Using ends of 2 x 4s (or 6) for craftsman

For frames, look at door casing and other trim. Even 1x2 furring strips. Use a plastic miter box and back saw (lowes had a saw and box kit for under $10). The 1x2 is like a dollar for an 8 foot piece.
I looked into making frames from trim. It was really expensive- unless I did my calculations incorrectly.

I think someone mentioned recycling my son's unfinished wood projects. I think that may work- I believe we have enough wood from what was supposed to be a tool box for each boy to make a set of tangrams. I like tangrams because we could talk about the history and the boys could make the different shapes out of their set.

For frames, look at door casing and other trim. Even 1x2 furring strips. Use a plastic miter box and back saw (lowes had a saw and box kit for under $10). The 1x2 is like a dollar for an 8 foot piece.
Look at these. http://www.lowes.com/pd_4512-99899-7157_0__?productId=3504452&Ntt=furring+strips+and+strapping&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dfurring%2Bstrips%2Band%2Bstrapping&facetInfo=

If link doesn't work, try searching Lowes.com for furring strips

Furring strip frames will be easier as no curves to line up perfectly as you have in molding.
One idea is rubber band shooter. Glue a clothespin on. Do you have den dues ? The dens don't get any pack money for projects in my pack either. We just come up with a cost per scout for a project and the parents pony up. We made squirrel release boxes for the dept of conservation. Cost for cedar boards and screws was about $15 per scout.
Elmers Wood glue should hold it, not the school craft glue. Gorilla glue is good also, but a bit more expensive. If you have clamps to hold it on for 24 hours that will help also.