Webelos and no den

(Okay' date=' so I pay him a bean per achievement and beans can be traded in for video game time. I pay beans for cooking, cleaning, and other things too. This kid and his video game obsession get my house cleaned and the yard weeded!) [/quote']

We do a similar thing with our kids, it does work, but we need to get more consistent with it.

Wondering, In your program how many game minutes does one bean buy, and how much say weeding does he have to do to earn one bean? 1:1 or something else?

I am not a fan of excessive video game time but I have to ask. 8 beans for reading how much of the New Testament? Surely not whole book ? 4 hours of piano buys 30 minutes of video ?

Beans or cash, pretty much the same thing. Work is being monetized. It may be effective, just rubs me the wrong way at that age.

Btw. Deodorant or anti-perspirent ? Coercing someone to use artificial scents seems a little harsh. Young noses can be very sensitive. If perspiration is the problem that is another story.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Okay' date=' so I pay him a bean per achievement and beans can be traded in for video game time. I pay beans for cooking, cleaning, and other things too. This kid and his video game obsession get my house cleaned and the yard weeded!) [/quote']

We do a similar thing with our kids, it does work, but we need to get more consistent with it.

Wondering, In your program how many game minutes does one bean buy, and how much say weeding does he have to do to earn one bean? 1:1 or something else?

Ok. I didn't think of having the kids award themselves.

BD, I've used similar systems when I think that my child needs frequent and immediate recognition for his/her behavior. It can help reset expectations for me and for my child. For this purpose, I think having the parent make the award/recognition is key. I also think in general it is more appropriate for younger kids than older kids. Kind of like how BSA runs its scout program, in that the older the scout, the more work and time into the award for recognition.

This has gotta be the dumbest thing I have read, well next to the thermometer thing...

So either they want the boys or they don't..........There shouldn't be any conditions..... Something just isn't right.

Just get the sneaking suspicion there is much more to the story than we are hearing.

All this decision making stuff is done quite secretly. I know a little because my husbands in on this- but only a little because he's a secretary. They've been debating joining the pack with another for 3 months and I only heard about it when they finally made the decision to actually do it- then they decided it couldn't work right away.
I'm currently looking into temporarily joining another troop. We were originally supposed to start up scouts again this week, but now they want to look around and see if there's another small pack we could join up with, but that may be difficult if the small pack is not nearby. (With Utah church scouts we all want to be within walking distance of the meetings.) The pack we were supposed to join up with has all men leaders and we have all women leaders and that doesn't work. Hopefully this will be ironed out fairly soon, but maybe not.

In the meantime, My kids and I have learned to play ultimate and will have to go play a game this afternoon. After that we may have to go down to the church to play volleyball. (The pack just needed to play a game when we were told to quit meetings.)

In the LDS church a man and women that are not married to each other are not to be paired together. It would be different if there were 2 women and a man, but this would be one man and one woman.
I'm currently looking into temporarily joining another troop. We were originally supposed to start up scouts again this week, but now they want to look around and see if there's another small pack we could join up with, but that may be difficult if the small pack is not nearby. (With Utah church scouts we all want to be within walking distance of the meetings.) The pack we were supposed to join up with has all men leaders and we have all women leaders and that doesn't work. Hopefully this will be ironed out fairly soon, but maybe not.

In the meantime, My kids and I have learned to play ultimate and will have to go play a game this afternoon. After that we may have to go down to the church to play volleyball. (The pack just needed to play a game when we were told to quit meetings.)

ROFL. I am sorry christineka I know this is serious for you but I hope you can see the humor in what you wrote. A man and multiple women is fine, but not one man and one woman. How very Mormon. What is the position on two men and one woman ? LOL.

How is anything inappropriate supposed to happen with 6-8 boys bouncing off the walls ?

Way off base KDD. Ever heard of a boss and his executive assistant having a fling? It's probably not happening at work but the relationship developed there. The biggest part of resisting temptation is to not put yourself in a position to be tempted. Just because christineka's faith practices a more conservative form of moral standard doesn't make it a subject for your distorted liberal humor.

The notion of men and women not being alone together is very biblical. The Hebrew word is Yichud, BTW. I would think that the presence of the Den would alleviate that. But in LDS, the Den Leader may not have a child in the den. I would think that the issue could be resolved by meeting in a public space, but it sounds like they are not looking for a solution.

