Custom Additions to the Scout uniform?

At summer camp, I asked this young scout why he had a cord around his arm, through the epaulets. He said that meant he didn't know his 6 knots yet, and he couldn't take it off until he knew his 6 knots. I kind of think that's not a good thing (verging on, if not outright hazing), but it would encourage the quick learning of knots.
The appropriate rank badge on his shirt should be sufficient to let the world know whether or not he knows his knots (and other stuff for that matter). One doesn't need anything else, as mentioned, it borders on hazing.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Um no. Just no. There is enough "customization" going on, and frankly most of it looks ridiculous. Sounds like you're in the business and looking for marketing ideas.

My goodness.         Your Troop seems to be lax on teaching the Scout Oath and Law also. Perhaps you should have them implement a new award where they stop you once a month, and have

OK, guys, it's time to stop beating the poor kid.   Paracord, you obviously have a lot of enthusiasm. That's a great asset to any troop. That said, your idea of awards for being able to do things t

Not sure where you would get the idea there is no standard. That is pretty much what the Uniform and Insignia Guide is all about I think. It is on line, so you do not have to have a hard copy.
Paracordman1220 said "Not to mention there is little to no enforcement of the uniform standards (To be honest there isn't much to enforce )."

I would agree there is poor enforcement, blame the Scoutmasters/Cubmasters. But there certainly IS quite a bit to enforce. Scoutnut mentioned it but did not link it. http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide.aspx

Then Paracordman1220 said "I see scouts with long feathery hair down to their shoulder and wearing rainbow epaulets."

The hair if well groomed is acceptable, we are making confident and capable young men, not clones. I think you meant to say they were wearing rainbow shoulder loops, on their epaulets. Regardless, I knew what you mean and you are correct. Have a problem take it up with their Unit Leader, do so in a Scout-like manner.

Paracordman1220 went on to say "Now, I'd appreciate it if you would get this back on topic and stop derailing the OP, or don't post at all."

Friendly... Courteous... Kind...

Since National really doesn't have very high uniform standards, I want to see if anyone has "improved" or incorporated things like "shoulder cords" (like the military wears in dress uniforms), different hats (Berets, Garrison caps, Boonie hats, etc.), and anything else that looks good and/or serves a purpose. I am wanting to start some new award systems to strike some interest with the scouts of my troop, like the "Knot Ninja" program that many others are starting (just do a quick google search to learn more).

So, If you guys have any ideas and/or pictures of uniform ideas, post them up!

Thanks in advance.

First you do realize that B-P explicitly stated several times scouting is not the Military, right?

Second, all for seeing someone develop a new award. But if your going to call out an organizations uniform standard as not high enough and then intend to implement "shoulder cords" in contradiction to those very standards I think your a hypocrite. I also need to observe that this program is about Knot tying, a skill so basic to scouting that not being able to tie them means one does not advance in rank and you think people should be given uniform decorations for that?

Third, If you like fancy uniforms, and the idea of the Knot Ninja program, take a look at the Sea Scout program. It is challenging, more structured than Boy Scouts and it has a variety of Uniforms.

If they once knew, whatever, a bowline, and were signed off, but have since forgotten and now can't, so you want an extra identification system--paracord, beads, whatever--your line of reasoning doesn't stand: What keeps the same boy who earned First Class and forgot the bowline from earning your "ranger bead" for bowline, and then forgetting the bowline the same as any other First Class scout?

There. is. no. reason. whatsoever. to. implement. a. parallel. recognition. system.

If you have trouble with skill retention in your troop, you need to create opportunities for them to utilize the skills thereby keeping them fresh in the mind, not a parallel program. In point of fact, if the point is to use boys to teach other boys, the simple act of teaching will remedy the situation on its own.

I did read the entire "Knot Ninja program" and it is an interesting concept, but as someone mentioned in this thread. It is the youth leadership of your Troops job to impart these skills on the boy. You have indicated that your unit *IS* boy led, and that you in fact are a youth member. Maybe you need to review how your Troops teaching skills as opposed to adding things to the uniform just to reinforce a single, basic skill...

Does your troop not go camping enough for these boys to apply these knots on a regular basis?

My goodness.

take a look at the pukes who run the national level of this organization

Please, don't post responses that are not completely thought out. I found your comments to be very ignorant, and I believe your troop is very lucky to have a member with as much intelligence as yourself.

I hope that you are not "blind" and understand what I am talking about

Your Troop seems to be lax on teaching the Scout Oath and Law also. Perhaps you should have them implement a new award where they stop you once a month, and have you prove you know what they are, what they mean, and that you actually do try to live by them. Unfortunately, from your comments here, you seem to be sorely lacking in the Courteous part, along with a few others.

Young man, being on an internet board, and feeling that you are "immune" to consequences, does NOT excuse the above behavior.

Especially on a Scout forum, from someone claiming to be an under 18, Boy Scout, and a leader in his Troop.

BTW - I HAVE read both - the Charter and Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America (pub 57-191), and the Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America (pub 57-492).

