Boy Scouts threaten to sue Oakland-based nonprofit for using 'scouts' in name

What if another youth group, say the "1911 Scouts" formed and decided to use the requirements listed in your link?

That describes the various Baden-Powell Scouts associations, except they are based on B-P's more rugged Patrol System and badge requirements, with the specific year of either 1938 or 1965.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or, is it dishonorable to let the public associate the largest and oldest movements in the USA with your novelty? Even if that movement is in its nadir, isn't it more trustworthy to take a name that

What if another youth group, say the "1911 Scouts" formed and decided to use the requirements listed in your link?

That describes the various Baden-Powell Scouts associations, except they are based on B-P's more rugged Patrol System and badge requirements, with the specific year of either 1938 or 1965.

1911 Scout means something else:

​

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=417860

Nice, looks similar to a SW1911 E-series but in 10mm. Ok "1911 Scouts" is taken (I don't think any National lawyers will object) . Kudu's point is taken, I should have stated Baden-Powell Scouts instead.

Hmmm maybe a forums on Scoutcraft and Shooting Sports should be added?

My $0.01

Schiff: Super Scout?

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=290790&highlight=Scouts

Another nice one. Say any scouter discount for a Scout 1911? Would may a nice retirement gift for an ASM.
Actually, I believe trade mark law requires the BSA (or any other trade mark holder) to take aggressive action or loose it's trade mark. The BSA doesn't really have a choice here.
2 words:

Windows

Word

both of which have been trademarked by Microsoft and are "in common usage".

OK another word (can I type that without violating MS trademark?):

"context"

Kudu, Not sure I understand your question. In the unlikely event, that Congress would revisit the BSA charter, here goes.

"The purposes of the corporation are to promote, through organization, and cooperation with other agencies and other youth organizations:

1) The ability of youth to do things for themselves and others,

2) To train them in Scoutcraft, and life skills.

3) To teach them patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred virtues,

using the methods that were in common use by boy scouts on June 15, 1916. probably remove as methods change over time

30904 Powers

(2) The corporation may dispose in any manner of the whole property of the corporation only with the written consent and affirmative vote of a majority of the members of the corporation.

Are "members" the CO's or scout and scouters? Rewrite! I sure as hell did not vote to shutdown Schiff Reservation!

30905 Exclusive rights... have "scout" and "scouting" become genericized like aspirin and escalator?

The corporation has the exclusive right to use emblems, badges, descriptive or designating marks, and words or phrases the corporation adopts.

This section does not affect any vested rights.

What if another youth group, say the "1911 Scouts" formed and decided to use the requirements listed in your link? I can't understand anyone complaining about their name or program.

My $0.01,

Re-sync the current program with the original charter of 1916.

versus

Re-sync the 1916 charter with the current program or what the current program should be.

What i meant by "life skills" was to emphasize skills that should be taught to achieve "self reliance"

1. Vocational skills - we need to go back to teaching the proper use of hand and power tools rather than prohibit their use out of ignorance and fear.

2. Fund-raise by selling our scout-made products and services - not popcorn, discount tickets, candy (if I see OA members selling candy at a camporee...)

3. Solo experiences - we need to get back to allowing scouts to plan and execute their own hikes and campouts without tag-along adults. I would like to see scout-only patrols treking at Philmont, etc.

I think girls are here to be scouts, same as the boys.

My $0.02

At about $1500, a VERY nice gift!
And "Hacker Jackers" or "Hacker Jacks" sounds a lot cooler than "Hacker Scouts".
hacking is the art of learning how a system works and discovering flaws that may be exploited.

Jacking is taking over a system as in Hi-Jack.

Cracking is gaining unauthorized access to a system.

They probobly would rather shy away from the black hats

BSA has to protect the brand or will lose it. Simple fact of life.
qwazse commented:

"...hypothetically a car club called 'International Harvester Scout Owners'."

I believe that the BSA went to court over the use of "Scout" as a vehicle name. Can anyone a Google a reference to it?

They did sue the GSUSA over the term "Girl Scouts:"

http://www.inquiry.net/adult/bsa_vs_gsusa.htm

I wonder if BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company) ever sued BSA over their trademark? At one time they were the largest motorcycle manufacturer and their optics are still popular.
Or the Business Software Alliance, which mostly exists to fight illegal software copying and IP infringement.

Kudu, I seem to remember the opposite, where someone pointed out that the BSA's trademark for youth groups wouldn't cover the name of a vehicle, since they can't really be confused with each other. But it was a long time ago that I saw that.

BSA has to protect the brand or will lose it. Simple fact of life.
The BSA has an exclusive right to "scout" and "scouting" not because it has those terms trademarked - BadenP is right that they are likely un-trademarkable - but because of their Congressional charter. Google "Wrenn v BSA" for details.

The issue with "Hacker Scouts" is that they are a youth organization that has "scouts" in its name, even though they are not a "scouting" organization by any stretch of the imagination.

I wonder if BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company) ever sued BSA over their trademark? At one time they were the largest motorcycle manufacturer and their optics are still popular.
Maybe the BSAs should join forces: Approach local businesses, and ask for a tour. At some point a cute young Scout asks "Wow, you sure have a lot of computers, can you show me the records stating you have appropriate software licenses for them all?" BAM! The troop turns the company in to the other BSA and collects the reward

It's a lot more lucrative than popcorn.

Or they could form an alliance with Hacker Scouts and train all the kids to become patent and copyright trolls. Big bucks.