Uniforms For Committee

I am the fund raising committee member for our Troop and usually attend all meetings. Because I was a cub leader I have a kahki shirt in the closet. I am reluctant to wear it because I don't want to be confused with the ASMs. What are your feelings about Committee Members wearing a uniform to Troop meetings?

By all means wear the uniform. Afterall, you are a registered adult volunteer leader and need to set the example like any other leader. I am a pack committee chairman and unfortunately me and our Cub Master are the only adults who wear a full uniform. We have the problem that many packs have with the "it's only Cubs" attitude. I would urge y ou to wear the uniform....the complete uniform.

From a JASM:

Wear the uniform. If scouts SEE ANYONE come to meetingS without wearing the uniform they will feel that they don't need to. In the past we had a Committee Member who went from being a ASM to being on the Committee and she continued to show up to all the meetings wearing the uniform and no one got confused.

However, I will say this. In our troop it is rare for Committee Members to come to meetings. They usually put the 3 hours into the once a month meeting and take care of any responsiblities which come from that and stay away the other three meetings.

So congrats to you for wanting to be involved with your troop.

I wear a Troop Committee uniform and help at troop meetings too. It is just as valid (and 100% complete) as any ASM's and there is always help needed at troop meetings, so don't worry about what people "may misunderstand." That is why we have all the different position patches for! I also have a District Committee uniform for those functions... there is a need at all levels to set the good example.

The committee members must set a good example to the troop. The CC should certainly wear the uniform to set an example to both the youth and adults. (Imagine the chairman of the board showing up without a suit, same mental image for a CC out of uniform.) Any committee members that work with youth should also wear the uniform. If a committee member only goes to committee meetings and the youth (including their children) don't see them going to a Scout meeting without uniform, well, not much harm done.

Wear your uniform! I wear mine proudly, as troop committee chair to the meetings, even when I'm the only one in uniform. I have my committee patch on the sleeve and have never been confused for the SM, except.............when I've been filling in for him while he was on overseas and I counted that as a pleasure, but wore my CC shirt all the same.

The boys learn by example..........right???