I just hate how this organization is slowly "decaying" over time. I mean look back in the first couple handbook editions, compared to now. If you read the first couple of posts I made in this thread, you can see where I do not lack the courteous part (but also cut out the "fluff" ;) ), but after a couple of ignorant things were posted up, you can see the lack of the "courteous" part. I guess That is about all that I am going to get out of you Scoutnut, and I apologize for getting off on the wrong foot. You also need to take a look at yourself, before trying to discipline others.

And yes Brew, I understand being a "total jerk" is unacceptable, but honestly most of these "scouters" aren't giving me much to work with.

Since National really doesn't have very high uniform standards, I want to see if anyone has "improved" or incorporated things like "shoulder cords" (like the military wears in dress uniforms), different hats (Berets, Garrison caps, Boonie hats, etc.), and anything else that looks good and/or serves a purpose. I am wanting to start some new award systems to strike some interest with the scouts of my troop, like the "Knot Ninja" program that many others are starting (just do a quick google search to learn more).

Thanks in advance.

First you do realize that B-P explicitly stated several times scouting is not the Military, right?

Second, all for seeing someone develop a new award. But if your going to call out an organizations uniform standard as not high enough and then intend to implement "shoulder cords" in contradiction to those very standards I think your a hypocrite. I also need to observe that this program is about Knot tying, a skill so basic to scouting that not being able to tie them means one does not advance in rank and you think people should be given uniform decorations for that?

Third, If you like fancy uniforms, and the idea of the Knot Ninja program, take a look at the Sea Scout program. It is challenging, more structured than Boy Scouts and it has a variety of Uniforms.

I've posted this once before and I guess I post it again.

Once a scout earns a rank, that does not guarantee that they will practice those skills. As far as the uniform standards, I was referring to long hair and things similar to it.

Thanks in advance.

You can post your statement again or you can read the replies given to you. The best way to be sure that a scout practices skills is to provide opportunities to use those skills. A knot competition does not guarantee that knot skills will be practiced. A knot competition fuels the scouts that are competitive and borders on hazing for those who are not.

BSA is not the military. Focusing on hair length is focusing on the wrong attributes. A Scout is Trustworthy, Helpful, Loyal, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, Reverent. Work on those first.

Thanks in advance.

I realize that the BSA is not the military, although I personally think it would run a lot smoother if it was like it.

I think I'll work on the important points first and come back to the lesser important ones after I have got them squared away with more important skills (such as Wilderness Survival, Knot Tying, First Aid, etc.)

Thanks for the recommendation, although, with one meeting a week and a camp out every month and a half, I don't think I can provide ENOUGH opportunities to hone their skills.

My goodness.

take a look at the pukes who run the national level of this organization

Please, don't post responses that are not completely thought out. I found your comments to be very ignorant, and I believe your troop is very lucky to have a member with as much intelligence as yourself.

I hope that you are not "blind" and understand what I am talking about

Your Troop seems to be lax on teaching the Scout Oath and Law also. Perhaps you should have them implement a new award where they stop you once a month, and have you prove you know what they are, what they mean, and that you actually do try to live by them. Unfortunately, from your comments here, you seem to be sorely lacking in the Courteous part, along with a few others.

Young man, being on an internet board, and feeling that you are "immune" to consequences, does NOT excuse the above behavior.

Especially on a Scout forum, from someone claiming to be an under 18, Boy Scout, and a leader in his Troop.

BTW - I HAVE read both - the Charter and Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America (pub 57-191), and the Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America (pub 57-492).

Just because you do not get the answers you want does not make those answers ignorant. You were given sound advice and good information which you chose and continue to choose to ignore.

If you are looking only for self-affirmation then don't post a question. If you post a question please keep an open mind. If you cannot do that then take some time and grow up before you post again.

Well there's the answer, isn't it. Scouting is a competition to you...a game of one-upsmanship. How sad.

Now, let's see, on the first page you wrote:

I think it is a good way to tell who can teach knot tying by simply looking at their lanyard, instead of spending a lot of time asking questions.

But now you say:

I think I'll pass on the button crap,

So a lanyard doodad is ok, but a button doodad is not ok? Now you are just contradicting yourself.

The best way to see how a scout performs is to SEE how they perform and ask them some questions (which you are loathe to do). That process does not require another doodad on the uniform. But you've already been told that, so...it's sort of pointless to talk with you from here on out.

Well there's the answer, isn't it. Scouting is a competition to you...a game of one-upsmanship. How sad.

Now, let's see, on the first page you wrote:

I think it is a good way to tell who can teach knot tying by simply looking at their lanyard, instead of spending a lot of time asking questions.

But now you say:

I think I'll pass on the button crap,

So a lanyard doodad is ok, but a button doodad is not ok? Now you are just contradicting yourself.

The best way to see how a scout performs is to SEE how they perform and ask them some questions (which you are loathe to do). That process does not require another doodad on the uniform. But you've already been told that, so...it's sort of pointless to talk with you from here on out.

Unless he has all like-minded boys in his troop, he will be driving kids away with this attitude, not making better scouts.