Custom Additions to the Scout uniform?

Since National really doesn't have very high uniform standards, I want to see if anyone has "improved" or incorporated things like "shoulder cords" (like the military wears in dress uniforms), different hats (Berets, Garrison caps, Boonie hats, etc.), and anything else that looks good and/or serves a purpose. I am wanting to start some new award systems to strike some interest with the scouts of my troop, like the "Knot Ninja" program that many others are starting (just do a quick google search to learn more).

So, If you guys have any ideas and/or pictures of uniform ideas, post them up!

Thanks in advance.

First you do realize that B-P explicitly stated several times scouting is not the Military, right?

Second, all for seeing someone develop a new award. But if your going to call out an organizations uniform standard as not high enough and then intend to implement "shoulder cords" in contradiction to those very standards I think your a hypocrite. I also need to observe that this program is about Knot tying, a skill so basic to scouting that not being able to tie them means one does not advance in rank and you think people should be given uniform decorations for that?

Third, If you like fancy uniforms, and the idea of the Knot Ninja program, take a look at the Sea Scout program. It is challenging, more structured than Boy Scouts and it has a variety of Uniforms.

First of all, it is not up to YOU to "provide opportunities" to the Scouts in the unit. It is up to the PLC, the Scoutmaster, and the Committee. The Scoutmaster is in charge of the program side of things, and working with the youth members. The Committee is in supposed to help on the business end to make the program possible. If you feel there is a lack in your unit's program, talk to your SPL, and your Scoutmaster.

Second, knot tying is not the ONLY skill that a Scout should be learning. It rather defeats the purpose of the program to concentrate on only that one skill.

Last, for a (supposed) youth leader in a BSA Scout Troop to state that living by the Scout Oath, and the Scout Law, is not important, is very troubling to me.

Since you do not seem to particularly like the current BSA program, stating it has "decayed" over the 100+ years of it's existence, I have to ask again, why are you a member?

You stated that you would prefer if BSA were, in fact, a military organization. Why not join JROTC, Civil Air Patrol Cadets, Naval Sea Cadets, or Young Marines? Any of these programs would seem to be a better fit for you than BSA.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Um no. Just no. There is enough "customization" going on, and frankly most of it looks ridiculous. Sounds like you're in the business and looking for marketing ideas.

My goodness.         Your Troop seems to be lax on teaching the Scout Oath and Law also. Perhaps you should have them implement a new award where they stop you once a month, and have

OK, guys, it's time to stop beating the poor kid.   Paracord, you obviously have a lot of enthusiasm. That's a great asset to any troop. That said, your idea of awards for being able to do things t

My goodness.

take a look at the pukes who run the national level of this organization

Please, don't post responses that are not completely thought out. I found your comments to be very ignorant, and I believe your troop is very lucky to have a member with as much intelligence as yourself.

I hope that you are not "blind" and understand what I am talking about

Your Troop seems to be lax on teaching the Scout Oath and Law also. Perhaps you should have them implement a new award where they stop you once a month, and have you prove you know what they are, what they mean, and that you actually do try to live by them. Unfortunately, from your comments here, you seem to be sorely lacking in the Courteous part, along with a few others.

Young man, being on an internet board, and feeling that you are "immune" to consequences, does NOT excuse the above behavior.

Especially on a Scout forum, from someone claiming to be an under 18, Boy Scout, and a leader in his Troop.

BTW - I HAVE read both - the Charter and Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America (pub 57-191), and the Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America (pub 57-492).

It is not the answers I am being given, rather the way they are worded. But when I use the same type of response, I get talked down to.
Since National really doesn't have very high uniform standards, I want to see if anyone has "improved" or incorporated things like "shoulder cords" (like the military wears in dress uniforms), different hats (Berets, Garrison caps, Boonie hats, etc.), and anything else that looks good and/or serves a purpose. I am wanting to start some new award systems to strike some interest with the scouts of my troop, like the "Knot Ninja" program that many others are starting (just do a quick google search to learn more).

Thanks in advance.

First you do realize that B-P explicitly stated several times scouting is not the Military, right?

Second, all for seeing someone develop a new award. But if your going to call out an organizations uniform standard as not high enough and then intend to implement "shoulder cords" in contradiction to those very standards I think your a hypocrite. I also need to observe that this program is about Knot tying, a skill so basic to scouting that not being able to tie them means one does not advance in rank and you think people should be given uniform decorations for that?

Third, If you like fancy uniforms, and the idea of the Knot Ninja program, take a look at the Sea Scout program. It is challenging, more structured than Boy Scouts and it has a variety of Uniforms.

