Patrol Leaders Handbook

Thanks - I will try it as listed.

When our troop started I did use the 3rd edition SM handbook for the first 4 weeks pretty much as it suggested, and quickly took a hold of the camping at a distance, despite all the fears I heard from parents that first weekend. I feel both of those items worked very well.

That said I did fail to train the Scouts on how to lead, I was too afraid of becoming Webelos III and relied only on "Coach 'em, Trust 'em, Let 'em Lead." As a new leader it was difficult to recognize the differences between Training and doing for them as training was often thought of as training the whole group of boys and not just their leaders since they were all essentially starting from the same spot.

Putting the distance between adults and Scouts from the first campout was very helpful. As much to train the adults as to get the Scouts to realize this was theirs and they had to make things work. As we have grown the distance between patrols hasn't and the past couple of outings have shown that they need more space between them to not just become a blob of Scouts not doing much of anything.

When our troop started I did use the 3rd edition SM handbook for the first 4 weeks pretty much as it suggested, and quickly took a hold of the camping at a distance, despite all the fears I heard from parents that first weekend. I feel both of those items worked very well.

That said I did fail to train the Scouts on how to lead, I was too afraid of becoming Webelos III and relied only on "Coach 'em, Trust 'em, Let 'em Lead." As a new leader it was difficult to recognize the differences between Training and doing for them as training was often thought of as training the whole group of boys and not just their leaders since they were all essentially starting from the same spot.

Putting the distance between adults and Scouts from the first campout was very helpful. As much to train the adults as to get the Scouts to realize this was theirs and they had to make things work. As we have grown the distance between patrols hasn't and the past couple of outings have shown that they need more space between them to not just become a blob of Scouts not doing much of anything.

Please tell us about your Patrol Leaders and SPL. In a Troop of twenty, you would be lucky to have two natural leaders.

I wouldn't consider any of them to be, except for a recent older Scout how transferred in who clearly understands the leadership roles and specifically joined us as he thought he could provide us the most help of the units he was looking at.

We are 16 months old.

1-16 year old. 3-13 year olds the rest under 13; I'm most proud of the fact we have had 100% retention so far with really only 1 Scout that lacks regular participation.

The 16 year old and a 12 year old are brand new transfers (within the last month). They also come from troops on the opposite end of the boy/adult led spectrums. Both are Star Scouts. All the rest are Tenderfoot or Second Class, I have a couple Scouts who have set goals to complete first class by the end of November. One PL and the SPL should be first class by the end of the year.

Currently, we have no ASPL. The 16 year old I have made a JASM tasked with mentoring the PLC and is essentially acting as an ASPL. He has been a PL several times and SPL in his previous troop. I am very glad he joined us.

The PL’s (11 & 12) and SPL (12) I would say all fall into the category of caring leaders. The SPL is very much a peace maker and the type nobody dislikes, but not what I’d call a natural leader. They aren't self-focused (that is for 12 year olds), no ADD. They have the ingredients I can easily work with. They have been willing to speak of issues and how to address them. The last PL’s were more self-centered so I was pleased with the choices this time. Though I did speak to all the scouts beforehand to address what they should be looking for when electing a PL.

One PL has decent outdoor skills; the other two are quick studies but need more experience outdoors.

From day one the adults have camped separately, I currently ask the SPL where they want the adults to camp and we go camp there. I do come around during certain meals where cooking is a concern, though I will say their cooking is usually a strength in both patrols. The Patrols have always camped closer; I wasn't concerned before when we had 6-8 Scouts showing up, they often shared information or watching each other would remind the other patrol to put bleach in the third tub. On recent outings though we have had 12-14 Scouts show up and the closeness of the patrols is showing to undermine the PL's and Patrol spirit.

Yes, a Baden-Powell Troop camp is a wagon wheel. The adults are at the hub with a 300 foot radius to each Patrol, and the Patrols likewise are spaced 300 feet apart from each other along the circumference.

In both Hillcourt's Patrol "Method" and Baden-Powell's Patrol "System," the Scoutmaster takes an active role in guiding each Patrol toward its most mature Scout, and encouraging them to stick with him (for as long as he is the best leader).

I talk to each natural leader individually and ask him if he would be willing to be a Patrol Leader (rather than SPL or some other office). I tell him the truth: I need someone I can trust to move the Troop in the direction of controlled risk.

If the natural leaders don't get elected, I keep the Patrols with immature Patrol Leaders on a shorter leash. When I was a Scoutmaster rebuilding a "Troop in trouble," I would take a natural leader along with me on a recruiting presentation and appoint him as "Troop Guide" of the new Scouts I brought into a Troop. After a few weeks it was natural for the new eleven-year-olds to vote for this older boy as Patrol Leader.

Your SPL sounds perfect for a Troop-level position: "a peace maker and the type nobody dislikes, but not what I’d call a natural leader." Good at keeping joint-Patrol activities (planned by the Patrol Leaders) on track, but as SPL he does he not deprive one of the Patrols of their best Scout as Patrol Leader.

On the other hand, I'd have my eye on the 16 year-old as a potential Patrol Leader. SPL, ASPL or JASM is a waste of his talent if he proves to be the Scout you would rather have in charge of a Patrol Hike miles from the nearest adult. The other Patrol Leader will tend to both model himself on the older Patrol Leader, and compete with him.

What it boils down to is, who in each Patrol do you trust to build fires during Hillcourt's "chop" hikes, and otherwise keep the Patrol members from harm's way when adults are not hovering nearby?

• 1 month later...

So we have held the first two meetings, mostly as written. I only changed out some Skill instruction for areas where we are weak.

I've already seen a big difference in our meetings. In a couple of meetings that they over estimated how long things would take they pulled items from our training meeting such as the Buddy Slings.

One thing I personally have gained a better respect for is their need to be able to visualize or pull on a previous experience to copy or emulate in order to do it on their own. ​After watching their reaction to the Hand Slap or Indian Leg Wrestling games I'm starting to demo a Scoutcraft or recreational game during our post meeting reviews each week to help give them additional items from. Deer stalking (SPL or JASM acting as the deer) is one they have taken a strong liking to.

We did discuss Kudu's comments on it being a waste for our older Scout to be a JASM and he would be better as a Patrol Leader listening to their discussion I think they all understood it. I know took me a couple of discussions regarding having independent patrol meetings to fully appreciate it. We haven't made that change though. He is though helping each patrol leader coordinate their own meetings which we hope to have each patrol hold two stand alone meetings next month. We are also talking of modifying their calendar in December to hold independent patrol outings, he wants to go with each patrol to help guide their PL.

I am anxious to see how these impact both the patrol spirit as well as the activities that take place during the meetings.