FAITH has two meanings

Use Scoutlike invocations. There are some very neutral ones out there. 1. A SCOUT'S PRAYER

Lord, we thank you for this day.

Help us to do our best every day,

And forgive us when we slip.

Teach us to be kind to other people

and to help them at all times

Bless our parents and teachers and leaders

and all the members of Scouting

Bless us, Lord in your love for us

Help us to be a better Scouts

and let us do our best for you

Amen

5. A SCOUTER'S PRAYER

"Build me a Scout, O Lord, who will be strong enough to know when he is weak and brave enough to face himself when he is afraid; one who will be proud and unbending in honest defeat, and humble and gentle in victory...

Build me a Scout whose wishes will not take the place of deeds; a Scout who himself is the

foundation stone of knowledge...

Lead him, I pray, not in the path of ease and comfort, but under the stress and spur of difficulties and challenge. Here let him learn to stand up in the storm; here let him learn compassion for those who fail...

Build me a Scout whose heart will be clear, whose goals will be high. A Scout who will master himself before he seeks to master others, one who will march into the future, yet never forget the past...

And after all these things are his, add, I pray, enough of a sense of humor so that he may always be serious, yet never take himself too seriously. Give him humility, so that he may always remember the simplicity of true wisdom, and the meekness of true strength...

Then I, a Scouter who knew him, will dare to whisper, `I have not lived in vain.'"

Typical Christian form.

A Muslim, Jewish, or any other payer would be very different.

Muslim: "Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Universe,

the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful!

Master of the Day for Judgment!

You alone do we worship and You alone do we call on for help.

Guide us along the Straight Path,

The path of those whom You have favored,

Not the path of those who earned Your anger, nor of those who went astray. Amen."

Jewish: "Blessed are you, Lord, our God, sovereign of the universe

Who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us

to light the lights of Shabbat. (Amen) "

Wiccan: "Make me strong in spirit, courageous in action, gentle in heart.

Let me act in Wisdom, conquer my fear and doubts, discover my own hidden gifts.

Meet others with compassion, be a source of healing energies, and let each day be a source of hope and joy.

So mote it be."

Buddhist: "May each of us find our true path and learn from our karma and accept each other's evolutionary pathway and not feel, show, or express disapproval with the choices the other makes. May we feel compassion instead of hatred, love instead of anger, and an acceptance not only of others but of ourselves as well. May each of us do all of the above in a mindful way."

Every religion has it's own form for worship. All too often Christian think the are including others, but don't realize that what they are doing can be very offensive to others. I think many don't truly understand the difference between non-denominational and non-sectarian; or simply don't realize that other religions pray and worship very differently. Probably because they've never experienced anything other than the Christian faith.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

O Great Spirit whose voice I hear in the winds And whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me.   I come before you as one of your many children . I am small and weak. I need you

I would think you would want each boy to lead an invocation that would be acceptable to his own faith. That way, they can learn a little about the others culture. You should give the boys the right t

So poor old SM will get blindsided by the atheist cub scout.........He will join the troop and at some point between 12-14 he will decide to speak up at a really bad moment. Such as Summer camp during grace.....

See the thread regarding the supreme being........Not that I am a religious fanatic, but this might be the deal breaker for me........

So far, not experienced that one yet.....But I have had a 12 year old tell me he is gay, during the ban period.......

So a 12 year child thinks he is gay and you look the other way, but he says the word "atheist" and you toss him out on his smart ass ? He is freaking 12! tomorrow he will probably think he is a Vulcan.
I get confused reading your post because you are talking about Webelos and you keep using the word Troop. Webelos are not in a troop they are in a Pack. Secondly, all of your scouts may not be able to earn the Religous Emblem because their religion may not have one recognized by the BSA. Be very careful bringing up the word atheist in the BSA, some councils are very understanding and will work with a family to find some common ground, others will not. If questioned on the subject, and the response is not satisfactory membership in the BSA can be denied in some circumstances. Pastafarianism is a fun option for many, although there is no recognized Emblem. I am not an official member of The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster but have friends that are. It seems to satisfy both the BSA and many atheists and non-atheists.
KDD: Arrrgh you sure??? LOL

Random religious fact: during a public census in the United Kingdom so many people (tens of thousands) noted their religion as being "Jedi"

so that the British Goverment had no choice but to accept "Jedi" as an official religion.

Now all I need is a light saber :-)

I never understood the need for the BSA to have a declaration of religious principles. I mean, we don't have a declaration of patriotic principles which would refer to the same line in the Oath. Or a declaration of physical fitness. Do we kick out scouts or scouters for being obese or those who maintain dual citizenship or openly state their conscientious objection to govt actions and refuse to participate?

Shouldn't the only principles by which a scout declares be the oath and law themselves (perhaps also the Slogan)? Why have a special declaration highlighting religion above all other aspects of the oath and law?

Ok, several issues here...

