past cooking with rocks they sell trivets for them. I know a DL that used some bolts to hold a pan off the bottom. Though a trivet is best to keep a roast off the bottom.

I don't know if its the best but the Dale Smith book has lots of tricks and great recipes. Some welding gloves, lid lifter and lid holder are handy accessories. The lid holder works great as a grate for the coffee pot as well.

Usually for "cubs first night out" we tend to do foil wraps in the coals of the fire.

The kids get to cut up, clean all the veggies n stuff themselves, works good with hamburger or minced meat,

I and think that "I wrapped it myself" thingo is pretty cool for the small ones.

just have a "buffet" with grated cheese, bacon, ham, mushrooms whatever and each kid gets a couple

then each scout writes their name on their bag and all the bags go in a big pot of boiling water and - voila - scrambled eggs and

Oh and I love Dutch Ovens. I need to get myself one. Mmmmh peach cobbler nom nom...

berliner, I've started wrapping foil dinners in two layers of foil with a damp paper towel between the foil layers. I also add a little liquid to the veggies. No more burnt dinners! I believe I learned those tricks here on the forum.

thank you sasha. one of the things I like most about scouters is how we constantly teach & learn. all these lil MacGyver things we do LOL