Help for new cubmaster

Your Cubscouts are the rank that they are when you turn in the advancement sheets to Council saying...this Scout is now a Bear on this date. Done. So, during the summer that they are a BEAR, they get the BEAR Summertime Pack Award PIN.

A Tiger can earn the Tiger Pin if they sign-up as a Tiger before Summer. IE: Spring recruitment. That new Scout who just graduated Kindergarten can join Cubscouts.

Agreed. What would you do about the Webelos who joined scouts in June after he graduated Kindergarten and now has graduated 4th grade and fulfills the requirements ? What pin do you award him ? Another Webelos Pin ?
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Cubscouts are the rank that they are when you turn in the advancement sheets to Council saying...this Scout is now a Bear on this date. Done. So, during the summer that they are a BEAR, they get the BEAR Summertime Pack Award PIN.

A Tiger can earn the Tiger Pin if they sign-up as a Tiger before Summer. IE: Spring recruitment. That new Scout who just graduated Kindergarten can join Cubscouts.

He will get the Webelos Pin that summer since he's going into 5th Grade and Webelos II working on Arrow of Light Rank. Webelos II will crossover to Boyscouts. Hence, no second Webelos Pin.
The Summer Time Awards has no bearing on rank advancement. Whatever your Pack wants to base it on. just be consistant Since we haven't recruited in the Spring, most of our Scouts signed on in the fall, we award them at the previous rank going into the Summer
I base, when i was Cubmaster, what pin to give the Scout what rank he is at that time. Usually Tigers that summer are Tigers in the Fall. Hence, that pin.

The last Pack Meeting is our full crossover for all Ranks and awarding of all Ranks. So, at the end of the Pack Meeting, I declare the Cubscout Year over and they are all now the next Rank. Then we dive right into Summertime Pack Award and Summercamp season.

So, if there are Kindergartners, the Council considers them 1st Graders after June 1st. Hence, they are 1st Graders and Tigers. If we can award their Bobcat since they worked on it and earned it, we award it then too. If we do not have Tigers, it is just Wolves, Bears, Webelos I and II.

The Summer Time Awards has no bearing on rank advancement. Whatever your Pack wants to base it on. just be consistant Since we haven't recruited in the Spring, most of our Scouts signed on in the fall, we award them at the previous rank going into the Summer
Oh, for the love of Akela ....

Don't anybody dare call national and ask them for a rule!

Like BD said, it's a pin that gets swept off the floor at a pack meeting if it's not stashed in a box in the kid's sock drawer! The JTE metrics make no mention of pins. It doesn't even mention summertime activities.

Give the Webelos Tiger Pins and the Wolfs Webelos pins and see how it changes the color of the ribbon on the pack flag or the knot on their uniform 10 years from now ... IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER.

What matters is that the kids have active summers and feel proud about it.

I know this isn't official but meritbadge.org says otherwise. The vast majority of tigers start with the school year so how could they earn the Tiger pin ? I think further evidence is that there is no Webelos II pin. "Since the goal of the Summertime award is to have Packs continue the program through the summer, the summertime award scouts receive should match their current rank rather than the rank they are working on (ie, boys who have attained the rank of Tiger will receive the Tiger pin even though they are in a Wolf Den and working towards the Wolf rank). " http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/National_Summertime_Award
I would if official BSA websites had anything.
I thought JTE mentioned 3 summertime pack activities in the past, 2011 maybe but i cant find the score card. Regardless you are correct, it does not now. Just outdoor activities. My old pack had a Pack Trainer who was a JTE fanatic, I think it was because the Council gave a 20% discount on camping with gold.

Oh boy, a Challenge. I will appoint one of my loyal subjects to call National. :). Hop to it BD. He likes to do that.

I suppose "since it just doesn't matter" we should just do away with the entire cub recognition program.

Somewhere in the BSA documents/leader book it says that the rank a boy is working on, and what den they are in is what you would call them. So a boy who is going into 3rd grade, National says they are Bear Scouts, they are in your Bear den and they are working toward their Bear badge, right? Why would you give them a Summertime Pack Award pin for wolf? Makes no sense.

