Trail Life confused over who they are?????

I am King of the Forest....

I am a Scoutmaster of a troop of 30 young men. We camp as a troop monthly, our patrols have monthly patrol outings. We participate in community service and are working on being Boy led. the patrols have a very strong patrol identity and I couldn't happier.

Very Little national says actually impacts the youth in my program......We have, I suspect, gay youth as members already. We have gay scouters. we have muslims, jews, catholics atheist and all variety of protestants.

I jump thru the training hoops, I jump thru the paper work hoops, I jump thru the rules hoops.......But ya know the boys never see it and probably could care less.

Because I understand that scouting isn't about me.

But that isn't what you said before; you said:

He said he was an atheist....but has no clue what it is......The second he very clearly articulates what it is and still professes he is.....he will be asked to leave.

The Catholic equivalent would be if a scout clearly articulated what being Catholic entails and still professes that he's Catholic. Is that enough to get kicked out?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I honestly think at this point the gay issue was an excuse for some people to get out of the BSA and start their own organization. I only know of one Scout who is going to be joining this new organiza

I suppose the real question is why does anybody here care? The vote was taken, the folks at OMH followed through on their promise to leave and start a new organization. People look to be going with

Huzzar, I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that the name of your local Catholic youth basketball team is probably either something like St. Mary's (for example) Basketball Team or the CYO (

It is highly likely that most youth under 14 or so really do not have a clue about what they really are. They go with what their parents tell them, or what they see as the cool thing to be, or something to that effect. Yes, a few may have actually began to postulate their eventual "adult" belief structure; but for the most part, they are not yet really very rational about it.

I am a Scoutmaster of a troop of 30 young men. We camp as a troop monthly, our patrols have monthly patrol outings. We participate in community service and are working on being Boy led. the patrols have a very strong patrol identity and I couldn't happier.

Very Little national says actually impacts the youth in my program......We have, I suspect, gay youth as members already. We have gay scouters. we have muslims, jews, catholics atheist and all variety of protestants.

I jump thru the training hoops, I jump thru the paper work hoops, I jump thru the rules hoops.......But ya know the boys never see it and probably could care less.

Done arguing with you merlyn.

It is about respect........Everyone can play in the sand box as long as they are respectful of each other.

• Upvote 1

Even the cat?

As long as the cat can be respectful of others and not poop in it.. Why not?

I was wondering about that Scouter99.. If the BSA group is mainly of the boys whose families are members of the church, their parents may have enough "buy in" to this change, but if the youth are not members of the church, the parents and boys may not have the same attitude toward it, and will move to units still running the BSA program.

"No pooping in the sandbox." That would be a great bumper sticker or t-shirt. :p
When there is more revealed about TLUSA's actual program and organizational structure , it might be interesting to have a topic where there is some comparisons made between their operation and the ours in BSA. There may be some good ideas floating around in a new and forming group that we could borrow and modify to make our program better.

Hopefully if that more positive and constructive topic is introduced it will not get deleted by a moderator or the site owner. Yeah, I know this topic that survived the purge about TL being "confused" about who they are makes it easy to take shots at them and makes us real Scouters feel so much better about ourselves. I do think a more objective study of the nuts and bolts of a potential competitor could be more constructive and helpful to us as we do our jobs of serving youth.

WAKWIB: Why don't you just repost your topic? Now I'm curious as to what it is. Tthe website is still a bit glitchy and many times my topic fails to appear when I hit the Post button so what I do when I have a long post, I write it in Notepad then cut/paste it into Scouter.com.
I was wondering about that Scouter99.. If the BSA group is mainly of the boys whose families are members of the church, their parents may have enough "buy in" to this change, but if the youth are not members of the church, the parents and boys may not have the same attitude toward it, and will move to units still running the BSA program.
Excellent point guys. I can't recall any discussion of boy buy in here. I suspect it is going to have to start with the k-3 levels and grow from there. They aren't going to have the funds for some big national marketing campaign to create demand among the 6-12 grades.
Welp, a church down the road is killing its charter and forming a TL group. Guess how many of the boys are interested . . . if you said "0" claim your prize.
ON the TL forums there are a number of adults saying their entire unit is changing over to TL.....I was wondering how the boys feel about it.

Good to hear, sad to lose a BSA unit.

So 99 how many refugees have you picked up??????

I am competing with ROTC in our high school, they get privileges in the high school, shoot 223 have real authority over those below them.....Can discipline those under them.....My spl was impressed with being forced to do pushups as punishment.....Attend a boot camp style summer camp.....

Just about to lose my SPL to them.....At least it isn't football again.

Troop t-shirt ?
When there is more revealed about TLUSA's actual program and organizational structure , it might be interesting to have a topic where there is some comparisons made between their operation and the ours in BSA. There may be some good ideas floating around in a new and forming group that we could borrow and modify to make our program better.

Hopefully if that more positive and constructive topic is introduced it will not get deleted by a moderator or the site owner. Yeah, I know this topic that survived the purge about TL being "confused" about who they are makes it easy to take shots at them and makes us real Scouters feel so much better about ourselves. I do think a more objective study of the nuts and bolts of a potential competitor could be more constructive and helpful to us as we do our jobs of serving youth.

The topic is old news now. I posted a link to TL's website on the weekend of their convention, to their press release. It was up for a couple of days and had some comments. It vanished. Repeated the process and it was up for less than a day, I think, and disappeared.