How is everyone's popcorn going so far this year?

We are actually on track to beat last year, which I didn't think possible.

We are using a new incentive scheme that awards money towards our big campout or uniform. The kids incentive is the learning and council prize list.

Pretty good, but our goals were apparently too low. A handful of people are selling like crazy. We'd never done this one before, and it is pulling teeth to get most of my families to do much. Buy our new families were briefed and are doing what they are told. I was shocked how easy and fun it is. We stick to the $10 to $20 range, and people are generally happy and supportive. Scouts are excited for prizes. Dedicated parents want an awesome program. We got the jump on Girl Scout nuts so that is helping. The gift tins are outrageous unless its an office gift, but the $10 for 8 bags of popcorn doesn't buy anyone. Also, for the health conscious, the military donation is an easy sell, they can support the scout selling, get a donation letter on the spot, and not get chemical filled popcorn.

Starts first of October for us.

So far, I'm not very optomistic at all. The ONLY store to allow Packs and Troops to set up a show and sell is Lowes Hardware. Sure, there's 3 in the county, but by the time you divide that among all the packs and troops, each unit might get 1 day to sell.

Starts first of October for us.

So far, I'm not very optomistic at all. The ONLY store to allow Packs and Troops to set up a show and sell is Lowes Hardware. Sure, there's 3 in the county, but by the time you divide that among all the packs and troops, each unit might get 1 day to sell.

I can't believe the only store is Lowes! I know our lowes only allows boy or girl scouts to fundraise there, no one else.

Time for door to door show and sells if you really only have ONE place that lets you sell in front..

After seeing the prize selection, my son made a goal to hit $1000 in sales. He made $250 the first weekend, none of that to family/friends/coworkers. Its nice to see some ambition (and gives me something to hold over him when he feels like slacking).

• Downvote 1
After seeing the prize selection, my son made a goal to hit $1000 in sales. He made $250 the first weekend, none of that to family/friends/coworkers. Its nice to see some ambition (and gives me something to hold over him when he feels like slacking).
Thats great! My son actually saw something in the 4.5k prize list that he wanted. I said, do you know how much popcorn you will be selling to get that? And he looked at me all serious and stuff and said: I can go door to door until I get that much Mommy, I can do it.

Last year he did just over 1,000 mainly from show and sells and around $200 from going around his dad's office. We never went door to door in our neighborhood.

Our troop is doing better than last year. All scouts have exceeded their goals except 2; however sales are not over. We sell at Frys and Safeway grocery stores the first two weekends and this year we added Lowes. They also go door to door and sell to family and friends. The scout earn 38% since they do not want the prizes and it all goes into their scout account. This year the scouts decided to take 10% and put into the general fund. I have gotten donations from various businesses to use a prizes for top sellers etc and it works out well and keeps them motivated. The one thing I don't like about popcorn sale is the tracking. Wish I had an excel file that tracks all the popcorn, when the scouts exchange different kinds of popcorn etc. It is a nightmare to keep track of.

Our troop is doing better than last year. All scouts have exceeded their goals except 2; however sales are not over. We sell at Frys and Safeway grocery stores the first two weekends and this year we added Lowes. They also go door to door and sell to family and friends. The scout earn 38% since they do not want the prizes and it all goes into their scout account. This year the scouts decided to take 10% and put into the general fund. I have gotten donations from various businesses to use a prizes for top sellers etc and it works out well and keeps them motivated. The one thing I don't like about popcorn sale is the tracking. Wish I had an excel file that tracks all the popcorn, when the scouts exchange different kinds of popcorn etc. It is a nightmare to keep track of.
My popcorn spreadsheet got a lot more advanced this year, it tracks everything lol.
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got our final sales totals in. We sold $4200 this year, which is down from $5000 to $7000 in previous years. It's not so much the overall number that disappoints me, but rather that we had some dens with only a 20% participation rate.

We still have a few small orders to fill, but we are at close to 7000, down from 12,000 last year. This year we instituted a change that all Scouts must sell at least $200 to have their events free or partially paid for, and the same who haven't sold in the past still didn't. At least now they don't get something they didn't work for.