Cheap Neckerchief Slides

I want to do a leader recognition ceremony. I want to present each leader in the pack with a neckerchief and slide. The Cub Scout Leader neckerchief is $8. The neckerchief slide is $7. If I could find slides for $1. I think I could go ahead with my plan. Any ideas?

1/2 inch PVC pipe. Cut into 2inch lengths. Sand smooth, sand off lettering. Glue on appropriate dodad (Matchbox car, cheap compass, AAA battery, dried flower, flashlight bulb, shiny quarter, use thy imagination) and give each person an appropriate award. "Sparkplug" "Go Getter", "Pathfinder" , "Dependable in a pinch", whatever you can come up with. Such as: http://usscouts.org/profbvr/fun_awards/

• Upvote 1

There is a way to tie the necker in a knot and have it hang neatly down the front. A slide is optional, other than that, a rubber band works nicely as already mentioned. As a matter of fact I have all my boys tie a knot or use rubber bands so the slide doesn't slide off. I have no sympathy for lost slides.

1/2 inch PVC pipe. Cut into 2inch lengths. Sand smooth, sand off lettering. Glue on appropriate dodad (Matchbox car, cheap compass, AAA battery, dried flower, flashlight bulb, shiny quarter, use thy imagination) and give each person an appropriate award. "Sparkplug" "Go Getter", "Pathfinder" , "Dependable in a pinch", whatever you can come up with. Such as: http://usscouts.org/profbvr/fun_awards/
After cutting the PVC into 2 inch lengths, I drilled a few random holes in the sides, and had my Cubbies do the sanding. Then they used brown and black sharpies to color bark onto the PVC surface. The great thing about PVC slides is THEY DON'T FALL OFF like the official slide...
There is a way to tie the necker in a knot and have it hang neatly down the front. A slide is optional, other than that, a rubber band works nicely as already mentioned. As a matter of fact I have all my boys tie a knot or use rubber bands so the slide doesn't slide off. I have no sympathy for lost slides.
Can you use EDGE to teach us that special knot ? :)

I usually tie a knot for the slide but a trainer told me that was not a good idea as the cubs tend to grab at the necker when playing games and it could cause a neck injury. :(

Duh,... take the necker off when playing rough games.

Nothing special about the necker knot. It's real close to the way one ties a slip knot in a regular tie.

Stosh

When are 8 year olds not playing rough games ? :)
Got curious about this special knot. Is this the one you use jblake?

http://guidinguk.freeservers.com/necker.html

No, but thanks for the link, it looks cool!

Mine is nothing really all that elaborate, If anyone were to tie a normal man's suit time with the cheater knot rather than the Windsor knot, you would know what I'm talking about. Usually one end of the necker is longer than the other, but pulling on it releases the one end of the necker. The slip ability of the knot would make it easier to remove than any other knot. The nice thing about it is the ends of the necker hang straight down rather than sticking out as they would with a number of other knots, and that by pulling on it slips the knot open and is a bit safer if snagged.

Stosh

"jblake47 commented Today, 09:03 AM Editing a comment

No, but thanks for the link, it looks cool!

Mine is nothing really all that elaborate, If anyone were to tie a normal man's suit time with the cheater knot rather than the Windsor knot, you would know what I'm talking about. Usually one end of the necker is longer than the other, but pulling on it releases the one end of the necker. The slip ability of the knot would make it easier to remove than any other knot. The nice thing about it is the ends of the necker hang straight down rather than sticking out as they would with a number of other knots, and that by pulling on it slips the knot open and is a bit safer if snagged."

I'll have to give that a try. Seems like it might only work with larger neckers. Not sure my son's cub necker would have long enough tails for the knot and to still hang low enough to look good.

If you like knots, para chord can be used for real cheap woggles. You need something less than 4'. http://www.troop54.com/knots/TurksHeadKnot/TurksHeadKnot.htm. The only challenge is figuring out the right diameter to start with so it ends up right. Sometimes you have to try a few times. If you like knots it's not a problem, if you don't, well, stick with pvc.

Something else that is very nice is, while making the turks head, between coming out and going back into the knot, is drop down a loop and tie an overhand knot in the loop. It looks just like the Good Turn Daily knot hanging off the bottom of the scroll in the scout badge.

If you like knots, para chord can be used for real cheap woggles. You need something less than 4'. http://www.troop54.com/knots/TurksHeadKnot/TurksHeadKnot.htm. The only challenge is figuring out the right diameter to start with so it ends up right. Sometimes you have to try a few times. If you like knots it's not a problem, if you don't, well, stick with pvc.

Something else that is very nice is, while making the turks head, between coming out and going back into the knot, is drop down a loop and tie an overhand knot in the loop. It looks just like the Good Turn Daily knot hanging off the bottom of the scroll in the scout badge.

I tighten my Turk's Head knots on a dowel the diameter of the PVC pipe normally used. If the dowel fits inside the PVC pipe, it's the right size. One can also "weld" the two ends of parachute cords at the end to affix them permanently.

Stosh