webelos attending boy scout meetings

I would. As Akela, you need to sign off on their attendance because parents can't sign off on Webelos requirements. It will also help strengthen your connection to the Boy Scout troop. Besides, Orienteering is a good skill to learn for adults as well as kids.

I am sure you have see this paragraph from the GTSS posted before "A Webelos Scout may participate in overnight den camping when supervised by an adult. In most cases, the Webelos Scout will be under the supervision of his parent or guardian. It is essential that each Webelos Scout be under the supervision of a parent-approved adult. Joint Webelos den/troop campouts including the parents of the Webelos Scouts are encouraged to strengthen ties between the pack and troop. Den leaders, pack leaders, and parents are expected to accompany the boys on approved trips." But as others have said, orienteering is fun, I wouldn't miss it. I thought you were looking forward to Boy Scouts.

No, you don't have to go. You have to find an appropriate replacement for yourself to be responsible for the Webelos. I'd clear it with the Scoutmaster first, he may have preferences that should be respected as well. Is the activity overnight or a day trip?

I am sure you have see this paragraph from the GTSS posted before "A Webelos Scout may participate in overnight den camping when supervised by an adult. In most cases, the Webelos Scout will be under the supervision of his parent or guardian. It is essential that each Webelos Scout be under the supervision of a parent-approved adult. Joint Webelos den/troop campouts including the parents of the Webelos Scouts are encouraged to strengthen ties between the pack and troop. Den leaders, pack leaders, and parents are expected to accompany the boys on approved trips." But as others have said, orienteering is fun, I wouldn't miss it. I thought you were looking forward to Boy Scouts.
It's not a campout- just the bi-weekly boy scout meeting, but they are having an outdoor activity, so the webelos can join and sign that off. The reason I ask about my attendance is that there is a CERT course being offered in my community (Community emergency response training) and I thought I'd go get myself educated to help out my community. It is being held on the boy scout meeting night. My helper (cub master) cannot attend either. Couldn't I just verify with the scout master that all the boys attended? (And make sure it's okay with him that they aren't accompanied by me? I think I'd embarrass them.)
Well in that case, you have my permission to skip out. :)

Is this troop in the same 3 block ward or whatever so they can all walk to the meeting ?

Biweekly can mean twice week or every two weeks.

Why would you embarrass the Webelos ? You are their leader. And yes, talk to the SM. Can one of the Webelos Parents go in your place ?

christineka, if the CERT course is offered at another time, I strongly recommend you attend so that you can see the boy scouts in action and what the goal of the Webelos program is.

You will have a chance to talk to the adult leaders of the troop and learn more about what awaits your Webelos on the other side of the bridge.

christineka, if the CERT course is offered at another time, I strongly recommend you attend so that you can see the boy scouts in action and what the goal of the Webelos program is.

You will have a chance to talk to the adult leaders of the troop and learn more about what awaits your Webelos on the other side of the bridge.

I realized, though, that this isn't what the webelos will go into right away. They will go to the other ward for 11 year old scouts (patrol for only 11 year olds) and then when they turn 12, they'll get to come back to our ward for regular boy scouts. The CERT course is 6 weeks long. The first day is tomorrow night, which is why I need to make a decision asap. It will not be held for another year.

Okay, so does this sound crazy to anyone else? The boys graduate to boy scouts and go to another troop for 1 year (to the other ward), then when they are 12 they transfer back to our ward's boy scouts. Should I urge for a change? It just sounds weird to send my son to another troop (even if it is just the 11 year old patrol) for only a year. He'd have a different scoutmaster.

With that in mind, should I then be contacting, whoever does 11 year old scouts in the other ward for the boys to visit?

Okay, so does this sound crazy to anyone else? The boys graduate to boy scouts and go to another troop for 1 year (to the other ward), then when they are 12 they transfer back to our ward's boy scouts. Should I urge for a change? It just sounds weird to send my son to another troop (even if it is just the 11 year old patrol) for only a year. He'd have a different scoutmaster.

With that in mind, should I then be contacting, whoever does 11 year old scouts in the other ward for the boys to visit?

I thought they did some kind of missionary or religious study for that donut year, that is why there is no Second Webelos year in LDS.

Yes, it sounds crazy to many of us non LDS folks. LDS used their power and money to get concessions from the BSA that no other religion or organization has. If you want to take on the power structure of your Church, I will be your cheerleader. I learned a long time ago to never tell a woman she can't do something.

I suggest you look into the whole LDS scouting program, it is not regular Boy Scouts. I think they are only in it for a short time and then are moved to Varsity Scouts at 14, then off to Venturing at 16. Google will be your friend here. I will warn you there are several sites out there that will be very critical of how the LDS does things. Especially when it comes to earning Eagle and the Eagle Projects. (Cleaning carpets in the Stake and such). So don't go looking if you won't like what you find.

Nothing wrong with visiting a troop you won't be joining for a couple of years. Your boys can ask the older boys what that in-between year is like.

Tailoring a program to suit the spiritual needs of the community doesn't sound all that crazy to me. It's just how to make scouting work.

I talked to cub master (mom of a boy) and she's happy to go. Two of the boys have older brothers in the troop, but hers and mine don't, so maybe they'd feel awkward. I guess I feel like a frumpy mom and would be embarrassing to young boys, trying to look cool for their older peers.

The boy scouts meet every other week or two times a month or something like that. I think. I should look into this! I don't know what boy scouts do. When I was a kid, I went to boy scouts with my dad sometimes. I remember them playing a lot of dodge ball and not much else.

Lol. My Scout is a geek, so I don't have to deal with the "cool" factor (yet). He still thinks I am COOL. He would rather be in the Old Goats Patrol. I have to kick him back all the time.