I'd join a non-LDS Pack, work with your son to complete his AOL while the adults get their act together. He can rejoin his LDS Pack when they form back up or when he bridges in a few months to the Troop. No need to miss out on a once in a life time opportunity while the adults play games.

That said, the fact that the example was 2 Women/1 Man, and not 2 Men, 1 Woman, does produce a small chuckle, even if its inappropriate off-color humor that KDD was inappropriate to bring up in a public forum.. :)

I am certainly not trying to be disrespectful of her faith, but I have a hard time understanding this particular situation. I taught preschool swim lessons for a year with a married Momron woman at the Y, though there was a guard present. We did however get together many times without the presence of another adult. Lunch break at a burger joint with one of her daughters during a guard class. I rented a tiller for my garden and went to her house to deliver some extra compost and cultivate her raised bed garden. I am sure I was invited in the house for a glass of water. Other occasions surely occurred were other adults were not present and maybe not our children. We never went out for drinks or anything like that. Two of her daughters babysat my boys on few occasions and I one on one drove them a few blocks back home.

Maybe I have distorted liberal humor, but my view is cheaters are going to cheat. They will find a way. But a den meeting with with a bunch of small children is not one of those opportunities for temptation. Maybe I am an exception but in 19 years of marriage there has never been another woman I had a real desire to cheat with.

With that standard I don't see how anyone can participate in the job market in this country.

I'm glad you have Mormon friends. Doesn't change the fact the Mormon bigamy jokes are a bigoted joke... I'm sure you have Jewish friends, but if you made a comment about my Pack excelling at being thrifty, it'd be an off-color joke.

That said, her faith based CO prohibits here from being assigned as a co-leader with a single male partner. I don't pretend to understand Mormon law, but both Halacha (Jewish Law) and Sharia (Islamic Law) have similar provisions. I have no idea what Church Canon says on the matter. So between insulting her religion (and the religion of other peoples) and telling a "Mormon joke," I suggest you simply apologize, walk away from this conversation, and ask yourself why you felt the need to interject with bigoted comments on this blog.

You need some sensitivity training. It's 2013, it's not acceptable in polite society to insult the religious views of others OR tell ethnic jokes about someone's religion.

KDD wrote, "I am certainly not trying to be disrespectful of her faith, but I have a hard time understanding this particular situation. "

Bullshit. You insulted her religious restriction is absurd, and in your apology dismissed it as " cheaters are going to cheat"

What's your point? This isn't about her contemplating an affair, this is about a religious prohibition on her being in a one-on-one situation with a man not her husband. She didn't suggest she was attracted to him, just that LDS prohibits it. Since you're not LDS, the WHY is none of your business. That's what respecting the religious views of others requires, it doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, it's her religion, NOT yours.

Point taken Alex. I appoligize for my comments.

Apparently scouts is back on. Cub master lady came over to tell me that we're having pack meeting tomorrow night- basically because she's the bishop's wife and could over-rule him in this matter. She says we're doing den meetings again- starting next week and we're not joining up with the other pack because they were rude and don't like us. That's her version anyway. She says she's going to do webelos and I'll just have to do wolves and bears. I don't have any plans, but I'll start making some.

Apparently scouts is back on. Cub master lady came over to tell me that we're having pack meeting tomorrow night- basically because she's the bishop's wife and could over-rule him in this matter. She says we're doing den meetings again- starting next week and we're not joining up with the other pack because they were rude and don't like us. That's her version anyway. She says she's going to do webelos and I'll just have to do wolves and bears. I don't have any plans, but I'll start making some.
FYI - In situations like this, I find flowers or really nice chocolates with your sons' signature on a simple card go a long way in conveying how important it is to have someone "step in the gap" on your behalf.
And I need someone! She wants to do craftsman- the wood part. Bears and wolves will do their version. I know how to do everything for wolf, but not how to make a tool box. My son never finished his. I'm going to ask around to see if some guys would come help. Fortunately, we're going to keep the evening time, which will allow for all those parents, who work normal hours to come and help. (Even though we are encouraged to hold scouts during the day.)