Little victories

I don't know if you all love the juicy saga of my cub pack, but thought I'd update you. We had a meeting tonight. (Was supposed to be last week, but committee member emailed us the day of- on a Sunday, when many of us aren't online. Several of us told her we need at least a day's notice, so she did this time.)

The Primary president came to our meeting. (This is lds scouts.) I like it when she comes. She's a sensible person. I got permission to spend money on craftsman. Woohoo! We've made tangrams and a frame. We need to do one more wood project and three not-wood projects. (We have them planned.)

Unfortunately, there uncertainty about the future of the pack. We were going to combine with another, then told we weren't and to just recruit (who would we recruit?). The committee member was still saying that- and she likes it best this way anyway because her son gets personal attention. (He's the boy in two packs.) I came home to find from my husband, who is "in the know" that we are going to combine with another pack. It will happen because the stake president has said that he wants it to happen. (I might have communicated with him and he apparently cares.) The only thing up in the air is that we aren't sure with which pack we will combine. Another ward is deliberating right now.

The bad news is that even though we have only 2 wolves and 2 bears, they absolutely refuse to combine together (Even just have their meetings at the same place, but separate just so they have 2 deep leadership.) and the wolf leader isn't doing anything. She has no plans. Probably won't do anything at all. We have two brand new wolves. I've been forbidden to run the wolf meeting. (Because the cub master doesn't want me to go looney.) Hopefully we'll get someone else to come do wolves or combine before these new boys are lost from the program.

Oh, and to make my planning a bit more complicated- it had been arranged for our boys to go to 11 year old scouts with the neighboring troop. I asked the bishop if that's what our webelos would do. (I think it's a bit crazy to send them off to another troop for one year and then come back, but the bishop's in charge.) He said, "yes", they will go to the other troop. (In the "D" wad.) That was before the latest information on combining cub scouts with a different pack. (In the "C" ward.) So, I asked, if the cub scouts go to the "C" ward, then shouldn't they then go on to 11 year old boy scouts in the "c" ward, too? Yes, if they go that way, then that's the troop they'll join. I talked to the scout master today and he is pushing for combining regular (12+) boy scouts with another ward as well because they don't have numbers either and are also suffering from lack of enthusiasm in leadership. (Scout Master is very enthusiastic and was put in to fix the mess.) The boys are doing their outdoor activity with our ward's boy scouts this week and I have arranged for them to visit ward "D"'s ll year old scouts next month. If we end up combining with ward "C", we'll do the third meeting and scoutmaster's conference over there. It's crazy! I hope it all gets sorted out soon. The first boy graduates to boy scouts in January.

It sounds like you're all really close together geographically. Why don't you just combine into one or two packs? You could have a Tuesday pack and a Wednesday pack. Trying to keep a pack in each ward sounds like it is simply not working out for the boys.

Although crazy, indeed, because of your unstable adult assigments, Webelos dens often visit multiple troops. Son #1 and I visited and camped with 3. Also if troops can partner for activities and still maintain their identity. In fact, growing up, my troop (with a Presbyterian church), did a few activities with an LDS troop.