Ideas for Pack Committee meetings when Parents can't go to meetings..

Your assuming that everyone has a decent enough internet connection and the associated hardware to make this work.

I attend alot of online meetings for work......Now it is tough enough at work.......Imagine the big game is on, diner is cooking, kids running in and out, phone ringing......Well ya get my point.

Far as a free solution I think google hangout may work, but I have not tried it with more than my two kids and wife. http://www.google.com/hangouts/

[h=4]One touch to see the whole family[/h] With one touch, you can start a video call with one friend or a whole bunch. Video calls ring everywhere your friends have Hangouts. Whether they’re on their computer, phone or tablet, they’ll know you’re calling. If they’re not around or can’t pick up, Hangouts will let them know you were trying to reach them.

But you really have to ask your self if the parents aren't buying in then is it worth saving?????

Q while the venture idea is great and probably would work.......Does it solve the problem???? The problem will continue to move with the group as they get older.

BD it does not solve the problem, and is only a stop-gap. Mainly because because it is rare that venturing crews have a stable enough membership to be able to offer leadership year after year. So, the venturer you find today (if you find one) may not be able to find you his/her replacement in a year or two.

We have not built a culture where the purpose of den leader is to "qualify to lead a den of cub scouts" on age-appropriate adventure. And we don't have the position of "senior den leader" where a young man or woman could replace the cubmaster. I'm not entirely sure we should. Comparing notes with my Czech friends, they wish for more senior adults in their program.

We're a small pack. Our committee meeting falls on the same day/time as our regular meetings. We meet at the same location. We have board games and movies and popcorn/kool-aid for the 6 or so kids that come with their parents. Some of the kids bring their ipads and gameboys. We don't have much of a problem.

I've seen committee meetings held monthly at a parent's house, with only that parent and one other leader. I've tried doing them the half hour before, and also the half hour after a Pack meeting. It really makes no difference in attendance unless you have committed/involved parents, and something worthwhile to talk about.

Make your meetings more kid friendly and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, well then these parents just don't want to be involved and are giving you excuses.

The playground idea someone mentioned is a good idea. Or a food place with a play area (like McDonalds).

We're a small pack. Our committee meeting falls on the same day/time as our regular meetings. We meet at the same location. We have board games and movies and popcorn/kool-aid for the 6 or so kids that come with their parents. Some of the kids bring their ipads and gameboys. We don't have much of a problem.
Let me add, we do 2 den meetings, 1 pack meeting, 1 committee meeting a month. 5th Mondays are den meetings.

I have never been a commissioner, but if a unit is on the absolute brink of oblivion like the situation described by Moosetracker, isn't it time for the UC to get a "higher up" involved before "giving up"? I don't know whether that would be an ADC, the DC or maybe the DE. Whichever it is, this reminds from a scene in MASH where Henry Blake says something like, "That was the first thing they taught me at command school: Blake, they said, never surrender without orders."

Option 3 - Have less committee meetings.

We have an active pack with over 50 boys. We have one pack planning meeting in August to plan out the entire calendar for the year (meeting dates, major events, who's responsible for which meeting, duties, etc.) Any changes or additions to the calendar throughout the year are all handled through emails. I think you can have a very successful pack and program without the monthly committee meetings. Your parents will thank you for it.