If the boy is from another country, (if anyone is from another country) why would we expect him to recite a promise/make an oath concerning his loyalty to the US of A? If the PoA is appropriate to your expression of your love of the US of A, then go for it. If the PoA is seen as an unnecessary oath, or an expression bordering on idolatry (promising to be loyal to a piece of cloth?) , as some religions see it. then as a Scout, I must be respectful and understanding of that belief.

And, where does it "say" that a boy of another nationality cannot join the BS of A? He is indeed fortunate to have obtained such a new, loving family. Wish more boys had such opportunities.

I say give him the neckerchief and take him on the trail. In a years time, he can certainly earn First Class and proudly take it back to his home with some satisfaction and good memories and new friendships. And where is the harm in that? There is none. Only good can come of such , and after all, bridges between people are what is needed, not more walls.

If the boy is from another country, (if anyone is from another country) why would we expect him to recite a promise/make an oath concerning his loyalty to the US of A? If the PoA is appropriate to your expression of your love of the US of A, then go for it. If the PoA is seen as an unnecessary oath, or an expression bordering on idolatry (promising to be loyal to a piece of cloth?) , as some religions see it. then as a Scout, I must be respectful and understanding of that belief.

And, where does it "say" that a boy of another nationality cannot join the BS of A? He is indeed fortunate to have obtained such a new, loving family. Wish more boys had such opportunities.

I say give him the neckerchief and take him on the trail. In a years time, he can certainly earn First Class and proudly take it back to his home with some satisfaction and good memories and new friendships. And where is the harm in that? There is none. Only good can come of such , and after all, bridges between people are what is needed, not more walls.

Why would pledging allegiance to a foreign country be a prerequisite to take a hike with your buddies? Pledging to one's own country should be sufficient for World Wide Scouting! It may be a good time to get new BSA glasses, so they aren't so myopic!
  • 2 years later...

In (late) honor of Easter I wanted to resurrect this Lazarus thread. We have a parent hosting an exchange student. They want to include the boy in Scouting activities. My biggest concerns are around permissions, guardianship, and health and safety. The host family is usually late with their own paperwork, now we are being asked to accept a foreign student in to the program and make sure they are fully covered (medical forms, permission slips, etc.). 

While I laud the concept of accepting exchange students in to the program, the fiduciary and health/safety of this student will fall on the SM/CC and the host family. I confess that this makes me more than uncomfortable. We are asking council what we can do to mitigate our exposure on this AND consulting an attorney (in-house and pro bono, thank goodness).

Anyone have any experience in offering such an opening to an exchange student?

Edited by Krampus

Many moons ago, I was involved in foreign exchange programs and the organization coordinating the exchange is responsible for making sure the parent/child contact is maintained.  If one is having a permission slip signed, it has to be signed by the PARENT, not the Exchange Host.  40 years ago, that was a hassle.  Maybe with the speed of communication that process can be expedited.  In any case I would have the PARENTS fully involved, knowledgeable and approving of such activity.  Remember the health policy of the foreign country may not be kosher in the states.  The Exchange Program may be the ones holding the medical insurance for the exchange students, etc.  A lot of unknowns out there that would need to be exposed, explained and approved before moving on it.

These Exchange people have been involved in this process for many years.  We have not.  Now's the time to start asking a ton of questions! I would focus those questions to the Exchange people, not us here on the forum.  :)

By the way, if the person is a Scout in his home country, BSA/WOSM might be able to facilitate some of this as well.

Many moons ago, I was involved in foreign exchange programs and the organization coordinating the exchange is responsible for making sure the parent/child contact is maintained.  If one is having a permission slip signed, it has to be signed by the PARENT, not the Exchange Host.  40 years ago, that was a hassle.  Maybe with the speed of communication that process can be expedited.  In any case I would have the PARENTS fully involved, knowledgeable and approving of such activity.  Remember the health policy of the foreign country may not be kosher in the states.  The Exchange Program may be the ones holding the medical insurance for the exchange students, etc.  A lot of unknowns out there that would need to be exposed, explained and approved before moving on it.

These Exchange people have been involved in this process for many years.  We have not.  Now's the time to start asking a ton of questions! I would focus those questions to the Exchange people, not us here on the forum.  :)

By the way, if the person is a Scout in his home country, BSA/WOSM might be able to facilitate some of this as well.

