What was/is the highest rank you have achieved...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagle Scout '99, God and Life '99, Outdoor Bronze Award '00, Venturing Silver Award '02, Ranger Award '02, Silver William T. Hornaday Award '02, Young American Award '03

OA Brotherhood '03

I was in Cub Scouts for two whole meetings and quit after I found out we didn't do any camping. Biggest mistake I have ever made in Scouting.

As a Scout: patrol leader, quartermaster, den chief, JASM

As a Venturer: Crew Vice President - Administration

Adult: Assistant Scoutmaster, Crew Associate Advisor, Council JLT Associate Course Director (we call ours Buckskin)

I currently serve as District Venturing Chairman, Unit Commissioner, and Council VOA Associate Advisor. I've been recently asked to serve as Assistant District Commissioner - Venturing in January.

Senior_Patrol_Leader_T15,

Congrads on your achievements. It's good that you're using the knowledge you've learned from your merit badges, however, the merit badges do not count for the requirements for Ranger or any other Venturing Award. Remember, all the of the awards say "As a Venturer..." The requirements are also different from those in the Merit Badges, and in my opinion, I feel the Venturing requirements are harder. Nothing in BSA says you can't use something for another as long as you work within the quidelines of the requirement. So if you're doing Wilderness Survival Merit Badge, why not work a little bit more and complete the Wilderness Survival core requirement for Ranger?

Also, when you do your conservation project for Ranger, fill out the application for the William T. Hornaday Badge since it follows the same requirements. Just make sure you complete the required merit badges for the Hornaday badge. Your conservation project should be the size of an Eagle Project, so if you haven't started an Eagle Project yet, your conservation project can also be used. With one conservation project and a handful of merit badges, you can use it to earn all three awards. Before your start though, just check with your district advancement chairperson if it's ok with him/her.

However, all of the Venturing Awards must be earn while being registered in a Venturing Crew. Being in a Venture Patrol does not count, because you are in a Boy Scout Troop. It's ok (and I recommend) to be registered in a Troop and Crew while working on awards for both programs.

If you find time in your busy schedule, try to start on the Quest Sport Award for Venturing (it's equivalent to Ranger and it requires you to have earned the Sports Bronze Award). It's really cool and if I could earn the award now, I'd work on it... but now I'm too old.

Thanks for congrats, also I just got bored last night and i thouroughly read the Venturing handbook, this what it said.

Pg. 4

"You may receive multiple credit for requirements....the only time you cannot use the multiple credit is when you are required to do a tabletop presentation"

also on Pg. 4

"All core requirements and elective require you to do work as a Venturer."

So, when I'm doing my merit badges, if their are some of the same requirments, i can dually use them instead of doing them twice.

Also, I if two or more requiremnts have the same requriments, I can use it for both of them. Therefore, I can use the requirments to earn other awards such as the Hornaday badge. Also, if my Eagle Scout project follows the Conservation requirements part (a), I can use it for my Eagle Project and my Conservation Project.

Also, what does it mean by a standard First Aid course, I've takin a First Aid class and earned my First Aid merit badge, I dont know if this counts.

After my Eagle stuff is done I'll focus more closly on the Ranger.

Besides, with being active in 4-H, FFA, Beta, High School Quiz Bowl, Rallies, Class Officers, Boy Scouts, Ventuering, and soon ICP, I can only handle one major award at a time!

SPL T-15,

When the requirements say that they must be done as a Venturing scout they mean that work done prior to joining Venturing cannot be used. Any work you do as a registered member of both a troop and crew can be used for both IF the work meets the requirements of both. Any work done as just a registered Venturing scout can be used toward advancemnt in both programs IF at the time you joined Venturing you had achieved at minimum the rank of First Class at some time in a Boy Scout troop.

Bob White

Cub Scout - Bear Our 12 den Pack went defunct then because it had a waiting list. The pastor of our parish supposedly said that if everybody who wanted to be a Cub Scout could not, then nobody would be a Cub Scout. I always wondered if we were getting the full story.

Boy Scout - Eagle with one Silver Palm. It was a bit tougher then because the tenure requirement was six months for each palm.

Current Scouting Job - Vice President for Operations for my Council -- plus a couple of other things

To my adult colleagues:

It is very appropriate for us to provide guidance to and even comment on and criticize the actions or opinions of each other.

However, concerning our 15 year old Venturer colleague, may I suggest that his Crew Advisors, district and council personnel are the appropriate persons to give him guidance on what is and what is not proper advancement procedure. We do not have all the facts and for us to suggest or even hint on an internet message board to a youth that his advancement has not been properly earned is, in my opinion, not appropriate for us as responsible adults to do. We perhaps can suggest that he review the matter with his Crew Advisors but, I believe, no more than that.

The program exists for youth and each of us has responsibility for seeing that the interests of each and every youth are protected. Even on an internet message board.

Sorry Neil, when someone tells me he is 14 and is thinking of joining a crew and the newly forming crew is trying to decide if they should allow girls in and then within weeks tells the forum he has earned the Bronze award and is very close to the Ranger award, all while he is 14, then I will quesiton it and I think others should too. I like SPL 15, he has a lot of "spunk", I am curious about his troop and crew.

I know what the youth in my District do to get Bronze and we havent had a 14 year old awardee yet. He could be the exception.

SPL 15, party on!!!

Hello OGE,

Feel free to question it to yourself. Feel free, if it were in your District or your Unit, to question the adults in the Crew and Troop. Feel free to suggest to the youth that he discuss the matter with his Crew Advisor.

But, in my opinion, it is improper for an adult Scouter to question a Scout or Venturer or suggest improper advancement using the impersonal mechanism of a message board when that youth's adult leaders are not present and/or participating. It is the adults in his unit who are empowered by their chartered organization and chartered by the BSA to carry out the Scouting program in THEIR UNIT. It is not the responsibility of any of us. We risk interfering with their unit and I am sure that none of us would appreciate anonymous questioning of the youth in our units.

I debated whether or not this should be a private message or not, but here goes.

I am not about to launch any type of investigation of any unit talked about on this forum. I like SPL_15 and having seen his posts, I think he is a remarkable young man.

I do also think about everyone who reads this forums and when I see things that dont add up I will quesiton it. Not to embarrass anyone, but to let those reading it what the rules are.