I am in fact a cadet in Army JROTC... maybe being in the program has set my standards too high. Anyway, did you read the whole post above you, I have not singled out knot tying, as it isn't the only skill that is important. I am sorry that you are troubled with my opinion on what is important, but I do practice all 12 points but I am only Friendly, Courteous, and kind to those who deserve it.

To answer your 2nd to last question, I am a member because I think it is a great organization. I have also learned countless skills that I use on a daily basis. However I have found that my troop does WAY more than ALL of the others. I also think this organization would run a lot better if all of the stupid politicians at National would get their selves squared away.

I think I'll pass on the button crap, But I like to see my scouts outperform all of the other troops.
Sorry, maybe I should have put a smiley face in there to show that I understand :)

There is also time for fun and time for seriousness, and I think the troop fun level is way above the serious level (just thought I'd let you know.)

Well there's the answer, isn't it. Scouting is a competition to you...a game of one-upsmanship. How sad.

Now, let's see, on the first page you wrote:

I think it is a good way to tell who can teach knot tying by simply looking at their lanyard, instead of spending a lot of time asking questions.

But now you say:

I think I'll pass on the button crap,

So a lanyard doodad is ok, but a button doodad is not ok? Now you are just contradicting yourself.

The best way to see how a scout performs is to SEE how they perform and ask them some questions (which you are loathe to do). That process does not require another doodad on the uniform. But you've already been told that, so...it's sort of pointless to talk with you from here on out.

Well the button thing was obviously a joke, but that comment was probably one of the best in the thread (being on topic)

Dedkad, I'm not mean, but I don't put up with BS. I think this attitude is perfect for making better scouts, maybe not by your standards though.

My goodness.

Please, don't post responses that are not completely thought out. I found your comments to be very ignorant, and I believe your troop is very lucky to have a member with as much intelligence as yourself.

Your Troop seems to be lax on teaching the Scout Oath and Law also. Perhaps you should have them implement a new award where they stop you once a month, and have you prove you know what they are, what they mean, and that you actually do try to live by them. Unfortunately, from your comments here, you seem to be sorely lacking in the Courteous part, along with a few others.

Young man, being on an internet board, and feeling that you are "immune" to consequences, does NOT excuse the above behavior.

Especially on a Scout forum, from someone claiming to be an under 18, Boy Scout, and a leader in his Troop.

BTW - I HAVE read both - the Charter and Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America (pub 57-191), and the Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America (pub 57-492).

Please show evidence that anyone insulted you, until you started mouthing off at them.

OK, guys, it's time to stop beating the poor kid.

Paracord, you obviously have a lot of enthusiasm. That's a great asset to any troop. That said, your idea of awards for being able to do things that are already covered by ranks sounds a bit redundant, and I think that's what people are complaining about. However, your trying to improve enthusiasm to do a good job is admirable. Is there another way to reward that? How about having a knot tying competition and giving out something for the top three? I had a knot tying competition and to even the field I had the older scouts do some of the knots blind folded. You really have to know the knots to do that. So, don't give an award for being average, make an award for going above and beyond.

Personally, I don't like adding awards to a uniform that can already look like bling central, so I'd modify the neckerchief, or add something to it. Also, I'd suggest not worrying about the length of hair. I'm old enough to have seen that when I was your age and it never had a positive outcome. Besides, I had hair that was as wide as my shoulders. It sure pissed my dad off.

Good luck.

• Downvote 1
OK, guys, it's time to stop beating the poor kid.

Paracord, you obviously have a lot of enthusiasm. That's a great asset to any troop. That said, your idea of awards for being able to do things that are already covered by ranks sounds a bit redundant, and I think that's what people are complaining about. However, your trying to improve enthusiasm to do a good job is admirable. Is there another way to reward that? How about having a knot tying competition and giving out something for the top three? I had a knot tying competition and to even the field I had the older scouts do some of the knots blind folded. You really have to know the knots to do that. So, don't give an award for being average, make an award for going above and beyond.

Personally, I don't like adding awards to a uniform that can already look like bling central, so I'd modify the neckerchief, or add something to it. Also, I'd suggest not worrying about the length of hair. I'm old enough to have seen that when I was your age and it never had a positive outcome. Besides, I had hair that was as wide as my shoulders. It sure pissed my dad off.

Good luck.

I bailed the second I found out he was a youth.....

I see nothing wrong with a Patrol looking to enhance it's identity. Had a patrol that wore green bandanna's on their wrists when I first joined the troop......Little to gangsta for my taste.....

