In search of a scientist and artist

As for Artist, remember that Art covers a wide range of subjects. In cub Scouts for our art belt loop we did cupcake decorating, mixing the primary colored frostings to see what colors you could make with them. A Cake Decorator is an Artist, they just make edible art. A chef is also an artist and can probably explain how artistry is part of the work of a good chef (presentation, color, texture etc).

• Upvote 1
As for Artist, remember that Art covers a wide range of subjects. In cub Scouts for our art belt loop we did cupcake decorating, mixing the primary colored frostings to see what colors you could make with them. A Cake Decorator is an Artist, they just make edible art. A chef is also an artist and can probably explain how artistry is part of the work of a good chef (presentation, color, texture etc).

Great info! I hadn't thought of mixing frosting. That would be much less expensive than mixing acrylic paint. (We did acrylics last time and I had a heart attack every time a boy squeezed paint out of the tube. I bought the expensive paint for my family and let the cubs use it because I knew the cost would never be approved by the cub committee.) I know the grocery store bakery has tours for preschool kids. I will call and see if they'd allow cub scouts.

Trust me, that was the quietest den meeting ever! The kids were so involved in mixing their frostings to see what colors they would get and frosting cupcakes. It was eerie how good and quiet and involved they were with it. We just had a few moms volunteer to bring a dozen cupcakes or so each unfrosted and another mom made a huge amount of frosting and added the blue, red, yellow food coloring to it.