First, congratulations on going to Wood Badge. I was the Troop Guide in 2011 for the Bobwhites! I am a Beaver...;)

So, what is this ticket item completely say. SMART.....How will you do this, when will it be completed, how will it be completed and why are you doing it?

I get the public school part. My Pack is one as well. We had Jewish, Catholic, Christian, Budhist and who knows whatelse. We did not do a lot of praying, but when it called for it, I said a quick prayer. The Webelos II Den did have a Den Meeting about what "Reverent & Faith is and means." Not a huge issue. Remember, the Scouts is based within the understanding that Religion is part of it. This isn't Public School time. It is Scout time. A Public School Teacher isn't leading the class in the Beatitudes.

You can get as simple as: The Philmont Grace For food, for raiment, for life, for opportunity, For friendship and fellowship, We thank thee, O Lord.

This would work for a Blue & Gold, which I actually did. Simple and generic.

For an opening during Scout Week in Febuary it could be a bit more. http://usscouts.org/reverent/prayers.asp has a good selection

When your on a Webelos overnight for Outdoorsman, you could work in a Scout's Own. Which, again is not based on one religion.

In the talk we had, each Webelos talked about what religion they are and how they practiced, if they went to church.

For the Scout who apparently MIGHT be an Atheist, we need to tread lightly here. It very well could be that he does not like Church and says he's an Atheist. So, does he believe in a higher power? It does not have to be GOD or an old guy in a beard.

Section 8 And do one of these (d OR e): (pasting this in, put 4 & 5 in. I cannot get them out. But they are D & E)

• Earn the religious emblem of your faith*
  • Do two of these:
    • Discuss with your family and Webelos den leader how your religious beliefs fit in with the Scout Oath and Scout Law, and what character-building traits your religious beliefs have in common with the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
    • List at least two ways you believe you have lived according to your religious beliefs.

I have also only listed the TWO that you could do without going to a place of worship. This is also easy to do in a Den Meeting. It's part of the program. Not everyone needs to or can earn a Religious emblem of their faith. For example, a Jewish family is non-practicing and does not go to synagogue. But, they are Jewish. The BSA has avenues for that Scout to be sucessful with the two items listed.

I have not been to church in years, because everytime I look into finding a church, it ends up not being what I want. Sermons are weird and aloof and they always ask for money and it's usually for their own buildings and stuff. Not into that. But, I still believe. God isn't in a house, he (or she) is everywhere.

So, really, this is pretty easy to have the Scout earn this section. It is also easy to spend time during the Outdoorsman to have this as a Scout's Own. I would explain that this is going to happen on the overnight so no one is caught off guard, but just do it.

As for the Committee. They need to understand that Scouting has religion in it. What are they afraid of? Are they not trained?

Yeah, the ideas to make a faith more lighter and just get an understanding of everyones faith, or how to run a proper interfaith prayer or program is the way to go..

The emblem thing is wrong in so many ways..

First - It is not only the atheist you need to be concerned with, but the boy/family who believe in something, but do not belong to any formal religious group.. That means no religious emblem for "I believe in something".. That would be ALOT of your scouts..

Second - as a troop guide, although I would be fine with a ticket of "to help our Scouts recognize the role that faith takes in Scouting". Which if that is how you worded it, that is smart, you can take that anywhere, and don't need 100% compliance by all the boys in your group.. Including using the different meaning for faith.. I would not have approved a ticket that had the boys in your den all earning their emblems.. For a lot of reasons.. First, as stated, not all boys can do it.. Second - It is a very personal, long and complicated journey.. though you can encourage it, you can't force it. The boy should have a personal desire to earn it, or it has about as much meaning a homework.. Third - A ticket should never be written where you depend on others to do something or you fail.. It should be something that you have control over at all times.. Something like get a group together, or increase adult leaders trained in my pack are one thing.. But it's another to write it that you will get all your adults 100% trained, or get all the boys to do something.. You can get a group even if it ends up a group of two out of what in your minds eye was 20 or more when writing the ticket, but you can't get everyone to comply, someone is bound to disappoint, and your ticket then rides on their actions and not your actions.

Don't lose sight of the fact that the religious emblems are NOT BSA awards. They are a program of the churches and should be presented in the church. The BSA has merely authorized the wearing of them on the uniform. When I was unit scouting, we never spend "Scout time" working on religion, per se. I believe it's a matter for the family and scout to deal with within their own church.

Yeah, the ideas to make a faith more lighter and just get an understanding of everyones faith, or how to run a proper interfaith prayer or program is the way to go..

The emblem thing is wrong in so many ways..

First - It is not only the atheist you need to be concerned with, but the boy/family who believe in something, but do not belong to any formal religious group.. That means no religious emblem for "I believe in something".. That would be ALOT of your scouts..

