Merit Badge classes at scout meetings?

Peri,

Alas, the troop in question is getting the parents registered as MBCs and they are doing MBs as their only program. Most camp outs they do now are MB weekends. One scout that transferred to us said the campout with us in which the scouts did trailblazing and goofing off was the best camp out ever. I can't wait to see him on one of our water weekends. Now that we got 2 trailer hitch equipped vehicles, SM can bring sailboat, and the other driver can bring the canoes. :)

edited: reminds me of a Cub Scout pack with the leaders doing all the work

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cnew, Noticed everyone here has been discussing the cons? Here are some Pros (none of which benefit the boy, only the adults):   MBC doesn't have to figure out a meeting place. MBC only needs t

We've been doing the exercise part of the Personal Fitness badge as a troop over the summer. We did the 12 weeks, now the boys have to learn the material and talk to a Counselor about it. In our troop

Our troop's policy is no merit badge work during troop meetings. Our scoutmaster is at 99% of troop meetings 1 hour early for scouts to work on merit badges or advancement. It makes it easy for scou

Isn't there a point of diminishing returns on a program like that. Knock out the Eagle required and a few electives in a year or so and then what do you do?

Here's a thought. If you think Boy Scouting is all about advancement, you earn more advancement bling. If you think there is more to it than advancement, you could do all the other stuff.

Isn't there a point of diminishing returns on a program like that. Knock out the Eagle required and a few electives in a year or so and then what do you do?

Exactly! One of the reasons they are losing scouts. From talking to scouts who have left;

1) Meetings feel like school.

2) For those who have the MB already, boredom, misbehavior, or playing basketball are the options.

3) Focus is soley on the "older" scouts: working MBs and getting Eagle. The new Scouts are not learning the basic T-2-1 skills.

4) Not enough camping and fun.

5) Adults doing the work (which is really sad since they sent 2 Scouts to NYLT who came back fired up and ready to go, only to have the SM and adults shut them down)

One of their scouts transerred and got Eagle with the new troop. Guess what, unlike the Eagles in his old troop, he's staying around for 2 reasons. 1) He wants the Hornaday Award ( he's planning a project at this time) and 2) HE'S HAVING FUN WITH THE NEW TROOP (caps for emphasis, OK maybe a little shouting in joy ;) )

It would take more than a year of weekly 1.5 hr meetings to knock out all the Eagle required badges during meetings.

That said, I think it would be a really strange program. We mainly concentrate on T-2-1 requirements. IMHO, they are the basic skills that all the scouts need to know well.

In the troop I'm talking about, all of the scouts save one are First Class through Life. They have one Tenderfoot.

Also to go along with #5 above.

5A) All the youth positions are appointed by the SM. Reason being to give everyone a chance at a POR.

Exactly! One of the reasons they are losing scouts. From talking to scouts who have left;

1) Meetings feel like school.

2) For those who have the MB already, boredom, misbehavior, or playing basketball are the options.

3) Focus is soley on the "older" scouts: working MBs and getting Eagle. The new Scouts are not learning the basic T-2-1 skills.

4) Not enough camping and fun.

5) Adults doing the work (which is really sad since they sent 2 Scouts to NYLT who came back fired up and ready to go, only to have the SM and adults shut them down)

One of their scouts transerred and got Eagle with the new troop. Guess what, unlike the Eagles in his old troop, he's staying around for 2 reasons. 1) He wants the Hornaday Award ( he's planning a project at this time) and 2) HE'S HAVING FUN WITH THE NEW TROOP (caps for emphasis, OK maybe a little shouting in joy ;) )

I see all of this every week. It can be Hell to be an SA.

I see all of this every week. It can be Hell to be an SA.

It can be worse to be the SA and spouse of a type-A personality with a 17.9 yo life scout.

"Can't you become a counselor for one of his remaining MBs?"

"Sure, honey, you know me. I'd love to add to the BS in the BS of A."

(Actually, I didn't have the spine to say that. Instead, I pawned it off on the District Advancement Chair who knows everyone in the troop and has no qualms about raising red flags.)