Help for new cubmaster

The Third Party sites say "year completed," which makes sense, because all the Summertime Stuff includes Den Stuff, and you don't really know your fall Den Numbers because Dens might merge/split in the fall. We used the year completed, because that lets an active Scout earn all 4 pins, and it makes zero sense to have no ability for a Tiger to really earn it and a Webelos be able to earn it twice. Same thing with Outdoor Activity Award... we do stuff all year, then we go to camp, camp is only offered in the summer. You could never earn the Tiger one unless your parents came as your adult partner?!?!? That's silly.

That said, you can do it either way, whatever makes your Pack Go.

Will the Summertime Pack Award incent Tigers to sign up in the Springs and do stuff with the special Tiger award (we tried that, totally failed, new Scouts have no idea what Scout bling is). Alternatively, does doing it with their Tiger Buddies give them a reason to come, and have a chance to "collect them all?"

In general, a Cub advances at the later of:

June 1st, assuming rank earned

Sept 1st, assuming rank not earned

I mean, why would you deny a Scout the summer to wrap up his prior year Rank? Electives? Who cares, work on the new ones. One or two away from an Arrow Point, wrap it up, then move on.

I mean, my Scouts were psyched to move on to the next level, why would they stick at the old level. If one "missed out" on an achievement, why not let him wrap it up in June?

Regarding the Pins... I look at it like Outdoor Activity. All my Scouts that went to summer camp had their new Patches, that was cool and different. Why wait until October/November to earn them at the new level. Finished the School year, go to camp, get cool new patches.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Summer Time Awards has no bearing on rank advancement. Whatever your Pack wants to base it on. just be consistant Since we haven't recruited in the Spring, most of our Scouts signed on in the fall, we award them at the previous rank going into the Summer
Pretty easy with an active program.....He will camp every weekend in October between OA, the troop and his Patrol camp out. June he camped 11 nights with resident camp, jambo troop and the troop, July he had 14 nights 10 at jambo troop and patrol, August 4 nights......September only 3. All under the Auspices of scouting....

So he camped 42 nights from June thru september of this year..... Thru October he will have 50 days. A group within the troop is talking about going backpacking for 4 nights over Thanksgiving.

They should get the Bear pin. They completed wolf, and during the summer can work on Bear requirements (if they went to day camp, they would work on Bear not Wolf, right?). Same deal here. Award them the Bear pin and call it a good summer!

Could be more regional, KDD, and definitely financial. Families who don't need to worry about paying for childcare or preschool will often hold back their boys with September through December birthdays so they will be more mature when they start school. These boys are turning 10 years old when they start 4th grade, so 10-1/2 years by May of 4th grade is not unreasonable at all where I live.
Your Cubscouts are the rank that they are when you turn in the advancement sheets to Council saying...this Scout is now a Bear on this date. Done. So, during the summer that they are a BEAR, they get the BEAR Summertime Pack Award PIN.

A Tiger can earn the Tiger Pin if they sign-up as a Tiger before Summer. IE: Spring recruitment. That new Scout who just graduated Kindergarten can join Cubscouts.

Huey, he'll technically be a Webelos when he finishes his Bear requirements at the end of 3rd grade, so he has his 3-4 summer and his 4-5 summer in Cub Scouts. KDD's question is still unanswered.
The Third Party sites say "year completed," which makes sense, because all the Summertime Stuff includes Den Stuff, and you don't really know your fall Den Numbers because Dens might merge/split in the fall. We used the year completed, because that lets an active Scout earn all 4 pins, and it makes zero sense to have no ability for a Tiger to really earn it and a Webelos be able to earn it twice. Same thing with Outdoor Activity Award... we do stuff all year, then we go to camp, camp is only offered in the summer. You could never earn the Tiger one unless your parents came as your adult partner?!?!? That's silly.

Will the Summertime Pack Award incent Tigers to sign up in the Springs and do stuff with the special Tiger award (we tried that, totally failed, new Scouts have no idea what Scout bling is). Alternatively, does doing it with their Tiger Buddies give them a reason to come, and have a chance to "collect them all?"

I mean, why would you deny a Scout the summer to wrap up his prior year Rank? Electives? Who cares, work on the new ones. One or two away from an Arrow Point, wrap it up, then move on.

I mean, my Scouts were psyched to move on to the next level, why would they stick at the old level. If one "missed out" on an achievement, why not let him wrap it up in June?

Regarding the Pins... I look at it like Outdoor Activity. All my Scouts that went to summer camp had their new Patches, that was cool and different. Why wait until October/November to earn them at the new level. Finished the School year, go to camp, get cool new patches.

You've made the best argument yet for basing it on the year just completed. As you mentioned, you have no idea how many boys will be in a den until you complete your fall recruitment. Because the Summertime application asks for a 50% threshold for the den award, it would seem that the just-completed year makes more sense because you know how many boys were in that den at the time you submit the application for award.
Your Cubscouts are the rank that they are when you turn in the advancement sheets to Council saying...this Scout is now a Bear on this date. Done. So, during the summer that they are a BEAR, they get the BEAR Summertime Pack Award PIN.

A Tiger can earn the Tiger Pin if they sign-up as a Tiger before Summer. IE: Spring recruitment. That new Scout who just graduated Kindergarten can join Cubscouts.

Each Summer is in that Rank. So, once Bear Rank is completed and the Cubscout Year is over, generally June 1st, Scout moves up to Webelos I. Once Summertime Pack Award requirements are met, he is awarded the Webelos Pin for that Summer as WI. It does stand to reason that during the Webelos II Summer he can earn the Pin.

So, yes it can.

I will also say that most Packs that I know including the one that I was in, didn't re-buy a beltloop or pin that was re-earned. So, it could be just stated that he earned it and congratulate the Scout at the Pack Meeting. It's what we did. It cuts down cost within the budget.
Yeah, I gotta agree with that. Who cares when....

I can see it getting a little more important if the pack is active through the summer.... and by active I mean den meetings ad pack meetings continue the same all year..... then it may be a little more of something to concern yourself with.

If you do a Spring Recruitment and target the Kindergarten Class, you will get your Den of Tigers. They can get registered along with the new Tiger Den Leaders and head off towards Summer Camp all all the other fun things. Makes for an easier Fall Recruitment.

dedkad,

if you have 8 bears on May 31st,

then on June 1st council database changes their rank and you have webelos,

so you do the paperwork for the summertime pack award based on how many are in your brand new webelos den for the summer. The goal of the award is to keep them active in the summer so you don't lose them by the fall.

The reality is only once have we extended our Units June 1st advancement for a lad.....guess what he didn't earn it anyhow
We have never had a boy work on his rank after June 1st. We tell them the end of May is the cut off, go thru a graduation ceremony to the next rank with changes of hats and neckers the end of may and they get new books. the boys really don't care to go back and finish the old stuff once that new book gets in their hot little hands.