What was/is the highest rank you have achieved...

OK, I tried.

NeilLup, while it may not be agreeable to some others, OGE (or anyone in the forum for that matter) is free to question anything they want within the rules of decorum. Everyone else is free to consider or to ignore them (as happens frequently to me). No big deal.

That said, you are also free to voice your objections. Have at it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a lifetime member of Girl Scouts. I have my Silver Award, but never finished my Gold...something I regret, but I cant do anything about it now.

As a Venturer, I am working on my Bronze...it's sooo close I can taste it.

As an "adult" (so strange, because I am still a youth Venturer..at at times I am actually frightened at being a responsible adult) I am a Girl Scout leader, an ASM for my Boy Scout troop, a graduate of National Camping School in the Scoutcraft area, a trained LNT instructor and a merit badge counselor for nine merit badges.

I was going to send this message privately to OutdoorThinker, but since someone said it's good to praise in public, I shall do so now.

She said: "As an "adult" (so strange, because I am still a youth Venturer..at at times I am actually frightened at being a responsible adult) I am a Girl Scout leader, an ASM for my Boy Scout troop, a graduate of National Camping School in the Scoutcraft area, a trained LNT instructor and a merit badge counselor for nine merit badges. "

I am deeply impressed. I've been impressed with you OT all along, but I like your attitude.

It's okay to be a little frightened at being a responsible adult. Truth be told, I think we all are from time to time, but that's okay. I worry about the young adults who charge ahead without caution because of a birthday -- whether they're ready or not.

Someone who plunges into adulthood without fear is not brave ... they are foolish.

Those who accept responsibility and face a little fear are truly brave, and wise.

Welcome to the world.

DS

Was never a Scout when I was a kid. Too involved in sports.

I got involved as an adult when my son joined Cubs. I was a Cubmaster, Webelos Den Leader, Assistant Scoutmaster, Committee Chairman, Scoutmaster, Merit Badge Counselor.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

A few responses wrapped in one post:

Neil, I agree 100% with your sentiment that we should not interfere with the operation of another's Troop / Crew from the comfortable confines of an internet forum. However, OGE's response, when taken in the context of how he says almost everything, is easy to understand as helpful insight, not critisism. Perhaps if he had added the line "You should talk to you Advisor", or something along those lines, it may have been more complete. But I think OGE did a great service to both SPLT15 and to other youth who might have stumbled upon us. Without the ability to ask questions or point out issues, this forum has little value. Although some might say it has little value anyway, I disagree. I think SPLT15, Hopscout, and other great young people get great value from the insights of people like OGE. I know I do!

SPLT15 - Reagardless of where you actually stand on your efforts, you should be commended. Even the go getter type kids I am fortunate to know can't hold a candle to the traits you are exhibiting by making the effort to do these things. You keep it up. But remember, the real value from your efforts is what you'll learn and experience, not the award or medal when you're done. Don't take shortcuts. Not because if you do you will have cheated the system, but because if you do you will have cheated you. You sound like a tremendous young man!

OutdoorThinker -

What an advantage you have over many of your peers. You recognize the limitations that youth places on young adults. You are doing plenty to overcome those limitations, and those efforts will have a profound and lasting effect on you, those who know you, and your world, sooner than you might think. You should be proud of yourself.

There comes a time in any endevour when a person knows just enough about something to truly be dangerous. This is the phenomonon that makes young people unsafe drivers, that makes kids think they know more than their parents and their teachers, etc. You seem to have the advantage of getting though that stage quickly in your life. You are very fortunate.

To all - I want to thank each of you for what you have given me in the almost two years I have visited this forum. I have learned so much. And not just about Scouts. But about people, myself, and how I view the world. THANK YOU!

Mark

Lion

Eagle - 4 Silvers, 1 Gold Palm

Currently - C.O.P.E., Climbing Director, Venture Crew Advisor, White Water Canoeing Instructor

With Vetern's Day on the morrow....

Bronze Star with V (valor)

2 Purple Hearts

Criox de Guirre

Air Medal (7, 3 with V's)

Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry

Combat Action

Navy Expeditionary

Armed Forces Expeditionary

PUC

MUC

NUC

Vietnamese Campaign with USMC emblem

and a few others....

All hail to Le Voyageur and others of his kind!

Thank you for your service. I admire you very much and my appreciation is too little, too late, but very heart-felt.

Thank you.

I have some phone calls to make. It seems to make the veterans feel good when someone calls to thank them.

Without you, and your service I can not imagine what this country would be like.

Please let me know if there is some service I may provide for you in any way.

Dave

Webelos. Never a Boy Scout, but was an Explorer and served as a national youth chairman. Received the Explorer Achievement Award.

Wood Badge Staff, Vice-Chancellor of University of Scouting, Troop Committee member and outgoing district training chairman.

• 1 year later...

Arrow of Light, Eagle, Brotherhood

Scouts: PL, APL, Librarian, Webmaster, Instructor

OA: Vice-chief/Committee Chair of Camping Promotions, Committee Chair of OA Troop Represenatives, Elangomat

Exploring, LFL: Nothin' much

Camp Staff: Admin, Rifle, Kitchen

Adult: ASM with two troops

Registered with a Crew via camp staff, but never done anything with it. I want to, but there are no units close to where I go to school.

I'm 18