Custom Additions to the Scout uniform?

Not sure where you would get the idea there is no standard. That is pretty much what the Uniform and Insignia Guide is all about I think. It is on line, so you do not have to have a hard copy.
That's just it, I am still under 18...and most of my scouts have the same mindset as I do.

So it is in fact being boy led, and for that reason we are the sharpest looking troop in the district.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Um no. Just no. There is enough "customization" going on, and frankly most of it looks ridiculous. Sounds like you're in the business and looking for marketing ideas.

My goodness.         Your Troop seems to be lax on teaching the Scout Oath and Law also. Perhaps you should have them implement a new award where they stop you once a month, and have

OK, guys, it's time to stop beating the poor kid.   Paracord, you obviously have a lot of enthusiasm. That's a great asset to any troop. That said, your idea of awards for being able to do things t

There's no need. As pointed out, there are "standards" for everything regarding the uniform. If your unit isn't enforcing them, adding more to the heap isn't going to change that.

Rank badges denote everything a scout knows; if you can't tell which knots a boy knows based on his rank, then you don't need a new more complicated system, you need to memorize the existing one. If the boys' ranks aren't indicative of their knowledge, then you need to stop rubber-stamp advancing them, not create a new system of bling.

As for hats, troop PLCs (not you) can pick their own hats and their own neckerchiefs. Troop PLCs can also decide which parts of the uniform to wear or not. That's all the customization you need.

Not sure where you would get the idea there is no standard. That is pretty much what the Uniform and Insignia Guide is all about I think. It is on line, so you do not have to have a hard copy.
Since it seems that you mean that you do not take Scouting, or at least BSA uniform standards, seriously at all, I have to wonder why you are a member of the organization.
I just looked at a Knot Ninja site and frankly found it ridiculous for older boys, right up there with still awarding beads for everything.
If a Scout is wearing a rank patch, you SHOULD EXPECT that he has completed all of the requirements to actually EARN that rank.

If the Scouts in your unit are not earning their ranks, then yes, that is very sad. However creating more awards (that very possibly will also not be properly earned) is not the solution.

ScoutNut, have you even read the Rules and Regs? I recommend that you do, and also take a look at the pukes who run the national level of this organization. I believe in teaching scouts life skills that will be valuable in the real world. Not to mention there is little to no enforcement of the uniform standards (To be honest there isn't much to enforce ;) ). I see scouts with long feathery hair down to their shoulder and wearing rainbow epaulets.

Now, I'd appreciate it if you would get this back on topic and stop derailing the OP, or don't post at all.

I just looked at a Knot Ninja site and frankly found it ridiculous for older boys, right up there with still awarding beads for everything.
Yes, that is correct, they HAVE completed all of the requirements to earn the rank at one time or another. However I have learned that very few scouts actually remember and practice those skills after they earn the rank.

Please, don't post responses that are not completely thought out. I found your comments to be very ignorant, and I believe your troop is very lucky to have a member with as much intelligence as yourself.. ;)

There's no need. As pointed out, there are "standards" for everything regarding the uniform. If your unit isn't enforcing them, adding more to the heap isn't going to change that.

Rank badges denote everything a scout knows; if you can't tell which knots a boy knows based on his rank, then you don't need a new more complicated system, you need to memorize the existing one. If the boys' ranks aren't indicative of their knowledge, then you need to stop rubber-stamp advancing them, not create a new system of bling.

As for hats, troop PLCs (not you) can pick their own hats and their own neckerchiefs. Troop PLCs can also decide which parts of the uniform to wear or not. That's all the customization you need.

I guess I wasn't clear enough in the OP, my apologies.

The reason that I started this thread was to see if anyone has any experience with things such as "Knot Ninja" and to see if it has turn out good or bad, and how they made/wear the award lanyard. I was also looking for ideas on hats, etc., to bring up with the troop leadership at our next meeting. As for the part about "rubber-stamping," you know as well as i do that most scouts do not remember or practice knots, and other outdoor skills on their own. I hope that you are not "blind" and understand what I am talking about :)

If they once knew, whatever, a bowline, and were signed off, but have since forgotten and now can't, so you want an extra identification system--paracord, beads, whatever--your line of reasoning doesn't stand: What keeps the same boy who earned First Class and forgot the bowline from earning your "ranger bead" for bowline, and then forgetting the bowline the same as any other First Class scout?

There. is. no. reason. whatsoever. to. implement. a. parallel. recognition. system.