As to the question of why have a Tiger summertime Pack award if there aren't any tigers--they don't get any new tigers in the pack until the fall--well at the time the Summertime pack award was rolled out, there was a HUGE push to get Tigers registered at the end of May/first of June so they could participate in the Pack's summertime events, and go to day camp or resident camp. so it would make sense for those boys who join and go to all the summertime events to be able to get the Tiger Summertime Pack award pin--otherwise they don't get any pin at all?

As to 2nd year webelos then getting two webelos pins, well in 8 years of doing the summertime pack award, I've only had a small handful of boys who actually earned the webelos summertime pack award both summers. Usually we lose them to a family vacation in June or July so there is no way they can attend, especially two summers in a row. I had some leftovers of the plain gold summertime pack award pins that they used to offer (cause used to be you could earn 5 plain gold summertime pack award pins) and I gave the boys who earned the pin two times as webelos a choice of a second webelos pin or a plain gold pin and most chose to get the webelos pin a 2nd time. So no big deal.

Be consistent, and figure out what you'll do with tigers who join before August if they earn the award, and what you'll do with 2nd year webelose if they earn the award. as long as you have a reasonable answer for those instances nobody will care. Aside from the fact that the pin color goes with the color of their neckerchief, even though we think it should go with the color of their rank patch, and the wolf and webelos pins get mixed up anyways. most boys are never going to earn all 5 years of pins anyway.

They should get the Bear pin. They completed wolf, and during the summer can work on Bear requirements (if they went to day camp, they would work on Bear not Wolf, right?). Same deal here. Award them the Bear pin and call it a good summer!

Thats right....We have a quality Webelo program....we take the Webelos to summer camp, troop host them on two camp outs and they by May of their first year they have completed all the requirements for the AOL
Awe that hurts coming from the IH of a parlor troop

Only when I think something of the award. KDD......The Outdoor Achievement award means something....... So why didn't you email national and ask????

It takes much more than showing up for an adult planned and lead thing....

I have a couple of lads that earned the initial patch and the Camping Rocker and one gold and two silver devices each......They are not my scout either.....He needs to earn either First Aid or pioneering merit badge to finish. then he will have one gold and three to five silver devices depending on how long it takes him to

Lets talk about the JTE....

So for earning the JTE on any level you get to buy everyone in the unit a patch for a couple of bucks a piece..... Then your DE's bonus is tied too it.......No reason to fill it out, your DE will do it and make your unit gold......

Three to five silver devices for the camping badge, that's impressive. Each silver device is for an additional 100 camping nights. Wow. 300-500 camping nights, that's a camping machine. All under the auspices of the BSA with over half his patrol. There should be a platinum device for that.
They should get the Bear pin. They completed wolf, and during the summer can work on Bear requirements (if they went to day camp, they would work on Bear not Wolf, right?). Same deal here. Award them the Bear pin and call it a good summer!

Is this just a regional difference ? I don't know any 10 1/2 year olds in May of their 4th grade year. My oldest was still 9 at the end of 4th grade. He wasn't 10 1/2 until February of 5th grade.

According to page 32 of the Cub Scout Leader Book (2010 printing) the boys "graduate" to the next level at the end of the school year, "usually May or June". The specific example in the Leader Book is Tigers to Wolves. Based on this, for the Summertime award, they receive the color award for the grade they will start in the fall. The only difference is the color band on the outside. Otherwise the awards are the same and the requirements are the same.

I thought I read someplace that the "official" change date was June 1. Prior to June they could still work on Wolf electives. After that, they would be working on bear stuff.

Yeah, I think the BSA makes all of this way more confusing that it needs to be. EVERYTHING we do is based on the school year, except council drives dues on the calendar year.

Yeah, I gotta agree with that. Who cares when....

I can see it getting a little more important if the pack is active through the summer.... and by active I mean den meetings ad pack meetings continue the same all year..... then it may be a little more of something to concern yourself with.