Webelos Pins--Belt Loops required

For many of the Webelos pins there are requirements to earn belt loops as a Webelo. For example, below Sportsman Pin requires 4 belt loops. Does EARN mean the Cub should be AWARDED another belt loop if he already has it from tiger, wolf or bear years. Should the Pack buy cubs/webelos two belt loops for the same thing?

1. Show the signals used by officials in one of these sports: football, basketball, baseball, soccer, or hockey.
  2. Explain what good sportsmanship means.
  3. While you are a Webelos Scout, earn Cub Scouting Sports belt loops for two individual sports (badminton, bicycling, bowling, fishing, golf, gymnastics, marbles, physical fitness, ice skating, roller skating, snow ski and board sports, swimming, table tennis, or tennis).
  4. While you are a Webelos Scout, earn Cub Scouting Sports belt loops for two team sports (baseball, basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball, flag football, or ultimate).

He has to earn it, he does't have to be awarded it, since that is a cost involved that many packs can't afford to duplicate. Give them the card to shwo he re-earned it, encourage him to earn the pin for the sport as well, since that's something higher to strive for. But the pack doesn't have to go buy the belt loop again.

• Upvote 1

What is this card you speak of? Does it have to be purchased? Our boys are awarded belt loops and.or pins, but no card. As for the answer to the question, I don't see the need to have duplicate belt loops. The boy can re-earn the belt loop as a webelos, but doesn't need to be given another.

What is this card you speak of? Does it have to be purchased? Our boys are awarded belt loops and.or pins, but no card. As for the answer to the question, I don't see the need to have duplicate belt loops. The boy can re-earn the belt loop as a webelos, but doesn't need to be given another.
The scout shop has cards for like .11 for the activity badges that have the CM and DL signatures on them. Sort of act like a blue card as proof the cub earned it. I suspect they have them for belt loops and pins also although I have never purchased one.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/literature-media/certificates/pocket/cub-scout-academics-sports-pocket-certificate.html

we give a card like that for all ranks, and for belt loops.

Our boy scouts include the Arrow of Light pocket certificate with their ranks and merit badges when they go for eagle. They file all the cards in a binder with baseball card holder pockets.

We don't award the BL again. They redo the requirements as Webelos. I try to see if we can get the pin.
If you look at baseball for example it is pretty hard to earn the pin without covering all the beltloop stuff unless you refuse to play an actual game. What kid is going to want to do all the drills without playing ?

The pins may be to involved for your purposes and time frame. I always felt they had the belt loops and pins backwards.

Accomplishments trump bling. If the boys play the games, they get the pin. Loop, card, or platinum embossed plaque is not necessary. If money's tight, don't even buy the pins. Just award the badge once they've completed the rest of the requirements.

• Upvote 1
We don't award the BL again. They redo the requirements as Webelos. I try to see if we can get the pin.
Bookemdano, I think you missed the point. The reason to go for the pin is they already earned the belt loop. Now the issue is the requirement says to earn the the belt loop as a Webelos. One of the requirements of the Baseball pin is to play 5 games, the beltloop is 1 game. It is hard to fulfill the requirements of the pin without also fulfilling the requirements of the beltloop. Therefor if the Scout chooses to earn the pin instead, because in a previous year he earned the belt loop, I don't see why that wouldn't satisfy the requirement.
For the Webelos requirements there is no -earn the pin INSTEAD of the loop. What is being said is to re-earn the loop (which ever loop), but for more interest, and because they are now 4-5th grade, to encourage/help them to go a bit further, and also earn the pin.

For some loops (like baseball) it might be easier to accomplish both the loop, and pin. For others, not so much. It is all up to the boy how much time/effort they are willing to put in. Most will simply stop at re-earning the loop.

That seems awfully legalistic. If they earned the loop, and earn the Pin as a Webelos, and you're fudging the loop requirements, who really cares? Honestly, if they put the time to working the sport, does it really matter if the Scout "explained the rules" to the Den Leader again when they did it years ago and clearly know the rules enough to play the game?

I mean, if someone picked up the pin through all the "book parts" - read a book about a player and report kind of things, alright, so be it... But I would absolutely push earning the Pin. If you want to train them in BSA legalisms, make sure you can check the boxes for the loop. They'll probably earn it anyway... Have them work with the Cubs to teach the Cubs the loop, they'll earn the loop by teaching the cubs and earning their pins.

There's more to belt loops than sports. There's a whole set of academics belt loops and the pins have really different requirements. There are many academic belt loops that are either requirements or options to count toward webelos activity badges.