If you have trouble with skill retention in your troop, you need to create opportunities for them to utilize the skills thereby keeping them fresh in the mind, not a parallel program. In point of fact, if the point is to use boys to teach other boys, the simple act of teaching will remedy the situation on its own.

If they once knew, whatever, a bowline, and were signed off, but have since forgotten and now can't, so you want an extra identification system--paracord, beads, whatever--your line of reasoning doesn't stand: What keeps the same boy who earned First Class and forgot the bowline from earning your "ranger bead" for bowline, and then forgetting the bowline the same as any other First Class scout?

There. is. no. reason. whatsoever. to. implement. a. parallel. recognition. system.

If you have trouble with skill retention in your troop, you need to create opportunities for them to utilize the skills thereby keeping them fresh in the mind, not a parallel program. In point of fact, if the point is to use boys to teach other boys, the simple act of teaching will remedy the situation on its own.

I guess you didn't read the whole knot ninja thing.

If they have got a certain knot rank, anyone can challenge them to tie the knots they are supposed to know. My interpretation of this is to test the scouts once a month to tie the knots up to their level, and if they fail to do so, they lose their knot rank(until they earn it again the following week.)

I think it is a better way to keep up with their knot tying ability, not the best but better than before. You may not like it, but everyone has their opinion.

I don't understand how you would like to enforce uniform standards? Kick out scouts and scouters who do not meet your standards? You understand that what you are proposing is a matter of taste and local culture and that not everyone agrees with your view of 'sharp'? I personally think that the uniform standard should be more relaxed and practical as befits an organization that focuses on outdoor pursuits.
The best way to ensure that scouts know the skills they used to earn their rank is to provide frequent opportunity to use those skills. Set up real challenges to use those knots and they will stick through scouting and beyond. A game is fun for a while but isn't a substitute for real-life application.

Does your troop/patrol have stringent behavior standards as well as uniform standards? Because what I see here is someone who is focused on appearances and not on character. Chiding your elders for not staying on topic on a message board that has no 'on topic standards' is disrespectful. Going off-topic is the primary mission of message boards the world over, we are all just polishing up our message board skills.

My goodness.

take a look at the pukes who run the national level of this organization

Please, don't post responses that are not completely thought out. I found your comments to be very ignorant, and I believe your troop is very lucky to have a member with as much intelligence as yourself.

I hope that you are not "blind" and understand what I am talking about

Your Troop seems to be lax on teaching the Scout Oath and Law also. Perhaps you should have them implement a new award where they stop you once a month, and have you prove you know what they are, what they mean, and that you actually do try to live by them. Unfortunately, from your comments here, you seem to be sorely lacking in the Courteous part, along with a few others.

Young man, being on an internet board, and feeling that you are "immune" to consequences, does NOT excuse the above behavior.

Especially on a Scout forum, from someone claiming to be an under 18, Boy Scout, and a leader in his Troop.

BTW - I HAVE read both - the Charter and Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America (pub 57-191), and the Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America (pub 57-492).

• Upvote 1
My goodness.

take a look at the pukes who run the national level of this organization

Please, don't post responses that are not completely thought out. I found your comments to be very ignorant, and I believe your troop is very lucky to have a member with as much intelligence as yourself.

I hope that you are not "blind" and understand what I am talking about

Your Troop seems to be lax on teaching the Scout Oath and Law also. Perhaps you should have them implement a new award where they stop you once a month, and have you prove you know what they are, what they mean, and that you actually do try to live by them. Unfortunately, from your comments here, you seem to be sorely lacking in the Courteous part, along with a few others.

Young man, being on an internet board, and feeling that you are "immune" to consequences, does NOT excuse the above behavior.

Especially on a Scout forum, from someone claiming to be an under 18, Boy Scout, and a leader in his Troop.

BTW - I HAVE read both - the Charter and Bylaws of the Boy Scouts of America (pub 57-191), and the Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America (pub 57-492).

ScoutNut, maybe this man's troop needs a knot awarded for Scout etiquette! After all, following his logic:

Yes, that is correct, they HAVE completed all of the requirements to earn the rank at one time or another. However I have learned that very few scouts actually remember and practice those skills after they earn the rank.

It appears wearing a rank badge in his troop does not guarantee that scouts "remember and practice" the "Scout Spirit" requirement.

Paracordman--Being a new member to the forum gets you some slack, but it doesn't excuse being a total jerk.

At summer camp, I asked this young scout why he had a cord around his arm, through the epaulets. He said that meant he didn't know his 6 knots yet, and he couldn't take it off until he knew his 6 knots. I kind of think that's not a good thing (verging on, if not outright hazing), but it would encourage the quick learning of knots.