Where I can I find the Scout/Adult Conduct Agreements?

SPL t-15,

I really can't explain how you should do things because quite honestly your troop is doing some rather unique things.

I can explain how the program would relate to some of things your're experiencing. If you recall from Cub Scouts the term AKELA. it refered to the adults around you who were all your leaders in one way or another. Parents, teacher scout leaders, ministers, law enforcement officers, relatives, are all Akelas.

In cub scouts we begin teaching you that as a youth you 'follow Akela' because they are there to help you grow and develop. You still have Akelas in your life, and they still include the adults in your unit. Whether you take their advice is one thing, but they all deserve your courtesy and consideration.

The Scouting program does not place any committee members any higher than another, except for the Committee Chairperson. So this woman is no greater or lesser person in your troop regardless of her position of responsibility.

If your troop allows adults on the committee without registering them, then they are doing those people a great injustice. They are exposing those parents to possible litigation without the benefit of liability insurance given to every registered adult.

But as a youth in the program your closest adult resources are your parents and your Scoutmaster.

I cannot state strongly enough that these adult resources need to be called upon at this point. You and the other junior leaders should not be dealing with a disruptive adult. This is beyond you level of responsibility and authority regardless of whatever artificial rules you try to inpose or whatever justification you believe you have.

If these adult leaders are unwilling to resolve this situation either with the woman, or with you and the other junior leaders then they are being derelict in their responsibilities (It doesn't matter how cool you think they are). Run do not walk to another unit where the leadership understands their reponsibilities because such apathy could result in a youth being injured.

I appreciate your frustration over this incident but this is not what you are supposed to be doing as a scout and you need to stay out of it.

Bob White

Im sorry to say, but ive came to my decision.

As for your comments Bob White,

(1)She is registered

(2)I am going to deal with this. Im tired of you all attacking my SM, he is a dear friend of mine and helped with things beyond that of words. She is beyond listening to adults. I will do what is neccesary. She is not going to threaten me in any way shap or form. I respect her, but that's as for as it goes. I would take a bullet for the scouts, but not for her. I guess its time I tell you the real reason I dislike her so.

(3) I will never, mark me NEVER, join another troop. That is what she wants me to do, ill explain in the next post.

Im not going to stand around and wait for things to play out, i will take action. If this causes the end of my scouting, im sorry, but i will not allow any other scout to be treated as she has treated me. If i do get put out, and she does too, then i will have no regrets for my actions, only apologies.

It all began in my elementry years. I was in third grade, and her son was just begining 1st grade. She had said her son would be the best one in the history of the school. Many told them about three kids around his age. Me, my best friend, and my best friend that has now moved. She had made friends within the school board and at the school. It turns out us three had beaten him at all academics. Lets speed forward. Its now seventh grade, my last year at the school. Our principle had told everyone that me and my best friend(the other had now moved) were the best and smartest students in the history of the school(keep in mind the school was only about 20 yrs. old when i joined in first grade) the mom was now furious, since from the standings, her son could even now never catch up to us. So she tryed to attack me on another front. I was living in another parish at the time. She found out. She tryed to get me kicked out. And at mid-term the school said I had three week before i had to leave. Me and my family fought back. My principle tried to convince the school board, but they refused. So me and my family talked to them. Finally I came one on one with the Superintendant, he had remembered how many times we had met before, for i had earned many honors. He then brought it back to the Boards. He told me I could stay in the school parish. He told me he expected good things out me in the future.

I then finished out that last year at the school(you could only go to 7th grade at that school) and earned mnay awards, also one that only two others in the parish had received. A scholorship to go to New Orlean at any time during the next two years and visit the Zoo, Aqaurium, and Museum for free, and i could go for everyday if i wanted too. Lets speed up a year. I went to new school in parsih and and finished 8th grade there, also earning many awards, now we're in the 9th grade and her son is in the 7th grade at my old school. It turns out her son cant earn that award i earned, so she has tryed to get out of the parish, we fought back again, and we can still go there, but we have now moved here. She now hates me because of the acheivments i have earned. She now wants him to "beat me" in Boy Scouting. Currently, i am still "winning" in Boy Scouting.

Also, she tried to attack the other boy, my best friend. She caused him to drop out of scouting. But i promised him that she would not make me quit, because he had got first started in Cub Scouting, and I wasnt going to stop now.

And my Scoutmaster. He helped me deal with family problems. He kept me from doing things now that i look back on im glad i didnt. At first i joined scouting to hang with my friends, but he turned my life around, and im now SPL and Eagle canidate, when I didnt beleive i would earn Tenderfoot. He is like my second father, my mentor. His wife has many problems, cancer and things, and he cant deal with this woman right now. So I owe it to him and repay the favor, and help him out. I wont let him down.

Now that I have told you my entire story, I hope you now see why i think the way i do.

SPL_15

What can I say, I cant always follow what you are trying to say, but as I said in another thread, I admire your spunk. I wish there was a way I could help you because it does seem you are handling things beyond what you should, but I admire your nobleness of purpose.

This forum will give you many answers, opinions, ideas, etc. AS only you know the situation, you have to evaluate your best course of action. FOllow the scout law in all you do and you will be ok.

SPL,

On what basis did this woman try to get you kicked out of the parish school?