Second - as a troop guide, although I would be fine with a ticket of "to help our Scouts recognize the role that faith takes in Scouting". Which if that is how you worded it, that is smart, you can take that anywhere, and don't need 100% compliance by all the boys in your group.. Including using the different meaning for faith.. I would not have approved a ticket that had the boys in your den all earning their emblems.. For a lot of reasons.. First, as stated, not all boys can do it.. Second - It is a very personal, long and complicated journey.. though you can encourage it, you can't force it. The boy should have a personal desire to earn it, or it has about as much meaning a homework.. Third - A ticket should never be written where you depend on others to do something or you fail.. It should be something that you have control over at all times.. Something like get a group together, or increase adult leaders trained in my pack are one thing.. But it's another to write it that you will get all your adults 100% trained, or get all the boys to do something.. You can get a group even if it ends up a group of two out of what in your minds eye was 20 or more when writing the ticket, but you can't get everyone to comply, someone is bound to disappoint, and your ticket then rides on their actions and not your actions.

I think he is hung up on the boys recognizing a religion and getting the emblem rather than what his ticket goal is, that is helping the scouts understand the concept of faith and how that relates to the program. And that just takes some discussion, and doesn't have to be about one religion.

Einstein's paraphrase of Spinoza's pantheist "God is the sum total of all the natural laws in the universe" worked for all of eight of my self-declared atheist Scouts over the years, since it does not require belief in the supernatural.

According to one biographer, Baden-Powell and his theologian father (on whose book, "The Order of Nature," B-P based the spiritual aspect of Scouting) were pantheists.

See:

http://inquiry.net/ideals/beads.htm

and

http://inquiry.net/ideals/order_nature/pantheism.htm

As for a pantheistic invocation, how about:

"Heavenly Father, by definition all knees must bend to Thee, as Thou art the sum total of all the natural laws in the universe."

An emblem of faith is easy enough: One of those Baden-Powell portrait patches, worn on the temporary patch pocket.

If you can't find a Baden-Powell patch, simply substitute one of Bruce Tuckman, since nobody in Wood Badge can tell them apart.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

O Great Spirit whose voice I hear in the winds

And whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me.

I come before you as one of your many children . I am small and weak.

I need your strength and wisdom.

Let me walk in beauty. Make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.

Make my hands respect the things you have made

And my ears sharp to hear your voice.

Make me wise so I may learn the things you have taught my people,

the lessons you have hidden under every leaf and rock.

I seek strength, not to be superior to my brothers,

But to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself.

Make me ever ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes,

so when life fades like the fading sunset,

my spirit will come to you without shame.

=attributed to Chief Yellow Lark, Blackfoot =

• Downvote 2
So poor old SM will get blindsided by the atheist cub scout.........He will join the troop and at some point between 12-14 he will decide to speak up at a really bad moment. Such as Summer camp during grace.....

See the thread regarding the supreme being........Not that I am a religious fanatic, but this might be the deal breaker for me........

So far, not experienced that one yet.....But I have had a 12 year old tell me he is gay, during the ban period.......

Depends on the lad....Just a with the Gay fellow.....

the scout in question would say things for shock value......

Mr B I am gay......Well exactly what is that.....He fumbled with what he thought it might be. But honestly had no clue......

A lad who says I am an atheist and fumbled exactly what it was would get the same treatment.

O Great Spirit whose voice I hear in the winds

And whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me.

I come before you as one of your many children . I am small and weak.

I need your strength and wisdom.

Let me walk in beauty. Make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.

Make my hands respect the things you have made

And my ears sharp to hear your voice.

Make me wise so I may learn the things you have taught my people,

the lessons you have hidden under every leaf and rock.

I seek strength, not to be superior to my brothers,

But to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself.

Make me ever ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes,

so when life fades like the fading sunset,

my spirit will come to you without shame.

=attributed to Chief Yellow Lark, Blackfoot =

This is magnificent; thanks for sharing.

Instead of "Faith has two meanings" maybe you should approach it from the perspective of "Many meanings have Faith."

I thought about this today after adding a new word to my lexicon. The word was "Catamount" and I had never come across it before. I was reading a book set in Appalachia which included a passage about a fearsome catamount who was terrorizing the families in the glen. The description and choice of words evoked an emotion (fear.) Not being familiar with the word or Appalachia I thought it might be a dangerous mythical creature not unlike the Lock Ness Monster or Big Foot. I looked up the word and discovered that a catamount is also known as: Puma, Cougar, Mountain Lion, and Panther. Armed with information I returned to the book with understanding, no longer confused with a fear of the unknown.

The same is true for religion. A lot of people engage in knee-jerk reactions because they are uneducated. I'm on the "bad list" of a good portion of the community because I'm not Christian. I hear a lot about "those atheist," "those Muslims," or "those who are into the Occult." If people took the time to understand each other they would know that "those atheist" actually posses a moral compass and "those Muslims" worship the same God as you Christians, or that those "weirdos into the occult" really just worship nature.

Good Luck. (And you might want to pick up a copy of Being a United Methodist in the Bible Belt and read it before you begin; it has good information on how to counter denominational infighting.)