Question about new Cooking MB requirement for Eagle

Had a discussion with two of my Life Scouts (one that has finished his project and MBs, and the other that is working on his project). Basically, to spur them to get everything together before January 1, 2014, I told them that if they didn't have all their requirements (except EBOR) finished before January 1, that they would have to get the Cooking MB. The mother of one claims that she was told that since her son has been Life since 2010, he doesn't have this requirement. I think she's wrong--that there is no grandfathering for this requirement, but is there an official advancement source that says it? I've read unofficial things that say that, but nothing official. The boy is just 16, so if he has plenty of time to get the MB if needed.

You could appeal to her son's more noble character and point out that it's a great badge to have ....

Or just have her dicker with the good folks at Scouting Magazine:

• What about Scouts who started working on Eagle before 2014?
    • Regardless of when a Scout earned the Life rank or began working on Eagle, unless he fulfills all the requirementsâ€â€with the exception of his board of reviewâ€â€before Jan. 1, 2014, he must earn the Cooking merit badge to become an Eagle Scout.

Momma doesn't want her boy to cook. Can't find anything in GTA that address the Cooking MB specifically, just the general policy that the BSA can change the rules and do whatever they want, whenever they want to. "Sometimes, however especially for more significant changesâ€â€the Scout Handbook, the Boy Scout Requirements book, or official communications from the National Council may set forth a different procedure that must be used and may establish a date by when use of the old requirements must cease."

peridochas, it is explained on the inside cover of the 2013 Boy Scout Requirements Book:

"Starting Jan. 1, 2014, Cooking merit badge will Be Required for Eagle

Effective Jan. 1, 2014, the Cooking merit badge will be required to obtain the Eagle Scout rank. Regardless of when a Scout earned the Life rank or began working toward Eagle, unless he fulfills all the rank requirements--with the exception of his board of review--before Jan. 1, 2014, he must earn the Cooking merit badge to become an Eagle Scout."

Thanks, koolaidman,

I hope this boy finishes in time so that this doesn't become a requirement for him. I want him to leave the troop. To me, he's a bad influence on the other boys. He has Scout habits from the two other troops he was in prior to ours. He's also a shirker and figures out ways to dodge doing anything useful.

Here is the way our District Advancement Chair sees the issue:

Here's the official position:

Starting Jan. 1, 2014, Cooking Merit Badge to Be Required for Eagle.

Effective Jan. 1, 2014, the Cooking merit badge will be required to obtain the Eagle Scout rank. Regardless of when a Scout earned the Life rank or began working toward Eagle, unless he fulfills all the rank requirementsâ€â€with the exception of his board of reviewâ€â€before Jan. 1, 2014, he must earn the Cooking merit badge to become an Eagle Scout.

As I interpret this then, if the Eagle rank was earned prior to 1/1/14, they've earned Eagle. Period. They do not need to then fulfill some requirement that was added afterwards.

If they've earned the Cooking MB already, all good.

If not, the requirements might change a little (although I have not seen it on the list to be revised) for those currently working on it, however, once a scout begins work on an MB, they can continue using the same requirements as when they started for that badge until its completion.

Thanks, koolaidman,

I hope this boy finishes in time so that this doesn't become a requirement for him. I want him to leave the troop. To me, he's a bad influence on the other boys. He has Scout habits from the two other troops he was in prior to ours. He's also a shirker and figures out ways to dodge doing anything useful.

That's the kinda lad I want to earn eagle.
Thanks, koolaidman,

On paper and in front of his parents, the boy is great. He's been to NYLT and NAYLE in Philmont I believe he's helped teach NYLT , he's in the OA, he worked at Philmont this summer with an OA work crew, etc. He's got about 60 merit badges. However, he has his mom fooled, and has managed to fool enough leaders in the past (our previous SM was good friends with his family). We are his third troop. He got Life in his second troop. It may just be my standards of scoutlike behavior are higher than other people's standards. Or it may be that I don't objectively see his good points because I dislike him (one of two in our troop of 30 or so that I don't genuinely like and enjoy being around). I do clearly see his flaws. Other leaders may not see that.