If your scoutmaster can't attend the meeting, try to get as many adults that understand how scouting works to attend. If they are 'just' parents, then I suppose that is all you can get. Given your positions in the troop, it sounds like she can't officially do anything to you and you can't do anything to her. Let her to be the one who is rude and/or verbally threatening. If this is done in front of parents, it may help reveal the situation to others.

If your scoutmaster can't make it to these meetings, perhaps you should consider scheduling them when he can attend. He can't arrive 30 minutes before the troop meeting? Could you have the counseling session after the troop meeting?

You said that the other adult leaders (ASM's and Committee) want her out of the position, but are reluctant to because of "politics." I can understand this, but I can't understand that they would just stand by while she acts this way in front of them. Does she behave this way during the troop meetings? What exactly, does everyone fear about her? If her behavior is as bad as you describe, then I can't imagine a group of adults that would stand by.

I would advise you to hold your ground and do not let yourself be visibly aggrevated by her. If she wants to be there, so be it. If she wants to interupt every three seconds, so be it. It's not hard to make her look really bad by responding politely or not at all. Try to do your job and hopefully she will expose herself to some other adults.

Unless we have more information, we can't really give too specific of advise. The whole situation seems surreal and I don't understand how this woman can have such immunity and control, especially in the parish school situation.

What exactly, are your plans? If the woman doesn't listen to adults, as you say, there is nothing you can do that they cannot.

1) I wasnt livving in the parish

2) I dont want any adults in the counseling becaue then the scouts wont tell me what is wrong, and everyone has something to do after the meeting, my SM has to check on his wife, homework, sports, etc.

3) yes

4) She has "friends" within the School Board(we are in the same school parish), her husband is the mayor of the town that the son as two other scouts attend, she is a member of the clubs that we gain much of our donations and help from, (these club beleive every word she tells them, ans we need mone for the troop) and she such a loud mouth.

5) I can act. As I have said before, I will not styand aside like some dang fool as she trys to run the troop, Myself and the JASM are already trying to get our old ASM back. And with five Eagle Scouts in the troop, we will act. She will act back by aiming the clubs at us, but I think that the parsih will beleive Eagle Scouts more than some short little loud mouth. Excuse my comment about her.

Ok, I m calm now. What Im trying to say is that, even thought many of you beleive this is wrong, if the adults and other members of the Committee wont act, the PLC will. Hopefully, we can convince the Committee to take her off the Committee. In her head, she thinks that adults are the head of everything. Which that is true, to a certain point. Adults are the heads, but in the Scouts, the boys are the entire body, without the body the head is useless. She basically needs to learn this is a boy'ran organization, unlike Cub Scouts.

But now, instead of attacking back, I've have decided not to stoop to her level. I will just smile, and be cheerful, I many not be to help it if a laugh or two comes out, but Im not going to let her bother me anymore. See, here's something funny.

At or meeting last night, I handed outa new phone lsit to everyone. Well, she had gotten one. By the end of the meeting, she had found two mistakes. They were that two members of the Committee wernt on there. One of them was pure accident, and the other name was hers. If her and her husband both live at the same house, are both on the Committee, and there is no reason that someone would not know that was her number( keep in mind we only have 10 scouts not including the Venturers) So she got all mad ande everything, and then i explained to her that Everyone knows that her and her husband have the same number, and why should I waste my ink to put something everyone already knows on there. Besides, no one needs to call her about anything on the Committee. If they did, when they called her husband, they were calling her too. Its that simple. Well, she got mad and jsut a hollaring away. So eventually I started to crack up, not on ppurpose, but because her argument was funny to me. Then she started holloring some more so I just walked off, since it takes me two hours to get home and there was no sense in listening to her argument. I mean she couldnt change it now.

Senior_Patrol_Leader_T15,

I commend you for the way you handled this situation. By not lowering yourself to her level, you are a better person. I pray you earn your Eagle & if you are ever in my area look me up. I wanna shake your hand.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

• 2 weeks later...

That family has now left our troop, but there is talk of them coming back.

If they do, would you give the scout his position back, or should he go back throught the initation(Court of Honor recite the Scout Oath and Law), or just continue on. We had been meaning to take it away from him any.

Also, the committee has now found the answer they wanted. They didnt want to kick them out, but they left (thanks to 5 certain scouts and a certain leader). And the Commmittee doesnt have to let them back on.

I know I shouldnt be so happy but when something happens you have been wishing to happen since Cub Scouting, you have to feel a little releived.

Keep in mind, I didnt want the scout and the family out of scouitng, just out of our troop.

The word "initiation" reeks of hazing and is not permitted in the Boy Scouts of America. I don't think that's what SPLt15 meant. If he meant that the re-joining Scout still needs to meet the joining requirements, I don't have much problem with that.

But we don't do initiation rituals in the BSA.

DS

"You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!" (with apologies to Rod Serling) Yes it's Boy Scouts, but as seen through a rift in time and space from a parallel universe so similar to ours but never quite right as we might know it... expect the unexpected from Troop 15!

I didnt really mean an initiation dsteele, i just couldn't think of the word at the time :)

Also, forgot to mention, just got back from helping my friend(Eagle Scout canidate) do his Eagle Project(this was on 22nd & 23rd). Long story short, we got the project done, but with complaints from a citizen of the community.

He got us really mad, we had to call the law on him. We decided not to press charges on him, though.