Good points @@Stosh...and ones that have also crossed my mind.

I hate to say it like this, but this is a great deal of extra work in my already over-burdened Scout work day. We don't have the resources to run all this down and stay on top of it. If the family were a bit more proactive and competent I would trust them to get much of this. In short, I don't trust them to get this completed.

I hate to turn away someone, but I am pretty sure I'd hate a lawsuit and/or Federal prison more.

Good points @@Stosh...and ones that have also crossed my mind.

I hate to say it like this, but this is a great deal of extra work in my already over-burdened Scout work day. We don't have the resources to run all this down and stay on top of it. If the family were a bit more proactive and competent I would trust them to get much of this. In short, I don't trust them to get this completed.

I hate to turn away someone, but I am pretty sure I'd hate a lawsuit and/or Federal prison more.

@@Krampus I wouldn't worry about a lawsuit or Federal prison.  The scope of this situation would move it quickly into the arena of an "international incident".  :)

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

@@Krampus I wouldn't worry about a lawsuit or Federal prison.  The scope of this situation would move it quickly into the arena of an "international incident".  :)

Yes, that too.

I heard back from our council (guy I know who works there). His official response was, "I will forward to our CE and have him respond."

The unofficial response? "Are you freaking CRAZY!!!! I would never take that risk in a million years."

Edited by Krampus

I sought advice from Council HQ because of several internationals interested in Venturing. Having grown up with the occasional exchange student in our troop, I knew there was a way to make this work.

Bottom Line: The host family serves as guardian for the duration of the student's stay. So it is on them to sign paperwork and communicate to parents.

It sounds like you have concerns that these particular guardians wont have the student's best interest at heart. In that case, there is nothing wrong with asking the student to fax back-and-forth the parent's signature as well.

I'd even go so far as to skype with the parents and let them know what's on your program. They may want to arrange the scout's return trip so as to not miss a summer camp or high adventure. My exchange-Venturers wound up not participating much because they didn't grasp the how and when of our schedule.

• Upvote 1

I'd even go so far as to skype with the parents and let them know what's on your program. They may want to arrange the scout's return trip so as to not miss a summer camp or high adventure. My exchange-Venturers wound up not participating much because they didn't grasp the how and when of our schedule.

Good input, thanks. Way more work than needed. Right now in the middle of a changing of the guard. Last thing we need is to throw the new leadership this curve.

My wife and both kids were exchange students. We've hosted several. Exchange students can be highly motivated, wonderful additions to your troop. Not all are but these kids are already in a completely different environment where trying something new and getting over making a fool of yourself is a day to day occurance. We had a camporee where one scout, the PL, was just outstanding in getting his patrol motivated. Between that and his accent I asked him where he was from and what program he was in. He was Brazilian. If you think scouts is all about learning on your own from your mistakes without mom and dad around to bail you out, then stick your 16 year old kid on a plane and don't talk to him for a month. That's what we were told. Once your son finds his host parents they will call you. Tell them you love them but you don't expect to hear from them for a month. 100 yards for a weekend? How about 10k miles for ten months? If the kid is here for the school year then he's over the worst of it. Again, not all kids are great but a lot are. If the kid wants to be here as opposed to the parent that wants him to be here then he'll be fine.

They will have US insurance. The host parents should be fine but if it makes you more comfortable then go ahead and Skype with the parents. Also, ask to talk to the local coordinator of the program. Better yet, talk to the boy and have him arrange for you to talk to these people.

• 5 weeks later...

Look at the positives:

1. NO helicoptering parents!

2. Opportunity for the exchange student to educate the Troop on another country and their customs.

If the host parents are not the best at paperwork and if you and your leaders are swamped with other Troop issues right now this is the perfect task to assign to a less than active leader or even a responsible non-leader parent and ask for help to get the issue researched and resolved.  It is a limited scope ask/project so odds of getting someone to take it off your hands and resolve well are pretty darn good.  At the end of the project when the kid returns home you may even be able to assign something new to this parent who helped you.  I'm pretty sure that all the issues and concerns people are raising have been answered and resolved by some exchange student organization many times before.  You just need someone good to find out that information.