Court of honor dress

OK, so a minor hijack but along the same lines. My son's Court of Honor is next month. Do I go as Dad or Scoutmaster? I've asked him but haven't gotten a response yet. I'm leaning towards Dad because that's my favorite role.
Been there twice.

At the heart of our troop's traditional presentation is our CC reading a bio on the Eagle, the COR reading the "Eagle Charge" to the Scout and me telling a pithy (okay, I think they're pithy) story, sometimes a like a SM minute other times just something noteworthy or exemplary about the Scout. The Eagle medal is then handed down the long line of Eagles and then I give the medal to mom, who pins it on, dad presents the certificate, then the Scout does the Mom, Dad and Mentor pins.

For my sons' ECOHs, I told my story, then made a point of turning the remainder of the presentation back over to the CC. I became "dad" again and the CC took the SM part of the ceremony. So I sorta had it both ways.

Being the Scoutmaster's kid is like being the teacher's kid or the minister's kid. It has its pluses and minuses but it's a special relationship. Both my boys were up in the air about my participation. They wanted me to be dad, but their dad is the Scoutmaster. In other words, their ECOH was just like the rest of their Scouting career. We all agreed it would be weird for me to show up in a coat and tie and ignore the fact that Scouting has been something we've done together. Besides, half the troop wouldn't recognize me out of uniform.

It worked for us. Talk to your son and find something that works for you two.

I'd wear a uniform, but that's me. I'm also an Eagle so the medal is worn. Not an official website, but http://www.scoutinsignia.com/eagmedal.htm states you can wear the medal in civilian dress. I know I read it once that it was ok, wish I could remember where.

And I just noticed that "Adults wear onlyon formal Eagle occasions." p 30 of the Guide to Awards and Insignia.

Since the insignia guide is careful to point out whether items are for uniform, non-uniform or formal wear, it must me intentional and therefore OK to wear the medal in civilian dress.
ya know I bet a Scottish kilt and a class A shirt would look kinda Bad A$$

Our ASM wears that ensemble quite frequently. I wouldn't call it Bad A$$; unless of course, someone flips the kilt over his head while he's napping, LOL!
I'd wear a uniform, but that's me. I'm also an Eagle so the medal is worn. Not an official website, but http://www.scoutinsignia.com/eagmedal.htm states you can wear the medal in civilian dress. I know I read it once that it was ok, wish I could remember where.

And I just noticed that "Adults wear onlyon formal Eagle occasions." p 30 of the Guide to Awards and Insignia.

Nice find! Thank you!

While not quite the same magnitude as the Eagle CoH, in our Cub Pack, for the Arrow of Light / Bridging ceremony; when the Cubmaster's son(s) are recipients/graduates, the CM becomes another parent and the MC and presentation duties pass along to other pack leaders.

Regarding the use of medals. It is good and right to wear the Eagle medal with civilian dress in formal situations where medals are worn. (I know these are rare for most folks. Happens once every few years for me.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it may never be worn on a military dress uniform (armed services rule, not scouting's). An exception can be made if the scout is enlisted at the time he has his court of honor.

• 1 month later...

Believe it or not, the SPL who really worked with when I was a brand new PL got permission to wear both an Eagle tie bar (an old one that was a gift to him) and his Eagle medal with is military uniform at my ECOH. Also had a recruiter show up briefly with Eagle medal on too. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for his wife, he had to leave just after arriving due to her going into labor. I saw him take it off while leaving.