Well there's the answer, isn't it. Scouting is a competition to you...a game of one-upsmanship. How sad.

Now, let's see, on the first page you wrote:

I think it is a good way to tell who can teach knot tying by simply looking at their lanyard, instead of spending a lot of time asking questions.

But now you say:

I think I'll pass on the button crap,

So a lanyard doodad is ok, but a button doodad is not ok? Now you are just contradicting yourself.

The best way to see how a scout performs is to SEE how they perform and ask them some questions (which you are loathe to do). That process does not require another doodad on the uniform. But you've already been told that, so...it's sort of pointless to talk with you from here on out.

ded then if he is patrol leader or SPL, he won't be re elected, pretty simple

I did a bit of "modifying" as Paracord is suggesting, but I did so within the limits of appropriate uniforming. The first thing I did was have a ranking by color a system of lanyards. Kind of a "reward" for outstanding work thingy. All I did was buy a bunch of lanyard cord of various colors and cut to about 6" lengths. Starting with the first color if I caught a boy doing something right he got the first color which would be larkhead knot through the button hole of the temporary patch pocket. Nothing says that pocket is sacred to anyone. If sewn correctly so the button hole can be used the OA patch even doesn't get in the way. One could "progress" by taking on more and more projects which were subject to SM approval of merit. It wasn't just doing the same thing over and over again, but challenging the skills of the scout in such things as leadership, organizational projects or whatever the SM deemed as appropriate. Of course the boys knew that by screwing up, the lanyard could be taken away and the boy would need to start earning it back. Not really appropriate, but we've all wanted to bust the boys in rank many times before. :) Well, being a temporary "patch" I would always emphasize the temporary part of it to the boys. They all knew what that meant. Of course even without switching out colors one could add value to the system along the way. The SPL would announce lights out, but all the boys with "blue" or above could stay an extra half hour at the campfire with the adults before heading to bed. No color changes, but a big perk nonetheless. This program can be modified to one's own situation without any national rules getting in the way, too. :)

Again, a troop adopts a certain uniform, but it doesn't need to all be the same. My honor patrol all purchased the expedition hat with the 2" FC badge on it and wore a colored hat cord to indicate his POR. SPL yellow, ASPL blue, PL, red, and because of the uniqueness of the hat I could identify my honor scouts from a long distance away. They also wore a specialty necker different from the rest of the troop. They carried both. When they operated as a patrol, they wore their patrol necker and when the troop gathered as a whole, they switched to the troop necker.

Eventually the rest of the troop adopted their own patrol neckers and it was kind of handy. As SM one could sit 300' away and see if all the boys were in their proper patrol area or not. :)

While none of this truly conforms to the official uniform, there is nothing that actually is deemed inappropriate for a troop to have some independence with.

It was always nice to see at Eagle COH's those little pieces of lanyard and different colored neckers displayed on their memory boards. It must have meant something important to them at one point.

Stosh

• Downvote 1

Remember my solution for the Cubs complaining about the hot scratchy uniform collars ? Silk Ascots. It fits perfectly. Very British, very military, all the cadets wear them. You guys will look dashing. Different colors for your ninja levels. Best of all it won't violate current BSA Guide to Insignia. (At least I don't think so) Or you could just have a poster board at your meeting place with everyone's current rank. I have heard of a attaching your landyards and beads idea to a carabiner off the belt, that would probably work also.

Thanks in advance.

I don't remember the qualifier "only Friendly, Courteous, and kind to those who deserve it".
My goodness.

Take a look at ScoutNut's comments:

"Since it seems that you mean that you do not take Scouting, or at least BSA uniform standards, seriously at all, I have to wonder why you are a member of the organization. "

I found this to be rude. I don't really see how this comment ties in with anything, except for the uniform standards part (I personally think the rules and reg, etc. are a joke).

"If a Scout is wearing a rank patch, you SHOULD EXPECT that he has completed all of the requirements to actually EARN that rank.

If the Scouts in your unit are not earning their ranks, then yes, that is very sad. However creating more awards (that very possibly will also not be properly earned) is not the solution."

Assuming that my scouts don't actually earn their ranks.

Basementdweller:

"how sad for your scouts.

You do understand that it supposed to be boy led"

Insulting my leadership skills

Is that enough proof? I also had to repeat most of this stuff over and over again, trying to get them to understand how I've seen (by my experiences) other troops act, treat scouting and the uniform.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, but that's just my personal take on it. I am not going to waste my time trying to be nice, when all that I get back is the opposite.