Webelos & Canoeing

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cub Scouts Assaulted on Canoe Trip; BSA Denies Coverage A recent canoe trip has left several young boys injured and the Boy Scouts of America denying any liability for the incident.   Accordi

Yeah, we sorta ignored that whole no-canoeing guideline thing when my son was a cub... Remember that the "G" in G2SS stands for Guide...
It was a den outing that we just ran off the grid. The same way we took the Webelos to play lazer tag, and the same way we take our troop to play paintball. I'm sure that will make many heads explode here.
With an adult on board, show that you know how to handle a rowboat. Hey BD, Notice is doesn't say anything about the rowboat actually being on water. :) Have a nice weekend.
Laughing at you KDD

Thinking like that is why your camp program and unit programs......stinking in a gut wrenching manner.

You keep lawyering the rule and hopefully your pack or troop won't wind up on the evening news.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss02.aspx#i is the current version of safety afloat which covers this situation as well as other aquatics activities. Please note that finishing this during a council / district run event on flat not flowing water is the way to do this as an offiical scouting activity. There are not den or unit aquatics in cub scouts. I'd like to point out to those on the list that are taking a less than conservative approach to this that the thought of loosing a house is notthing to the thought of loosing a kid or participant. Please contact your councils aquatics committee for local guideance and assistance in having this young man achieve the Aquanaut.
So Richard, Old brews unit has violated the policy..........

so exactly what would have happened if they drowned someone.....

Or if a lad gets some teeth knocked out playing lazer tag......

Or an eye put out paint balling??????

Would the BSA wash their hands of it and the unit leads would be on their own?????

A number of years back when I was a Webelos II leader, I took my boys on a canoe trip out to an island where they primitive camped for the weekend. They dug their own latrines, cooked on open fires and had a blast. So how does that violate G2SS? Each canoe had one boy and their father in it. Everyone had life jackets and everything went well until the thunderstorm hit in the night and basically flattened everyone's tent, soaking everything down to the skin.

To this day, those boys, as adults, still say it was the best outing they were ever on.

Sometimes adventures really are adventures.

Stosh

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss02.aspx#i is the current version of safety afloat which covers this situation as well as other aquatics activities. Please note that finishing this during a council / district run event on flat not flowing water is the way to do this as an offiical scouting activity. There are not den or unit aquatics in cub scouts. I'd like to point out to those on the list that are taking a less than conservative approach to this that the thought of loosing a house is notthing to the thought of loosing a kid or participant. Please contact your councils aquatics committee for local guideance and assistance in having this young man achieve the Aquanaut.
"Hey mom and dad, the local nature center has a program where we can go canoeing for a small fee. The only issue is it can't be a scout outing because the scouts can't officially go canoeing at this age so there's no coverage for BSA liability." It doesn't go on the calendar, or the unit website, or whatever.

Ditto for paintball...lazer tag...I forgot about trap shooting we've done as well (with actual guns and everything!)...or any manner of activities where, just like in every other area of your life, people who know each other get together...the kids from your son's football team...church group...birthday parties....etc etc etc etc etc

Don't over-complicate it....if you spend your life fearing lawyers you'll never do anything fun.

A number of years back when I was a Webelos II leader, I took my boys on a canoe trip out to an island where they primitive camped for the weekend. They dug their own latrines, cooked on open fires and had a blast. So how does that violate G2SS? Each canoe had one boy and their father in it. Everyone had life jackets and everything went well until the thunderstorm hit in the night and basically flattened everyone's tent, soaking everything down to the skin.

To this day, those boys, as adults, still say it was the best outing they were ever on.

Stosh

Danger, Will Robinson! Violator! Violator!

On one hand we have people in these forums complaining that scouting sucks and everything is to prissy. On the other hand everybody is afraid to leave the school gymnasium because the G2SS doesn't say they can. I prefer your approach. Just do what the boys want to do and keep everything above board with the parents.

We did den camping all the time when my son was a Cub, starting at the (GASP!) Wolf level. That's not following the guidelines either....

So brew your spinning tails then......So did ya put paintball and lazer tag on the troop calendar?????? and canoeing on the packs????

Or was it just a bunch of Friends getting together outside of scouting??????

Oh my guys still paintball and lazer tag....We even go and shoot other rounds than 22.......

My sons friends are his patrol mates.....So we go and do things out of scouting as well as in.

With an adult on board, show that you know how to handle a rowboat. Hey BD, Notice is doesn't say anything about the rowboat actually being on water. :) Have a nice weekend.
Ya know I can see your candy ass, unloading a borrowed row boat into the CO's front lawn and running the webelos thru the motions, complete with life jacket. So will the other boys be allowed to rock it to simulate waves?????

May pass muster in your book, but the boys will quit out of boredom.

I live in an area of Phoenix that gets flood irrigation to water my pasture for the horse. when I take my allotment of water, I get about 6-8 inches of water. Plenty to float the flat bottomed john boat with a couple of webelos in it. actually it will float my canoe in some areas as well.

yes, here in the desert, my sons got to learn to paddle a boat in the backyard..... ;)

Stosh

See, you Mr. Brew are a rabble rouser and trouble maker of the first degree. Always with your common sense and have fun ideas. Well, it's all fun and games until somebody gets an eye put out! :) When we want to go race go-carts or play laser tag we do it with the church youth group.....
Yeah, we sorta ignored that whole no-canoeing guideline thing when my son was a cub... Remember that the "G" in G2SS stands for Guide...
Brew, I wanted to start a whole thread on the subject of who follows the rules 24-7 and who sometimes crosses their fingers and takes their chances, but I figured somebody would really get their knickers in a twist about that.
We've done different things on different outings.

You know, base, sometimes I wonder if you're even actually in scouting or just like to hang out here to create arguments and insult people. I mean, on one hand you literally called KDD a "candy a**," direct quote, which is hardly scoutlike. And now you're getting all over my a** for not being one.

I just get this vision of a "basementdweller" who is in his basement in his jammies furiously typing on his computer on multiple forums, because you sure seem to have ample time to spend online versus being out in the woods (or the 'hood).